EA use

Coolm

From the same platform, I have two accounts [one demo the other live, with equal margin, I employ the same EA. Problem is the live one trades one currency pair, few trades, all shot. The demo, on the other hand trades a basket of pairs long and shot, needless to say its growing exponentially.

Let me confess that I might have contributed to this anomaly by unwittingly adjusting my trades on the live account [I would use trailing stops at times trying to protect my capital]

How can I correct this?

Stop unwittingly adjusting live trades outside your operational parameters.

Stop using automated trading software.

Trade only your demo manually until you have achieved consistent performance without modification to your operational methods for a year.

Trade your live account manually. Do not tweak it, unwittingly or otherwise.

You're trading your live and demo accounts differently and each with different FX pairs and you wonder why your getting different results?

All points in my prior post still stand, but if this post doesn't answer your specific concerns I'll let someone else have a go.

Trade your live account manually. Do not tweak it, unwittingly or otherwise.

Good advice. Just show this today in the price action lab blog where the author who appears to be a very knowledgeable trader recommends the same as in:

Fully automated systems for retail traders are like giving a race car to a 16-year old kid to go to school. Many accidents can happen along the way. If one cannot profit placing trades manually, the chances of profiting from automated trading are very low or 0.

I think most EAs fail. I have tried many over years and not one has sustained results and most when winning do not mirror the demo account results due to fill issues. By all means try them but trade 0.01 lot sizes and google for the EA review

I have demo and real account on MT5. Change periodicity on one and the other changes too.
The EA works well on demo but not on real. The min lot sizes differ. The real account the lot sizes are too large and quickly add up.

Hi Pat. Yes I am not surprised with what you say. We all think standing back that eg £5k is plenty to test a live EA using 0.01 lots that has a degree of martingale in it. Before you know it, the EA goes against us and many positions are opened. EAs are v risky and from my experience, seldom work. Also general technical analysis based strategies on forex are very difficult. I just think overall, forex is the hardest instrument to successfully trade. I am sure there is some chap sitting in a room working out the best way to shaft as many traders as possible!

The strategy tester is also unreliable imho. It tested brilliantly when I changed the parameters but when it came to real money, it was useless. In MT5 they are sold as " black box " systems that cannot be changed much. MT4 shows the code.

Last edited:
I'm on MT4.

the problem sometimes that conditions of brokers different between their demo and real. Because if trader go well first at demo after that trader shure go at real if demo was with good experience. I meen at demo sometimes stop levels easy and spread with exeqution better .... its playing(n) and brokers trick

for example some brokers at demo give 0.01 start lot but when you open Real they give 0.1 only.

Be shure that you learn all Real conditions and terms of your Broker:)
Some brokers can change their conditions without any pre mailing You lol:cry:

More Learn - Better Sleep

Last edited:
Hi, I need to find a reliable broker with a good platform to execute EA strategies in a secure low latency environment, ideally with a VPS service. I find FinFX are a niche player, but their commissions per trade could be lower. I have heard of another very highly rated up and coming broker in Finland on another forum but I can't recall the thread I saw it on. Please advise if you have heard of this, or another strong alternative, thx