Does anyone here actually make money trading?

You're spreadbetting. Therefore, you're beginning in the hole. Beginning in the hole, you're "pedalling uphill". If that's not what you had in mind, consider some other means of trading.

Db

*****Music from twilight zone cracks up*****

I spreadbet and get exactly the same prices as "real" traders....no really!

UTB

*****Music from twilight zone cracks up*****

I spreadbet and get exactly the same prices as "real" traders....no really!

UTB

If you're defining "real trader" as someone who's trading what you're trading and trading it in the same way.

Db

We live in an era where we have so much information. It's incredible and yet being able to filter and utilise the information requires effort.

I came across this video on my youtube travels. A fantastic eye-opener that had me immediately thinking about a possible trading system. However you decide to get into a trade and in whatever timeframe, this is a very smart way to get out safely and most importantly to maximise your profits.

Why do I post into this thread?

If you enter a trade chances are you got the entry wrong. Well here is a strategy that will get you out at a reasonable place for your chosen timeframe. It's all about trading smart and knowing when to get in and when to get out. Stop gambling and dreaming, try focusing on getting the right skills and emotional bank account to get the job done.

Last edited:
Now, this is just me and really à propos of nothing much, but as I'm sitting here slightly bored at the moment I thought I'd take the opportunity and contribute a constructive reminder that we all really, really need to remember to pack our Sat Phones while we're beach trading, see.

beachtrading_1974_6909288

hsc1607l.jpg

If you're defining "real trader" as someone who's trading what you're trading and trading it in the same way.

Db

.....erm....you've got me there. I just mean I pay the same price to the spreadbet company as I'd have paid through the broker - plus interest minus dividend. If that's the same thing....?

UTB

.....erm....you've got me there. I just mean I pay the same price to the spreadbet company as I'd have paid through the broker - plus interest minus dividend. If that's the same thing....?

UTB

That may be true, which is why I asked whether the thread had to do with trading or with spreadbetting. Apparently, it is the latter, in which case it takes the same tack as those TA threads which complain that TA doesn't work even though they define TA as whatever one does with indicators.

If one wants to make money trading, first learn how to trade. Then whether or not one chooses to trade via spreadbetting becomes only one of many options.

Db

That may be true, which is why I asked whether the thread had to do with trading or with spreadbetting. Apparently, it is the latter, in which case it takes the same tack as those TA threads which complain that TA doesn't work even though they define TA as whatever one does with indicators.

If one wants to make money trading, first learn how to trade. Then whether or not one chooses to trade via spreadbetting becomes only one of many options.

Db

Agreed.

UTB

Not to my knowledge they haven't, they're still here.

Can we get back on topic please ?

There is also a rumour going around that there are fair and unbiased moderators on this site...I guess only some people are allowed to say whatever they want :rolleyes:

Isn't the underlying message of the op, 'show me how to get rich; put up or shut up'.

My initial reaction, if posted, would get me a ban.

Grant.

Exactly. Give lessons or you are rude, bitter...etc...etc

His attitude may impress 18-year old bimbettes but it won't work here.

How's Soc's, by the way?

Grant.

There is also a rumour going around that there are fair and unbiased moderators on this site...I guess only some people are allowed to say whatever they want :rolleyes:

It’s not a rumour, it’s a fact.

This is an interesting and thought provoking thread. It will stay that way, with or without you.

Isn't the underlying message of the op, 'show me how to get rich; put up or shut up'.

I see your point. But in fairness to the original OP, he goes on to say “If I had methods capable of generating reliable returns I wouldn't be on an internet forum chatting about it……” So he’s kind of answered his own question(s) in that respect, no ?

Just my tuppence worth... I don't claim to be a guru.

First of all, of course people make money trading... if they didn't there wouldn't be much of an industry. I used to work for a very well known data service provider and I have met many successful traders at various banks. Although it is increasingly difficult to make 'easy money' from the highly liquid markets there are a lot of people making money in the more exotic fields simply because of the greater market inefficiencies that can be exploited.

I can't comment on individual trading systems (because I haven't researched them), however, I would question why anyone with a 'winning system' would actually tell anyone since it would just stop it working as everyone starts executing the same system. If I found a 'holy grail' I would not tell anyone and just exploit it until the opportunity is exhausted.

RichieE: thats fine in theory, but you could give the next 100 people that walked past your door, a winning system, and in 1yrs time, 95+ of them will have put it in a drawer some where and forgotten about it. That's just human nature.

Personally I have a winning system, it works for me, it suits my tolerances and personality, because I developed it principly for me. For others to make it work for them requires desire effort and time, I am more than happy to share it with members of this forum (see my posts) because by sharing I garnish knowledge too, and in no way does it affect the success of the system for the reason stated above. Furthermore, those that get it to work for them, will do so by using the sound principles it contains as a template to developing their own 'take' on it that best suits there own particular tolerances/personality.

Last edited:
RichieE: thats fine in theory, but you could give the next 100 people that walked past your door, a winning system, and in 1yrs time, 95+ of them will have put it in a drawer some where and forgotten about it. That's just human nature.
I agree, you can lead horses to water etc...
Personally I have a winning system, it works for me, it suits my tolerances and personality, because I developed it prinsiply for me.
This is probably the crux of the conversation... it suits YOUR tolerances and YOUR personality. Therefore there must be some subjectivity to your system otherwise you could just program a computer to do this all for you and eliminate the human element. However, if your system works well and enough people use it, won't the opportunity eventually eliminate itself?

if your system works well and enough people use it, won't the opportunity eventually eliminate itself?

In the sense that if everyone bought or sold at the same time on the same system signal, there would be insufficient sellers/buyres to take the other side of the trades, then yes in theory the system/any system would theoretically run into problems, but in the real world (lol) it isn't going to happen in any multi-participant liquid market.

I do make money trading forex. Firstly, why am I more admirable than the guy who opened an off licence just around the corner and is doing so well that he is opening two additional ones in two separate locations in London? I talk to him and I know I can't do what he has been doing to make the business work. And I am sure he can't do what I am doing. What is the big deal about trading? If you are undercapitalised, you will probably fail, but then if the guy is undercapitalised he will fail too. If you are afraid of losing so don't let your profits run long enough and grab tiny gains all the time, for example, you will fail. If the guy is afraid of the risk of his business failing, he will never do what he needs to do. If you don't like working hard you will fail. The same is true for him.

I know what he is doing and I can follow him and watch what he is doing, but I don't think I can, or want to, do what he does. It is the same in trading. I can tell you exactly what I do or you can come and watch me, but I am sure in the vast majority of cases, you will fail. It is then pretty silly to think it cannot be done.

Do people make money trading? Of course they do. Is it hard? Yes, but so is any other business where hard work, commitment, courage, patience and the willingness to lose are required.

All the best.

Couldn't agree more with the above post FX. In particular....

Do people make money trading? Of course they do. Is it hard? Yes, but so is any other business where hard work, commitment, courage, patience and the willingness to lose are required.

Absolutely, trading is no different to any other business venture.

Still, I guess nobody can blame anybody for asking if there's an alternative.

PT,

“If I had methods capable of generating reliable returns I wouldn't be on an internet forum chatting about it……”

And he’s of the opinion no one else would be. Or maybe it’s a ploy to draw people out. Hardly makes a deserving case.

Grant.