Day Trade the FTSE

Looks like could be a big day...

great call dude...:cool:

Thanks $t£ve
Ftse setting up nicely again ....... so far just marginal upbar following yesterdays insider. If that all we get it's a shame :cheesy: But got 310/15 as the big watch for today if we get that far....

US still mired so not sure whatz going on .....Oops blip down on ftse must dash

the ftse ticking up right now . but I want to short it .. but from where .. if I go long it could and probably would fall sharply

the DOW looked weak at the close yesterday, the Nikkie fell convincingly, we still don't know who has lost what in this sub prime thing = uncertainty

will there be any support at 13000 for the dow?

tricky this trading lark :confused:

the ftse ticking up right now . but I want to short it .. but from where .. if I go long it could and probably would fall sharply

the DOW looked weak at the close yesterday, the Nikkie fell convincingly, we still don't know who has lost what in this sub prime thing = uncertainty

will there be any support at 13000 for the dow?

tricky this trading lark :confused:

I've just closed my long position. As usual, I could have made more--I've contented myself with half:cry:

It may wait for the Wall Street open.

In answer to your question, I dunno. I just go from 15' to 15' . When I get tired, I put a stop on and get lost!!

I've just closed my long position. As usual, I could have made more--I've contented myself with half:cry:

It may wait for the Wall Street open.

In answer to your question, I dunno. I just go from 15' to 15' . When I get tired, I put a stop on and get lost!!

well done, not easy to collect points today .. (not like yesterday) I am currently short .. closing imminently

15' to 15' ? 15 minute bars?

Yes, perhaps I should use 5', but I find I don't trade so frequently with 15'. I try to spot the main tops and bottoms on the hourly. That's difficult today. Maybe if I opened with 15' and closed with a 5' I would get out sooner?

Now you know my secret to the road to fortunes! I don't mind sharing---but not the loot, there's not enough for the two of us! :D

Split

Yes, perhaps I should use 5', but I find I don't trade so frequently with 15'. I try to spot the main tops and bottoms on the hourly. That's difficult today. Maybe if I opened with 15' and closed with a 5' I would get out sooner?

Now you know my secret to the road to fortunes! I don't mind sharing---but not the loot, there's not enough for the two of us! :D

Split

:LOL: I still can't tear myself away from the immediate gratification/flagellation of the minute chart ..

have you been following the videos posted on the DOW thread? very educational .. and quite different from the TA stuff that most folk follow

Looks like you should have shorted at the time of posting. I've got the index on a trendline from the low of Aug 10th. It will, either, bounce or go on through----as always.

Split

It's going through. I was lucky with that long position. I had one like that yesterday, closed the long and my wife called me to the most expensive lunch for a long time!! By the time I got back, it was all over.

Split

Looks like you should have shorted at the time of posting. I've got the index on a trendline from the low of Aug 10th. It will, either, bounce or go on through----as always.

Split

6031 was the low on the 10th .. I hope it is heading there .. well for the next few minutes anyway :devilish:

It's going through. I was lucky with that long position. I had one like that yesterday, closed the long and my wife called me to the most expensive lunch for a long time!! By the time I got back, it was all over.

Split

wives are so inconsiderate why don't they realise that every second away from the market is a potential profit lost:LOL:

I just took 10 points on a long trade. It must be something in my make up that makes me try a reversal. It's far easier to do what you do----go short in a short market, but I believe that I can see a turn and must try it. I've made 23 points today, so far. I suspect that you have done better!

Split

I just took 10 points on a long trade. It must be something in my make up that makes me try a reversal. It's far easier to do what you do----go short in a short market, but I believe that I can see a turn and must try it. I've made 23 points today, so far. I suspect that you have done better!

Split

spooky I am also up 23 points today .. cut my profits moving stops too close but at least, using stops I spend less time sitting in losing trades now.

waiting for the US data now

Last edited:
very quick question for anyone to answer, what are your usual stops on your average ftse day trade ? I mean do you try and keep your risk/reward ratio constant, or do you focus more on keeping a constant stop level ?

Thanks I'm just trying to improve my stop strategy, I feel it's whats letting me down at the moment - Im constantly making good predictions and then getting stopped out too tight stop levels, or making losses on too large stop levels .

very quick question for anyone to answer, what are your usual stops on your average ftse day trade ? I mean do you try and keep your risk/reward ratio constant, or do you focus more on keeping a constant stop level ?

Thanks I'm just trying to improve my stop strategy, I feel it's whats letting me down at the moment - Im constantly making good predictions and then getting stopped out too tight stop levels, or making losses on too large stop levels .

I'm anyone:cheesy:
At the moment I am starting with a 20 point stop .. which is quite large on the ftse I feel. when the market rose today I followed it up with a 10 point trailing stop .. letting the market get away from it before resetting to 10ish .. it worked for that trade .. it may not work for the next.

I'm anyone:cheesy:
At the moment I am starting with a 20 point stop .. which is quite large on the ftse I feel. when the market rose today I followed it up with a 10 point trailing stop .. letting the market get away from it before resetting to 10ish .. it worked for that trade .. it may not work for the next.

I don't think there is any clear answer to this. I've gone from 7 points (includes 2 spread)
to 16. But I don't like to give those large sums back to the market. At present, I'm around 7 points, the last one was 8 points. I'm trying to find a trend without losing too much.

Split

I think I'd rather lose 21 points and have three trades than lose 20 points on one trade

Split

I think I'd rather lose 21 points and have three trades than lose 20 points on one trade

Split

with such a tight stop as yours you have to be spot on with your entry point.
I have experienced several consecutive stop outs when I was using 10 points, where it would have worked out first time if I had a wider stop.

Having said that I nearly gave back all my points this morning when I went long after the the first pull back today and did not set any stop .. ouch .. when will I learn:eek:
I thought the thing was going to the moon dammit:cheesy: