Dow 2006

now we can start a game:

goldlocks > goldielocks > boldielocks > boldlocks > ... isn't it tempting to remove the d?

Mr De-o-luxe said:
Right , so what happens if the figure just happens to be a Goldlocks.

We go up. If the figure is between 200K and 300K, I think we will see a decent up day. We've got the oil price down, so I think we could see a bit of a rally.

On the other had, it is friday, and from the geopolitical angle (Israel/Palestine, Bush/Iran, Muslim Cartoons) you can see why people may to be too keen to hold positions over the weekend.

Clearly this market is going to break out of its 10690 - 11000 range at some point. I could list quite a number of reasons why I think it will be down, but I think it will be some sort of exogenous event that will determine the big move rather than a piece of economic data.

Non Farms come in at 193K. Guess the economists got it wrong. Once again, you suspect all these Banks want everyone on their side.

Again we see that there seems to be a disparity between the unemployment rate (4.7% exp. 4.9%) and the Non Farms (193K exp. 250K). December's figures were revised up by 81K. All in all, I have never been that convinced by the Non Farm measure. There is a "make it up as we go along" sense about them.

What does matter is the average earnings figure (0.4% exp. 0.3%). Not a big deal yet but with wages up 3.3% y.o.y. and housing prices/starts coming off, I keep thinking stagflation.

I have a feeling that the market would have dropped regardless of the figures, that's just an excuse, but maybe I am just cynical

Alcoa, the world's largest aluminum producer, gave the Dow average its biggest boost after the stock was upgraded by JP Morgan analysts. [ID:nBNG244282] Alcoa's shares climbed 4.7 percent, or $1.45, to end at $32.03 on the New York Stock Exchange.

Just standing back for a moment and looking at the markets over the last month, it seems that neither the bulls nor the bears can get an upper hand.

Both camps seem to be citing evidence for their respective stances. For the bulls, the peaking of interest rates later this year combined with a high level of M&A activity is given to support their case. It is also worth saying that, despite a few big companies disappointing on Q4 results, most put in reasonable figures. For the bears the high oil price, geopolitical threats and the inversion of the US yield curve are put forward as evidence for a fall in equities.

My own view is to side with the bears. The oil price is a problem, but until Iran take its production off the market, supply should not be a major problem. That said, I was quite surprised, bearing in mind the weekend events re: Iran, that NYMEX did not make a bid for $70 yesterday. On the subject of oil, it is also worth noting that both Shell's and BP's results have been viewed by the market as disappointing. (Shell fell 1.5% and BP is down 2.6%). I remember posting last year, that the oil companies profits were getting squeezed due to insurance costs of rigs, security costs, more costly exploration to maintain upstream reserves. If these companies go out of favour with the analysts (and I'm not saying they will) the FTSE could shed 10% very rapidly.

The US housing market will be a big factor (possibly the biggest factor) in where the markets are going in the medium term. On average house prices rose 16% last year. That will not be repeated this year. Even if prices were to rise 5% this year, I think we will see a significant pullback in consumption of durable goods and automobiles.

Inflation is definitely not "licked" yet. We saw on friday that there was evidence of wage inflation (wages up 3.3% last year). It may not be a problem yet, but if we throw in high costs of oil and just about every other commodity, it means the FOMC can't take its eye off the ball.

My own expectation is that some sort of exogeneous event will kick the markets out of this tight range. The most obvious example would be strikes against Iran. Even, if that did not happen, and lets say Iran withdrew its oil from the market for, say, a week, then that would be enough to send NYMEX to $85 - 90.

Lastly, we should be asking ourselves, if everything is hunky dory, as the Fed rent - a - gobs want us to believe why is POG at $573?

macbonzo said:
Lastly, we should be asking ourselves, if everything is hunky dory, as the Fed rent - a - gobs want us to believe why is POG at $573?
What or who is POG ?

Cheers ajaskey.

GOOGLE off a further 4% today.
It has now dropped over $100 or 22% in the last 4 weeks !

Is it soooooo boring that everyone has gone on holiday....

......or have you all frozen to death there?

Anyway I got blown out of the water with my NDX short at a cost of 15 points .
Persistance appears to have paid of with a gain of 20 on a new short from 1675.

To me it looks like all the action is in the Techs. Is there a conflict between the Ciscos and the Googles?

I was waiting for a bit more on the Nas before i went in. I may have missed the boat? I'll be gutted if it takes out the January lows in the next few days.

RUDEBOY said:
I was waiting for a bit more on the Nas before i went in. I may have missed the boat? I'll be gutted if it takes out the January lows in the next few days.
It will take out the January lows - don't know when put price action awful at the moment. Looking at the futures there seems to be massive resistance approaching Dow 11k - this reverses and then follows through on the Nasdaq. Got a little short trade today but didn't max potential.

Think I'll go back into Nat Gas seems to be bottoming and ready for a nice bounce.
icon12.gif

I hear you, SP! All i can say is this though, matey (you may be on the same wave length here, i don't know?), but, if the Dow double tops.........you can call me Mr. Pongy Bum........FOREVER!

Fed's Moskow: Rates near neutral, may have to go higher

http://www.chicagofed.org/news_and_conferences/speeches/2006_02_09_rma_chicago.cfm

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid={3303267C-C4D7-4D73-92B1-3DD14EB52346}&siteid=mktw

There are other concerns, however. First, given the limited resource slack currently in the economy, possible increases in resource utilization have the potential to increase inflationary pressures. Second, if—for whatever reason—we indeed start to see a string of higher inflation numbers, then people may begin to expect permanently higher inflation. Such expectations could become self-fulfilling if businesses and households factor them into their spending and investing decisions. We could then have a sustained, higher rate of inflation. And this would have adverse effects on longer term economic performance. Fortunately, current financial market data and consumer surveys suggest that long-run inflation expectations remain contained.

Last edited:
Racer said:
Fed's Moskow: Rates near neutral, may have to go higher

http://www.chicagofed.org/news_and_conferences/speeches/2006_02_09_rma_chicago.cfm

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B3303267C%2DC4D7%2D4D73%2D92B1%2D3DD14EB52346%7D&siteid=mktw

There are other concerns, however. First, given the limited resource slack currently in the economy, possible increases in resource utilization have the potential to increase inflationary pressures. Second, if—for whatever reason—we indeed start to see a string of higher inflation numbers, then people may begin to expect permanently higher inflation. Such expectations could become self-fulfilling if businesses and households factor them into their spending and investing decisions. We could then have a sustained, higher rate of inflation. And this would have adverse effects on longer term economic performance. Fortunately, current financial market data and consumer surveys suggest that long-run inflation expectations remain contained.
I just watch the price action of Gold and CRB. Tells me all I need to know about inflation. Fed seems to have let the liquidity spigot gush - I think they're terrified of deflation and the stockmarket going kaput. Benny Benanke won't let deflation in and they HAVE to inflate to get rid of, or at least lessen the massive Federal debt.

There is no other way...
icon12.gif

Oh, and nobody will know any different, cause they're not publishing the M3 money stats any more. Clever...