Easier to Spreadbet Stocks or Forex?

hybrid

I have spent time learning charts, methods, plans, risk, discipline, and I starting testing soon.

Which is easier for a n00b to start with - forex (which i have studied), and stocks (studied only a little so far).

My style will be using daily, 4h, and 1hr charts, between 10am and 12am GMT....using mainly Candlestick Price Action and trendlines.

note: i am not keen on going thro too much news each day and am more into tech analysis.

I have spent time learning charts, methods, plans, risk, discipline, and I starting testing soon.

Which is easier for a n00b to start with - forex (which i have studied), and stocks (studied only a little so far).

My style will be using daily, 4h, and 1hr charts, between 10am and 12am GMT....using mainly Candlestick Price Action and trendlines.

note: i am not keen on going thro too much news each day and am more into tech analysis.

What does 'easier' mean? It's probably easier to trade FX, in that you can lose money quickly with very little effort, but otherwise you might as well ask how long is a piece of string.

You've learnt discipline before you've placed your first trade. Wish I could have done that.

Which is easiest? There are many factors in quantifying that and that which may seem easiest in testing may not be so for you in reality - what you're doing has got to fit you, your life going on around you etc. No one is going to be able to give you any kind of meaningful answer I fear.

It depends what you mean by easier. I would say probably FX rather than SB. The market is more liquid and with SB you are at the mercy of your broker. Also with FX the correlations are a bit easier to read. IMHO.
:D

It depends what you mean by easier. I would say probably FX rather than SB. The market is more liquid and with SB you are at the mercy of your broker. Also with FX the correlations are a bit easier to read. IMHO.
:D

thanks.

yes, easier was the wrong word....i suppose i mean 'more accomodating' for new live traders.

what do you mean with "being at the mercy of a broker with stocks" - many spreadbet brokers allow stock 'bets' now (if this is relevant).

thanks.

yes, easier was the wrong word....i suppose i mean 'more accomodating' for new live traders.

what do you mean with "being at the mercy of a broker with stocks" - many spreadbet brokers allow stock 'bets' now (if this is relevant).

You are at the mercy of the broker whether you trade retail FX or spread bet, it doesn't matter what instrument you use for SBing. The issue is that the broker can, if they wish, defraud you using a variety of practices. This has been well proven in the forex world, less so in the SB world but that is due to a lack of effort by the non US authorities.

Using my technique of trading, my gut tells me stocks are easier than forex, regardless if it's spread betting or through a broker. For instance on a £1 stock, it can only go 99 pence against you assuming you don't completely mess up and pick a total looser. But in forex it can go 2000 pips against you before you can say uncle. It is far easier to structure a risk containment strategy in stocks than forex through deliberate selection of stocks that fit the strategy.

I trade forex, but I believe ultimately I should be in stocks. The 9-5 in stocks is better for life than the 24/5.5 in forex. But the 24/5.5 is more fun if you are seriously into trading and want the constant roller coaster ride. Although this cannot be good for health.

Last edited:

The answer is simple. Trade what everybody else is trading because that must be the easiest way to make money, right? Only a moron would trade a difficult instrument.

Be aware that anything you think you know about discipline can vanish in a flash when there money involved.

Imho its all the same, its just a price thats moving. Just be aware of the spread (costs) relative to the profit youre attempting to capture in the time frame youre trading.

Youre setting yourself 2 hours per day to trade those timeframes? sounds restrictive to me, whats the gist of your method?

Nothing wrong with that, keep it simple. Then make it simpler (y)

Re using a spreadbet/any other non DA broker. You should be fine as long as your method doesnt rely on their fills. If youre relying on pinpoint fills on stops etc, eventually youll get slipped, as per the 'real market'. Other issues can be size related. Ie you might have a problem exiting at 1000pp when the underlying cant take that size.
The 'there out to get you' thing is overdone imo. If youre a star trader using a method that they can tailcoat, you shouldnt have any problems.

You might find this of interest, post 14 a simple method

GL
Cheers D

Last edited:

It’s a tough one. In my opinion, it’s a matter of personal preference.

I have found that you can apply technical to stocks successfully, but you must be aware of the news at it can render your TA useless. I prefer stocks, but that’s another one for another day…

FX shows smoother trends, so I think you can get away with ignoring news and fundamentals more (although still a consideration, I find).

Example: technical signals may be showing a sell, but US non-farm data is due out. If it comes out better than expected, will throw your TA out completely. Therefore, I avoid trading over big events. Apply TAs when market noise is quiet, IMHO.

It is absolutely easier to spreadbet in forex. Rest all depends on your considering criteria.

It is absolutely easier to spreadbet in forex. Rest all depends on your considering criteria.

Why is it easier to spreadbet (in?) Forex ?

What do you mean by "considering criteria?"