Dow 2007

Hi LL....they're derived from options....

I normally trade what they call a one touch binary,where the Dow needs to touch a specific level during the trading day..e.g if Dow is trading at 13300 at 6pm tomorrow I'd buy a one touch 13150 and 13450...these at that time would typically have a spread of 5-9,so you'd buy at 9.....if £10 per point your maximum loss would be 9 x £10 x 2trades =£180....if after 7.15pm the Dow rallies or tanks 150pts and touches your specified price,i.e 13150 or 13450 then that makes up at 100pts...so profit is 100-9(buy price)x £10= £910 - the other £90 losing trade....total= £820

Of course if Dow doesn't move at all you'd lose on both trades 2 x £90....the trades would make up at 0

I find them more comfortable to trade on FOMC days as I don't care where the market goes......

cheers

I'd give you some kudos for that informative post, but I need to spread some around before giving it to you again. Sorry. I had heard of those, and I did make a few comments on the new BetsForTraders thread. I think I'll stick to spread betting for the time being. Much as I would like to net £820 tomorrow, it is not something I am familiar with and I am trying to do proper YM trading meanwhile. Something to think about for when I have built up a bankroll though.

Oh, and on your worked example, you missed out option three. Market rallies, hits long target, and then falls 300 points to the other target, netting £1600 :p (I know, highly unlikely).

Cheers.

I think short on the Dow on a pullback to the EMA. Lets see what happens with opening volatility.

Hi LL....they're derived from options....

I normally trade what they call a one touch binary,where the Dow needs to touch a specific level during the trading day..e.g if Dow is trading at 13300 at 6pm tomorrow I'd buy a one touch 13150 and 13450...these at that time would typically have a spread of 5-9,so you'd buy at 9.....if £10 per point your maximum loss would be 9 x £10 x 2trades =£180....if after 7.15pm the Dow rallies or tanks 150pts and touches your specified price,i.e 13150 or 13450 then that makes up at 100pts...so profit is 100-9(buy price)x £10= £910 - the other £90 losing trade....total= £820

Of course if Dow doesn't move at all you'd lose on both trades 2 x £90....the trades would make up at 0

I find them more comfortable to trade on FOMC days as I don't care where the market goes......

cheers

Great, my otFeed/ECBOT for YMU7 is lagging and hanging. I now need to rely on a SB price. No trades until that is fixed.

I'm working from the CMC Markets SB price and the cbot.com YM live book.

Is it just me, or is half the financial Internet broken? TradIndex are getting really slow with page loads (not nice when trying to trade), and CMC Marketmaker is showing a +5s response time.

It is really buggering up my trading. Take this trade for example:

Open 27/06/2007 14:54 Sell £1 1 13409
Closed 27/06/2007 14:54 Buy £1 1 13408 £1.00

A perfectly valid short from near the highs. Had to cover at +1 net of spread due to unresponsiveness of platform. I closed the order and was about to press the speeddial for TradIndex to cover it.

Open 27/06/2007 14:54 Sell £1 1 13409

And TradIndex now quote 13382/87 on the YM. I should be happy to get out of a "technical issues" trade at +1 instead of -$obscene, but still - I should have a good +30 for my insight there. otFeed is properly dead also.

</rant>

Long 91. Stop 80. Target 410. Lower volume on decline. Tick divergence.

Out for.....+1. :( What was that!

I wasn't fast enough for getting out at +5 or +7, but the short term direction looked a little...uncertain, so glad to be out. I got out because of total uncertainty there.

So far, 4 trades
3 wins
1 loss
Win %: 75
Average Win: 3.3
Average Loss: 14

I rather doubt it but perhaps we could all talk in the same currency ie Dow futures or cash. It can get confusing especially when they are close togethor. Personally I prefer talking Dow cash even though I trade S&P futures. The tick chart is in cash.
BTW FW why do you prefer futures to daily cash ? Isnt the spread smaller on cash ?

Not too sure what to make of the declining volume on the YM right now. it looks like it is picking up there at 81 was touched. TIck is in decline, but struggling to break below zero. 380 seems to be holding short term. Not too sure, so I'm flat. Maybe long on rejection of sub 380 prices.

No shorts for me this low down.

What a bummer, out -20

Sorry to hear that mate. I've had a -14 today and I didn't like that much either.

Okay, who got a buy in on the rejection of 80. I was too busy nattering here. That would be a nice quick +20 for anyone with the round number target.

Okay, so we're still range bound between 380 and 400. No surprises there. Volume picked up on the last 5m bar with the 20 point range between both ends. T&S looks fairly neutral, but I think a break of 400 is likely.

Either way, I'm flat until a proper break of 400 or 380.