Deal4free / CMC

seancass said:
I have just been reading this lengthy thread and find it quite puzzling that given the level of reserve and criticism aimed at Deal 4 Free, they claimed first place in the most recent poll over runners-up, Capitalspreads, among trade2win members.

From what I have heard and read I would have bet on Capitalspreads taking the gold. It's amazing.

With so much criticism levelled at D4F on this site there must indeed be folk who trade with them and are happy, but I wonder who they are?

Sean

you and me, both. :?:

UTB

seancass said:
I have just been reading this lengthy thread and find it quite puzzling that given the level of reserve and criticism aimed at Deal 4 Free, they claimed first place in the most recent poll over runners-up, Capitalspreads, among trade2win members.
It does seem absolutely bizarre, doesn't it? But, then again, eSignal won something without ProRealTime getting a look-in. And if that can happen, _anything_ can happen! :)

Have heard that very successful traders have been placed on telephone only dealing by CMC. Prices quoted to these traders are not very competitive. Heard similar stories about other spread bet companies.

Have been dealing through CMC since 2003 and must admit that whole of 2004 did not have any problems with them, but than again, I can not be classified as a very suuccessful trader, just successful. Aslo whole of 2004 I just traded CFDs. May be different set of rules for Spread bet?

In 2003 I had some problems like order screen freezing and linit buy order not filled in.

CMC CFD's

I trade with them for CFD's and have done for a few years, i have had a few gripes at times but on the whole they work for my strategy and i make money using them. That's what it's all about for me, i guess people who loose money with them might prefer to blame someone else rather than themselves.

No doubt bad brokers can cost you money but so can being a bad trader especially if rather than admit it you blame someone else that way you never deal with the problem.

PS One justified comment about them, try sending them an email and expect a response, not vey likely in my experience, just use the online chat or phone them, that seems to work ok.

Yes, from what I have read throughout the thread, the principal criticisms seem to be presented by the intra-day traders, and one can understand that SB firms, by virtue of their "bookie" status, may not be the most effective medium through which to trade intra-day.

To be fair to D4F there are few criticisms made by those using SB companies for position trading over days/weeks/longer, appearing to be an adequate vehicle for those longer term trades. I suppose one of the main attractions of D4F, and indeed IG, is the option of the guaranteed stop ( for which a fair premium has to be paid) when leaving positions open overnight.

It would appear then that of those who voted for Deal4Free the majority may well have been longer term investors rather than intra-day traders and that, of course, makes sense.

Sean

seancass said:
Yes, from what I have read throughout the thread, the principal criticisms seem to be presented by the intra-day traders, and one can understand that SB firms, by virtue of their "bookie" status, may not be the most effective medium through which to trade intra-day.

To be fair to D4F there are few criticisms made by those using SB companies for position trading over days/weeks/longer, appearing to be an adequate vehicle for those longer term trades. I suppose one of the main attractions of D4F, and indeed IG, is the option of the guaranteed stop ( for which a fair premium has to be paid) when leaving positions open overnight.

It would appear then that of those who voted for Deal4Free the majority may well have been longer term investors rather than intra-day traders and that, of course, makes sense.

Sean

I have to say I've never used D4F so can't criticise them. I'm just aware of the ammount of criticism thrown at them on this site and was suprised at their award. Maybe there's a silent majority on these boards.

I have noticed the bulk of criticicm of SB in general comes from short term traders who feel squeezed out - maybe because the SB firms struggle to lay their bets off, should the trader prove succesful.

UTB

I don't normally comment on other chat threads but ... contributers must remember that D4F for all of its perceived problems still quote very tight prices to clients, have a very loyal following and although I personally would love it to be the other way round they have about 100 times more customers than us.

In general, though not always, people only comment when they have a problem so a false impression may be perceived from regular readers of the threads as to actually how many satisfied clients D4F have.

As it happens, in our first year of trading, we were surprised to even be mentioned against the other companies and were very pleased to pick up Silver.

Simon

yes i have

yes i have actually trade on the site with the demo account for about 6 weeks,i love it so much that i need to fund the account as soon as possible bcos i make 150% gain in 3 weeks of trading with the dummy money.i use the cnbc and bllomberg to place most of the trade
pretty good stuff and a big company to deal with.

Tito

Be warned.. d4f are totally different when real money is at work... I know lots of traders who have serious problems with them..
delayed tickets/requotes etc etc etc.. but if you don't believe.. you will just have to wait and then you will

The bitching usually comes from the losers who haven't yet grasped the fact you can't make money scalping with the spreads on offer and the inherent volatility of the spreads quoted. The silent majority prefers to trade successfully and not blame the SB's for their own short comings. If you heard some bloke say that he got requoted and lost on the trade blah blah blah, and that if it wasn't for the crappy SB he'd make a fortune blah blah blah, then you've just heard the usual crud from those who will find another past time shortly.

I trade successfully with D4F, I range trade, periods from 2-10 days, just started day-trading again SP500, catching high/lows of the day, where the spreads won't hurt. Your targets of your trading system must be big enough to swallow the spread plus any 'slippage'. If your targets are 10 points on the SP with a spread of 5, then you deserve to have your useless **** kicked.

I've said it before on previous threads, and I'll say it again, the instrument you use to trade is also as big a challenge as the market itself, you have to have a strategy to take account of all the obstacles.

No, zigglywigler, I am not talking about losers.. they are very successful traders!

Deal4Free winners and loosers

I trade 2-10 days with them and also find it works well for me.

In my opinion most people who are being successful don't moan all the time and blame someone else they just get on with it. The people who don't want to take responsibility for their losses will stay losers until they do. If D4Free are really that bad why do these people keep using them, they have the option of using another company and making the fortunes Deal4Free are preventing them from attaining.

Don't get me wrong Deal4Free are not perfect but on balance they work for my strategy and until that changes i will keep using them and if not move to someone else but not constantly moan about it and blame someone else.

I trade 2-10 days with them and also find it works well for me.
Probably why you haven't seen the problems with them up to now.
Succesful traders rapidly move to better companies

Definition of Successful

I assume you must be so successful you don't use them then, so why bother looking at a thread of a dealer you don't use, i thought you would have had better things to do with your time!

I guess making good money does not come under your definition of success either? It's all that i judge my trading by, how about you what do you measure?

....and i never said they are the only company i use it is horses for courses.

Last edited:
why bother looking at a thread of a dealer you don't use, i thought you would have had better things to do with your time!
Because I want to inform people of the problems.
And I did not mean to infer that you weren't successful because you are still using them, you may not have encounted the problems others have because of your trading method.

awoodj......you are being a little childish but I can certainly give you my own example of what cmc do to successful traders to illustrate the point.
I opened a cmc account a few years back after hearing it was a licence to print money to any good experienced trader.
I turned 5k into 85k by trading uk stocks in 5months .As soon as cmc caught on to this 'problem', they stopped me getting any immediate 'green prices' even where there was enough size on the order book. As an example, if I tried to long 1k gsk and the order book had 20k on the offer....cmc still held my quote and requoted me 2p higher.When I complained that I was not allowed to trade, they made it clear that all my trades were being manually traded and that if I was not happy with whatever I was requoted, I should look to move my account elsewhere.Every once in a while I check my cmc account to see if anything has changed, sadly it hasn't.
I don't have a problem with cmc doing this to me cos it makes business sense esp . when you don't hedge all your clients.It's still nice to alert people that cmc are not all they make themselves out to be.
As an aside, there are traders who make good regular returns from cmc but generally they will do this by opening several accounts in different names and will keep their sizes small so as to avoid being noticed.Personally, I believe that if a new entrant comes onto the market such as cmc , its best to hit them hard, take a nice heavy profit in a short period of time knowing that it won't last.
I'm happy to divulge this type of info. now as I trade almost exclusively using direct access.

Interesting post nobrainer. Have you tried using Capital Spreads? They would surely welcome your business as Simon has said on previous posts that they would simply 'overhedge' successful traders.

I sympathize with your experience of delays with D4F. Having said this, they are still the most competitive (with CS) Spreadbetter around so for the 'small guy' they serve a useful function.

I guess you must be pleased that you took so much off them. It surely places you in a small minority.