Cyprus brokers and the EU bank bailout haircut

A banking system in Cyprus working outside of the EU with its tax haven and virtual non-money laundering checks and balances. Now when that all goes Pete Tong as it has who should bear the cost of this? Why should the EU protect this type of system and quite rightly has put the burden on the bank and its customers, you could argue that accounts <100,000euros have been very fortunate.

Banking is all about confidence, and poor confidence can destroy a seemingly healthy bank, and did you notice that the EU stated that this would be the future model for all bank bailouts only for the FTSE/DOW to drop and then the EU retracts the statement to take the pressure off the markets, its all ********. It pisses me off that there is virtually no transparency to make educated decisions on where to put your cash. Recent statement that UK banks need and extra 30-40billion bailouts over the next year(ish cant remember exact number) but no actual details on what banks? why? cause there will be a run on them.......

The banks are basically crooks in ties and never forget that, NINJA mortgages, Libor rate fixing, PPE etc etc etc everything that they can do to manipulate the market to make them more cash. Bob Diamond just about sums them up, and having watched his interview with the treasury select committee though it was about as unprofessional as it gets and glad he has f*cked off back to the states.

The only answer I see is to separate the investment from the retail which has been muted about, and if you have your money in a savings account then it is not at risk or used for bugger all else by the banks, and you accept the low interest. I have a feeling that the banks are not even in a position to go down this route as they have not got enough spare cash to do this at the moment with all their old, current and potential future toxic **** on their books.

This is not over.........................

as i said in original post. take your debit card and spend all money in your account funding a brokerage forex gambling or plain paypal in other country.

cyprus restricted money movement and pulling money from wall but have not thought of debit card trasactions.

basically if it is too complicated for you don't do it (the other moderator seemed to understand it though) but for those who want to keep their money its a rather simple idea.

Well, since the details have emerged that the people of cyprus can't do a damned thing with their money, it looks like your rather simplistic idea, which I was clearly not clever enough to understand, has fallen by the way side.

Hooda thunk it !

Are they f**kin insane...
They want to get the economy going and f**k the very people who
have the capital to invest and create jobs etc.

At least it shows both sides of the print / no print coin though...
Not much of a choice really is it - 30's USA depression or Weimar / Zimbabwe :LOL:

My bet is most of the savvy boys got their money out weeks ago. As Darwin might have said they wuz fitter, quicker and weeks ahead of the rest.

BTW what language is that in your signature ?

Are they f**kin insane...
They want to get the economy going and f**k the very people who
have the capital to invest and create jobs etc.

At least it shows both sides of the print / no print coin though...
Not much of a choice really is it - 30's USA depression or Weimar / Zimbabwe :LOL:

It's even more insane than that.

Leaving the EU fiasco of an experiment will be the final solution in order that they may devalue and return to the Cypriot pound. Only then will economic activity be possible.

Leaving the EU fiasco of an experiment will be the final solution in order that they may devalue and return to the Cypriot pound. Only then will economic activity be possible.

True, whatever financial calamities have gone before,
no one was ever stupid enough to initiate a single currency
without a single govt.
That was always part of the plan, even as far back as the 70's.
It just never materialised, hence the current situation.

Reason it never materialised was that despite the intentions
of avoiding situations like WW1&2, it just created the same tensions
and self interest, only at an economic, not military level.
People never learn.

Was the depositors tax justified because of the 7% interest rates in cyprus? What about mortgage rates. I'm sure they were higher than the 7% interest rates. Can the cypriots claim that they are actually in the hole with the banks and not have to pay it? Seems a bit unjustified, as high interest rates don't benefit the average person, as most people are debtors.

Google reckons it is Swedish - unlikely
Bing thinks it is Czech & something to do with trains - doubtful

Me ? - Somewhere between Armenia to India ?

Nope - encrypted C# DSP code.
Doesn't mean anything really, just my idea of a joke :)

Was the depositors tax justified because of the 7% interest rates in cyprus? What about mortgage rates. I'm sure they were higher than the 7% interest rates. Can the cypriots claim that they are actually in the hole with the banks and not have to pay it? Seems a bit unjustified, as high interest rates don't benefit the average person, as most people are debtors.

I spose they justify it based on high levels of Cypriot tax evasion.
Good old blanket enforcement instead of fixing the broken tax system.
WBP Online - Is Cyprus a scapegoat in wider push against tax evasion schemes?

Then again, its also a fair point to ask how many with 100k have
not avoided or evaded paying tax in the first place.
Its the ones who are legit who are paying the price.
The ones who weren't, well that tax free loan has just been called in - goes with the turf.

It be interesting to see if the place just empties out and a fire-sale of everything ensues.

Anyone have any reliable property price figures from say 2005 onwards.
I know of people who were buying off plot in the run up to the sub-prime crisis. Builders and agents were going bust back then but investor deposit funds were already committed. Nobody really talks about all the "haircuts" that had already gone previously. I suppose they figured that the crisis was only temporary and that property prices would bounce back ! Hmm, they wont be happy if it goes the other way.

Yup, already looks weak to weakening.

:whistling

Lovely place to live......maybe just not yet :clap:

Thinking of giving it a try? There is, always, room for foreign capital! You might, even, have enough to live on for a few years.

It is a puzzle to me how retired folk come to a country thinking of sun and beach.I have an aversion to both. Even when I lived in Sitges, once the kids were grown, I preferred other things.

Now, at 81, I wonder how expats pass the days with nothing much to do. I have grown into this country and now have grandchildren. If I came to England to end my days, what would I do with myself?

My advice to anyone reading this, is to stay and rent for up to a couple of years and be fairly young in retirement before investing in property. The weather is not everything. If you cannot learn the language your social life is going to be very limited. Many expats keep away from the locals mainly because they cannot adapt to their ways. There are little expat ghettos all over the Spanish coast and to live like that fills me with horror, frankly.

If I wanted to meet a Brit the only place that I can think of, right now, is St George's Church in Barcelona and it must be over 20 years since I went there. My wife's family accepted me right from the start and I am very fortunate, I know. I don't even read Expatica. All the English I need is here and online.

Retired and looking for sun? There are lots of lifetime customs which do not, always, work outside of one's element.

Thinking of giving it a try? There is, always, room for foreign capital! You might, even, have enough to live on for a few years.

It is a puzzle to me how retired folk come to a country thinking of sun and beach.I have an aversion to both. Even when I lived in Sitges, once the kids were grown, I preferred other things.

Now, at 81, I wonder how expats pass the days with nothing much to do. I have grown into this country and now have grandchildren. If I came to England to end my days, what would I do with myself?

My advice to anyone reading this, is to stay and rent for up to a couple of years and be fairly young in retirement before investing in property. The weather is not everything. If you cannot learn the language your social life is going to be very limited. Many expats keep away from the locals mainly because they cannot adapt to their ways. There are little expat ghettos all over the Spanish coast and to live like that fills me with horror, frankly.

If I wanted to meet a Brit the only place that I can think of, right now, is St George's Church in Barcelona and it must be over 20 years since I went there. My wife's family accepted me right from the start and I am very fortunate, I know. I don't even read Expatica. All the English I need is here and online.

Retired and looking for sun? There are lots of lifetime customs which do not, always, work outside of one's element.

Playing the financial markets is a great hobby for the retired and could even be profitable.

Playing the financial markets is a great hobby for the retired and could even be profitable.

I note the word "even" that you inserted into your post. If that is what rocks your boat, by all means, go for it, but if it has not been profitable before you go, why should it be when you are there and what will be the consequences if it is not?

I don't, particularly, need your answer. It is what you must ask yourself. Does your wife like tradng, too?

So, has anyone with an active account at a Cyprus forex broker requested a withdrawal recently, and if so how did it go and what reply or excuse did you get ?

Or, does nobody here use a broker located in Cyprus ?

So, has anyone with an active account at a Cyprus forex broker requested a withdrawal recently, and if so how did it go and what reply or excuse did you get ?

Or, does nobody here use a broker located in Cyprus ?
I wouldn't have opened a broker account in Cyprus or in the future either.
Ignoring the current situation, the regulatory regime there is a joke.
That attracts brokers of a certain pedigree, shall we say...
Not particularly helpful I know.

Why do you ask anyway, have you had trouble?
If not, I would suggest you think twice about opening an account there now.