Developing C++ applications on top of broker software

Carbonator

Hi guys,

Thanks for a great resource. I've been a lurker for some time, but finally decided to sign up.

I am fairly new to investing and trading, and still am in the process of reading bucket-loads of books just to get a hold of the basic ideas.

Anyhow, since I do have some slight experience in C++, I do have some questions regarding the use of my own programming and a broker application.

How limited are my abilities to 'manipulate' the data inputs and outputs I get from the application? Can I, for example, take the real-time feed and process it in an external C++ application? (that is, of course, without me having to enter values manually)
Can I automate a trade from my external C++ application, or would that require the application to have such feature built into it?

What are some general limitations? Are there, virtually, any?

I did a search, and some thread (can't find it; did the search earlier) gave me kind-of a heads-up that it is possible; if anybody could confirm, I'd be grateful.

(using the thinkorswim app. I know it's Java, so please also comment on this if this would create any compatibility issues)

Yours truly,

Hi guys,

How limited are my abilities to 'manipulate' the data inputs and outputs I get from the application? Can I, for example, take the real-time feed and process it in an external C++ application? (that is, of course, without me having to enter values manually)

Can I automate a trade from my external C++ application, or would that require the application to have such feature built into it?

Of course exact details depends on the feed and/or broker, but in general the answers are yes and yes if they provide suitable APIs. Certainly true for InteractiveBrokers TWS.

You will find life easier if you choose Java rather than C++. You might want to consider if something like Tradestation, NinjaTrader, Amibroker or other platforms meet your needs. Rolling your own is a LOT of work.

Or use Sierra Chart which has a C++ dll interface so you can create what you want (including calling and using external exes should you find a really special need).

For dlls, you only need the minimum ib compatible SC config.