Covered Warrants seminar

emmer

Has anyone been to one of the CW seminars that the LSE keep touting?
They're having one in Manchester next week (26 June) with Barclays and Digital.
Is it worth going along to, or will it just be a sales pitch?

Hi emmer,
I work in the events department at Digitallook.com, and I just want to assure you that our seminars are not at all sales pitches. They are genuinely free investment education events! We put on a very successful covered warrants seminar in March in London with Barclays Stockbrokers and the London Stock Exchange as well. This is the first regional seminar we have done this year, so we need everyone in Manchester to come out and show their support for events like this in Northern England! If nothing else, come out and join us for a glass (or two) of wine on the house and learn more about covered warrants!

-Laura
Digitallook.com

Emmer,

I suspect in this instance the intentions are more educational rather than commercial, although all parties concerned (LSE, Digital Look, Barclays) I am sure will want to gain the commercial knock-on effect of educating a potential client base.

Having said that, Covered Warrants are (generally) a hugely over-priced instrument.

Exactly the same risk / return profile provided by a covered warrant can be achieved by trading (for example) a put or call in the exchange traded markets at a much lower (cheaper) price.

If you do attend the seminar, you may wish to ask the question why anyone would want to buy a covered warrant when there are much cheaper possibilities to be found elsewhere? (and don't let them fob you off with "more liquidity" as an answer)

You may then want to ask why you cannot short covered warrants.......

I would be interested to hear their answer!

Thanks for all the useful information. I think I may now go along and perhaps ask some of the questions that you have raised.

Puts etc

Airthrey Capital said:
Emmer,

I suspect in this instance the intentions are more educational rather than commercial, although all parties concerned (LSE, Digital Look, Barclays) I am sure will want to gain the commercial knock-on effect of educating a potential client base.

Having said that, Covered Warrants are (generally) a hugely over-priced instrument.

Exactly the same risk / return profile provided by a covered warrant can be achieved by trading (for example) a put or call in the exchange traded markets at a much lower (cheaper) price.If you do attend the seminar, you may wish to ask the question why anyone would want to buy a covered warrant when there are much cheaper possibilities to be found elsewhere? (and don't let them fob you off with "more liquidity" as an answer)

You may then want to ask why you cannot short covered warrants.......

I would be interested to hear their answer!

Are you referring to Exchange traded Funds or option trading?