Do you take breaks?

DitterPD

We all have our ups and downs, we all trade for the profit, use our proven and time-tested trading strategy, we all have hobbies and things we enjoy doing (I hope) than trading.

But what about breaks, like vacation? Do you give yourself time to have a time without constant tracing of Fibonacci indicator? Without visiting you fav news site?
Or do you live this so much advertised life, even on vacation, where you sip your Mojito with your notebook in your lap and green curve line on the screen? :clover:

Do you have vacations or occasional breaks from trading?

We all have our ups and downs, we all trade for the profit, use our proven and time-tested trading strategy, we all have hobbies and things we enjoy doing (I hope) than trading.

But what about breaks, like vacation? Do you give yourself time to have a time without constant tracing of Fibonacci indicator? Without visiting you fav news site?
Or do you live this so much advertised life, even on vacation, where you sip your Mojito with your notebook in your lap and green curve line on the screen? :clover:

Yes of course. And intraday vacations too.

I believe everyone should take breaks. I usually take one or two days off when I've made a nice profit. Today I make a few trades based on signals in my trading strategy, but when i day traded I felt that it was very intensive to trade every day because of all the information you have to process.

Yes, at the starting when i faced some huge losses i took a break of almost six months and this was very much needed for me to gather knowledge and as well as to become confident.

Well, it depends. During the day, no, apart from **** breaks. Weeks off at a time, yes.

I'm currently leaving the office environment to go back to home-based trading, and I think I might just go back to a more relaxed way of day to day trading with a work-out session scheduled for lunch.

Yes of course. And intraday vacations too.

It's clear that we all have some intraday "vacations', I'm talking about going "off-grid" from MT or whatever you use and just enjoying the fresh air or alcohol content in "Sex on the beach" without asking yourself "has eur jumped or slumped"?

Yes, at the starting when i faced some huge losses i took a break of almost six months and this was very much needed for me to gather knowledge and as well as to become confident.

Now that you're confident in your abilities/experience, do you have 1-2 weeks off? That's what I'm asking..

no one can function indefinately at peak performance without taking a break or what they deem to be a break

Read "Winning without Losing" .........written by some scandy entrepreneurs......... it has some fascinating insights about sucess and how to achieve it without killing yourself..........also Seth Godin has a lot of ideas around doing how to achieve without that 100 hour week

N

I personally like to have a break from it all and that mean not taking the markets away with me. Having said that I will tend to take my breaks around quiet periods or period where the markets are flat. I prefer not to look at anything at al while I’m away, I will clear my open positions before I go so don’t have the worry of missing something and I catch up on my return. Sometimes it takes a while to catch up on what has been going on but 9 times out of 10 during the quiet periods it doesn’t take long at all.

My advice would be clear your positions, turn off your screen and get some relaxation.

no one can function indefinately at peak performance without taking a break or what they deem to be a break

Read "Winning without Losing" .........written by some scandy entrepreneurs......... it has some fascinating insights about sucess and how to achieve it without killing yourself..........also Seth Godin has a lot of ideas around doing how to achieve without that 100 hour week

N
Are you referring to this book "Winning Without Losing: 66 strategies for succeeding in business while living a happy and balanced life"?

Seth Godin seems like a guy whose main stream of income is from his writing & speaking.. So he knows how to talk and write with inspiration and conviction.. I would prefer to read advice from someone who had some valuable experience in the world or at least a mathematician who made it..

Last edited:
When we are losing money to the forex market frequently then there is need for taking break from the trading process so that we can concentrate more towards the learning process and again return with good knowledge for making good profits.

When we are losing money to the forex market frequently then there is need for taking break from the trading process so that we can concentrate more towards the learning process and again return with good knowledge for making good profits.

But I am talking about having a break in a normal flow of things, i.e., when you not having a crisis or lucky (hardly calculated) streak, but simply put another order and think "hey, maybe I should go to Hawaii".

Yes! Taking random breaks from trading is mandatory for me. And I really enjoy the off time, but I love to trading! So the breaks don't last very long ;)

Teeing and Peeing

Yes! Taking random breaks from trading is mandatory for me. And I really enjoy the off time, but I love to trading! So the breaks don't last very long ;)

I have frequent breaks because I drink lots of tea which makes me pee a lot :|

I think break is very important. Whenever I took break from trading always return with fresh mind. I always make sure there is no internet around me.

Actually yes, but my vacation are, as I would call them, forced break. You see, I set the daily, weekly and monthly loss limit. So, let's say I overcome my monthly limit during two weeks. Then I stop trading for the rest of month (at least on live account).

yea, I do take breaks from trading. Just notify the boss and you are off for a week. No charts, no forums, no VPS....just a holiday

yea, I do take breaks from trading. Just notify the boss and you are off for a week. No charts, no forums, no VPS....just a holiday

Notify the boss. So you send yourself an email from your 2nd email account? :D