Day Trading Firms in the UK

Anybody got a phone number,adress, email for MarK Jacobs/Mettraders in west hampstead? thanks

Still on the lookout for a trader job. gained experience in the mean time in the city as an analyst. Very few trader jobs come along and are looking for lots of experience. any suggestions on companies to try. Done the whole contact liffe shops like ctc etc. These firms charge money with little training. Not much point if you don't have experience and a strategy in place, it's like trading from home but the company has the pleasure of taking a percentage of your money.

Any of you guys have openings for a junior trader.

hz125 said:
Still on the lookout for a trader job. gained experience in the mean time in the city as an analyst. Very few trader jobs come along and are looking for lots of experience. any suggestions on companies to try. Done the whole contact liffe shops like ctc etc. These firms charge money with little training. Not much point if you don't have experience and a strategy in place, it's like trading from home but the company has the pleasure of taking a percentage of your money.

Any of you guys have openings for a junior trader.

Why don't you just tarde from home or goto uni and in 3 years go on a grad scheme......I;ve said this a million times.....what have you got to offer an employee that the other wanna-be traders haven't? THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE YOU EVEN WRITE YOUR COVER LETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robertral said:
Why don't you just tarde from home or goto uni and in 3 years go on a grad scheme......I;ve said this a million times.....what have you got to offer an employee that the other wanna-be traders haven't? THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE YOU EVEN WRITE YOUR COVER LETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robertral

Sorry to say, that is a rather valueless reply. I know its just your opinion but its meaningless. Why should anyone EVER apply for ANY job if they don't have anything to offer that other's don't?

HZ, keep trying and don't give up TILL U SUCCEED. Its not as hard as it seems. Everyone wants people who can help them make money. You can practice and work at being able to do that or at least create that image. Thats what employers are looking for. There are Junior trader posts out there, DON'T GIVE UP till u make it, if that is YOUR dream! You willl get there sooner or later, the path maybe somewhat different from what you've planned though.

Its not the smartest or the fastest that make it, it's the ones who NEVER GIVE UP.

;)

thanks for the advice seguna and robertral. I have seen a few vacancies but very few come along. The ones that do require 3 years experience. It is very difficult to go from back to front office. What about trade support does the experience gained in these roles for a year or two give sufficient knowledge and know how to get into a junior position.

hz125 said:
thanks for the advice seguna and robertral. I have seen a few vacancies but very few come along. The ones that do require 3 years experience. It is very difficult to go from back to front office. What about trade support does the experience gained in these roles for a year or two give sufficient knowledge and know how to get into a junior position.

HZ

ALL relevant experience is useful and should not be discounted. The more exposure and training you have in the industry, the better your chances. If you are REALLY SERIOUS about carving out a career in 'the city' as opposed to just learning how to trade then you have to play THEIR game.

You see, there are a myriad possible ways to make money in the markets; from stocks to FX and commodities to bonds. Then there is an even greater combination of possible METHODS to use to analyse and trade these markets and instruments. Mainly Fundamental Analysis, Technical Analysis and hybrids of these two.

IF YOU ARE SERIOUS, then you have to invest time and effort in learning how City trading desks work. A lot of it is based on techniques such as spread trading and arbitrage which rely heavily on statistical calculations and mathematical algorithms. In many cases, they prefer mathematical/statistical/engineering degrees, even PHDs are demanded sometimes. My specific advice to you is:
1. Learn who the employers are and what they want. There will be a body of consistent requirements but inevitably some will vary
2. How do you presently fit into the profile they are looking for? What can you do to not only meet their minimum standards but exceed them? If you don't have 3yrs experience you are probably aiming for posts too high just now. Aim lower.
3. See if you can gain any recognised qualifications such as SFA, CMT. These will show how serious you are and help u stand out from those lesser prepared. If taken, it may mean u get more pay and get offered better assignments.
4. Consider investing in a numerate degree or other qualification
5. Read as much as you can about the industry and the trade. Subscribe to some journals, mags, websites etc. Become knowledgeable and stay current.
6. Start minimal private trading. Note I said minimal. I only suggest this for the unique edge it will give you on risk comprehension.
7. Lay your prejudices and fears aside. Forget all the Oxbridge/public school nonsense. You will encounter some of this, but believe me, if you CAN make people money, they'll ignore your sex, colour, background and anything else that could prejudice them against you!

Finally, if you do all the above and DON'T get a job in the city, you'll have greatly improved your selfworth and general market place value ANYWAY and you'll be much more employable.

Hope this helps.
rgds
S
:)

HZ

Forgot to mention, once you've got some relevant qualifications and perhaps direct experience under your belt, you want to start applying SPECULATIVELY to employers. Every two or three months send out your details to as many as you can. You'll almost definitely have more success this way than if you wait for them to advertise vacancies. This is because
a) You won't be competing with as many people at any one given time
b) You demonstrate higher commitment by approaching them when they have not advertised
c) If they consider you suitable, some will put you on file and contact you BEFORE they advertise publicly
d) Doing it periodically increases your chances of getting the timing right
The only dis is that it costs a bit more to do it this way but the payoff is much better.

S
;)