EJ Daytraders v The Rest of The World

Good morning all.

Up late and have missed the break at 131.22 short, 45SL & 45 PT. So I need a retrace to 131.22 or better before going short, without it going past 20 pips profit & retracing more than 30 beyond the original EP.

The average is 76G & safe 50 so technically an NQ day but these figures have been adversley hit by the BH so I will still execute a trade if I get a decent retrace

Could have got in at the original EP or better, so the official trade is on. I was waiting for a better retrace as I feel that the BRN could be a problem. Hope I won't regret it

Yesterday's trade expired at 8.45 pm with +13 pips.

Today, the EP Long is at 130.53 & Short at 129.98' 45SL & 45 target.

Not too confident about either trade and will monitor closely after one or the other qualifies; however, the official trade stands come what may

Yesterday's official trade lost 45 pips though I didn't trade as all was so slow

I hope that today will be better for movement. I have put in an order to buy at 130.36 with a 45SL & 45 PT & sell at 129.92 45SL & 45 PT. I will cancel the 2nd trade order as soon as the first trade triggers

W/E 30.8.13 results +27+45+13-45+45 = 85 = minus 113 C/Fwd so pulled back a bit last week

The EJ 3 day average is 82GRR, safe range 54R.

US Bank holiday tomorrow so we need to see if there is any movement in the morning and be very wary of after noon trades

Good morning. This looks tough to me. If I take into account brokerage and a few pips from 9.001 on Friday I have 62 pips v an 82R average.
Should go long at 130.34 & short at 129.75 but I am going to sit on the fence atm with only 20 pips in the offing on a US bank holiday. May try a retrace trade later or even a reversal trade if the circumstances look right.

Whilst I may execute a personal trade this is best marked up as an NQ day for my "trend" method

Has this exercise ceased?
was following avidly, but seems to have petered out.

Sorry Trendie not to have posted for a while.

I have changed my tactics a bit on the EJ as it has gone through a spate of daily low ranges and I got fed up with setting a 45SL and having to settle for less than 45 pips profits.

I can still post up the EP's on the EJ which should still prove profitable to follow but I am now using a 20SL which means I have to watch the price action before executing a trade

Let me know If you wish me to continue with it?

Has this exercise ceased?
was following avidly, but seems to have petered out.

Sorry Trendie not to have posted for a while.

I have changed my tactics a bit on the EJ as it has gone through a spate of daily low ranges and I got fed up with setting a 45SL and having to settle for less than 45 pips profits.

I can still post up the EP's on the EJ which should still prove profitable to follow but I am now using a 20SL which means I have to watch the price action before executing a trade

Let me know If you wish me to continue with it?

OK, From Monday I will start posting again.

Perhaps the end of the summer period will get the EJ out of the doldrums.

Whilst today's range was just 57, yesterday was 266.

There's still life in the EJ yet.

If and when it gets going with regular average daily range pips up to the 200 mark I will once again be able to work on the easier to achieve safe range targets, until that time I have to be flexible and work around using smaller SL's so as to achieve an appropriate ratio of profits to risk.

What this means in practice is that whereas I was happy to set orders to execute using the 11pm - 6am criteria range and use a 45SL (sleep walking into trades and engineered to suit my friends who had little time to devote to PC user time whilst they had to go out and do their day jobs). low range days demand a focus on using smaller SL's to achieve smaller gains whilst ensuring long term profitability. For example, it is OK to set a 45SL when the average 3 day ranges quite easily exceed 150 pips because after allowing for the band width the profit could well exceed 100 pips v a 45SL. However with ranges coming in at below 100 pips then after allowing for band widths one is lucky to even get to a 1:1 profit ratio of 45 pips.

Hence, whilst I will advise on a potential gain which may have to exceed the 3 day average to achieve a 45 pip target then unless and until I see the ranges improve I will actively let the EJ qualify for a trade then will either wait for a retrace of a minimum of 15 pips before entering the trade in the original direction or, if the circumstances look right, as evidenced by a strong move upwards or downwards then may execute a trade right away. However, in both circumstances I will only be using a 20 pip SL. The risk with the first choice is that by waiting to execute a trade one may completely miss price just taking off and missing a winning trade. If one loses out by not executing a winning trade then there is a tendency to feel aggrieved that an opportunity has been missed. This can also lead to acting on impulse and executing a trade and more often than not just losing money. The way I look at it is that I at least did not lose any money and just await the next opportunity to come along, even if I have to wait until the next day. The second choice also carries the risk that a 20SL is just not enough to cover a winning trade allowing for the normal ups and downs in the progression to a winning trade. This is more tricky than the first choice since if one makes a mistake one actually loses money. However, from past experience, I know that when price takes off from the 11pm - 6am criteria one just cannot have any hope of achieving a retrace before the trade becomes a winner. Hence, a chance has to be taken that price will forge ahead and that the 20SL will not be broken. I cannot detail here all the circumstances that make it look as though this will happen but you will have to follow my trades so as to see how I arrive at the decision. One thing I will say is this. Should price reverse and look like taking out my stop, never in any circumstances extend the SL. Just let it lose. Golden rule.

Like it or not this is the only way I can think of to combat a spate of low range average days.

This has taken a bit of time to sort out in my head and express it on paper or electronically so please forgive me for taking a bit of time out before resuming my posts.

I will be back on Monday and whilst my personal trades may not be as mechanical as the EJ system I will quote both and hope that one way or another I will resume a winning thread.

Hi Guys,

My PC has been playing up.

Anyway the 3 day average on the EJ is 135 GGR and the safe range is 90G

the current bandwidth is 23 pips and price has been dropping.

Plenty of scope for a trade at 6am atm

Back later

Good morning Guys,

Overslept badly, The high on the EJ was 134.415 +3 = EP 134.45, The low was 133.967 - 2 = EP 133.94 as can be seen by time period 11pm - 6am. The bandwidth is 47 or 49 depending whether one trades short or long.

The trade has qualified short at 133.94. The pattern was a smooth drop down to with some resistance to go up then a downward move to qualify around the BRN. I have been waiting for a retrace to 134.09 and have missed it once, as i prefer using a 20SL as opposed to a 45 SL; but 45 should be OK with at least a 50 pips target

Managed to go short at 134.10 using a 20 SL and a very optimistic 100 pips target. Will watch closely and amend or exit if I get past 30 pips profits and it looks like turning. Obviously if it keeps going up I will lose 20 pips

The 3 day average on the EJ is 154GRR and the safe range is 102R

We have an ecstatic 12 pip range on the EJ today so scope for a trade after 6am tomorrow