Emigration rates of countries

hhiusa

Interestingly, or maybe not, whichever the case may be, emigration rates for the US are the lowest in the world. Emigration rate for the US is 0.5%. Australia comes in close second with 1.8% as of 2012.

This table shows the emigration from various countries by percentage of the population and the percentage of the population that is highly educated according to the OECD. Ireland, Croatia and Latvia show the highest levels of emigration for the tertiary-educated population. The OECD classifies this as "brain drain". In the United Kingdom, it appears that the higher an education that it is achieved, there is a greater probability that they will emigrate for greener pastures.

https://www.cesifo-group.de/portal/page/portal/lang-en/DocBase_Content/ZS/ZS-CESifo_DICE_Report/zs-dice-2011/zs-dice-2011-4/dicereport411-db2.pdf
Screen_Shot_2015_06_16_at_2_23_47_PM.png

http://wdi.worldbank.org/views/download/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?filename=6.13_Movement_of_people_across_borders.pdf&filetype=pdf
http://wdi.worldbank.org/table/6.13

Maybe not a surprise US emigration is low, but why is it SO low compared to anywhere else? Its almost off the scale.

Maybe not a surprise US emigration is low, but why is it SO low compared to anywhere else? Its almost off the scale.

my guess is US "emigration" actually happens within US borders..changing state for university or work is not uncommon..

That statistic of Americans not emigrating doesn't necessarily surprise me
Asked where Europe is, they draw a blank
So with the intelligence that low where are they going to emigrate to would be their main concern. That and how to spell emigration of course.

my guess is US "emigration" actually happens within US borders..changing state for university or work is not uncommon..

But that's really common in the UK too. Its very uncommon here to be able to attend a local university for a degree from the family home, it almost always means moving to another city.

But I suppose the US is big enough and varied enough to have more than 1 major, socially and financially attractive area for re-location into all sorts of work - New York and California leading the way. In the UK, I have heard people say they wanted to move to London for work but nowhere else here comes to mind as a dream destination mentioned in conversation. I'm also thinking much of the UK emigration is retirees moving to warmer drier climates.

But that's really common in the UK too. Its very uncommon here to be able to attend a local university for a degree from the family home, it almost always means moving to another city.

But I suppose the US is big enough and varied enough to have more than 1 major, socially and financially attractive area for re-location into all sorts of work - New York and California leading the way. In the UK, I have heard people say they wanted to move to London for work but nowhere else here comes to mind as a dream destination mentioned in conversation. I'm also thinking much of the UK emigration is retirees moving to warmer drier climates.

That may be the case concerning some wanting to move to warmer drier climates for retirement. The chart also shows that 22.5% of people leaving the UK are educated. That is a sizeable portion of the countries educated. It also shows a growing trend between higher education and a higher rate of emigration. England has an education rate of just above 40% for 2013. More precisely, 40% of the population enters university by age 30.

1. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/347864/HEIPR_PUBLICATION_2012-13.pdf
2. http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/blog/2013/jun/04/higher-education-participation-data-analysis

I have a question for people who live in the UK. If university is so incredibly cheap there, why don't more people attend?

These are ranked according to a scoring system by the article. These are not even the most expensive either. New York University was among the most expensive at $59,837.
1. MIT $45,016/year
2. Cambridge £9,000/year ... £22,923/year for non-EU students (still cheap)
3. Imperial College London £9,000/year ... £25,500/year for non-EU students
4. Harvard $43,938/year
5. Oxford £9,000/year
6. Stanford $44,184/year
7. Cal Tech $41,790/year
8. Princeton $41,820/year
9. Yale $44,800/year

http://www.topuniversities.com/student-info/student-finance/tuition-fees-world%E2%80%99s-top-universities

Since the emigration rates in the UK are similar in most of Europe, the British are not immigrating to other parts of Europe as they are to places with low emigration rates like the US and Australia. In response to @tomorton's statement about much of the UK emigrant population being pensioners, only 26% of the UK's emigrant population are pensioners.

Screen_Shot_2015_06_17_at_6_19_51_AM.png

That statistic of Americans not emigrating doesn't necessarily surprise me
Asked where Europe is, they draw a blank
So with the intelligence that low where are they going to emigrate to would be their main concern. That and how to spell emigration of course.

I remember that their top man George Bush couldn't find Afghanistan on the world map. It was the Green one George. With leaders of that calibre no wonder they lost all the wars and their money.

I remember that their top man George Bush couldn't find Afghanistan on the world map. It was the Green one George. With leaders of that calibre no wonder they lost all the wars and their money.

I guess it is no surprise that the more educated someone is, the more likely they are to emigrate from the UK.

How else do you think we conquered the world?

Last edited:
Interestingly, or maybe not, whichever the case may be, emigration rates for the US are the lowest in the world. Emigration rate for the US is 0.5%. [/URL]

I think 9/11 has got a lot to do with it. Without offence. Americans are often targeted around the world.

I work in insurance. Kidnap and Ransom premiums, as well as terrorism related policies cost 10 fold compared to those for people from other nations. Some underwriters won't even look at the risk.

I think 9/11 has got a lot to do with it. Without offence. Americans are often targeted around the world.

I work in insurance. Kidnap and Ransom premiums, as well as terrorism related policies cost 10 fold compared to those for people from other nations. Some underwriters won't even look at the risk.

It still doesn't explain the fact that more British are coming the US than Americans to the UK. Additionally, British people are coming to the US more than any other country except for Australia. This begs the question, "why go to the US?". Perhaps they are thinking what I am thinking.

I remember hearing an American say living in the UK was like living in just one, incredibly interesting room.

It still doesn't explain the fact that more British are coming the US than Americans to the UK. Additionally, British people are coming to the US more than any other country except for Australia. This begs the question, "why go to the US?". Perhaps they are thinking what I am thinking.

I don't really understand your point. To emigrate to another western country is not easy. You need financial backing, and some form of skill that your target country requires .

What your basically saying is that growing up in the UK gives you a better chance of having the skills and stability to chose where in the world you wish to live and work? If thats the case it speaks volumes about our society.

Or maybe its because your women love our accent? BOOOOOOM green card sorted!

I don't really understand your point. To emigrate to another western country is not easy. You need financial backing, and some form of skill that your target country requires.

Why would you need financial backing? If you trade for a living, then you can live anywhere with an internet connection. If you are educated in field that is actually worthwhile like the sciences, then problem solved. A degree in chemistry or physics will get you a job in the US as easy as it would in the UK. The only possibility that I can foresee someone having trouble is if they have no transferable skills. For instance, someone working in a factory in Coventry.

What your basically saying is that growing up in the UK gives you a better chance of having the skills and stability to chose where in the world you wish to live and work? If thats the case it speaks volumes about our society.

Ironically, that is a compliment. It is interesting that you mention "a better chance of having the skills and stability to choose where in the world you wish to live". They have the upward mobility to live anywhere and yet they are choosing to live in the US and Australia instead of staying put. That's basically what you have eluded to.

I was pointing out that I was surprised that people do not attend universities in droves with the tuitions being pennies on the dollar to the costs here. The government seems to help out tremendously more than ours and yet the entrance numbers alone are low (40%). Is there some better alternative to universities that I do not know about or do jobs there not necessarily require degrees? It may be worth it to study abroad and save a fortune.

Or maybe its because your women love our accent? BOOOOOOM green card sorted!

The only British accent we like is the Londoner's accent. Basically, if you don't have a posh English accent, then we think it sounds as bad as someone from New Jersey or the Midwest.