Courses

chump

Just a little note based on common sense rather than a debate on same in relation to courses.

Think back to school/Univ etc . The goal of a course is what ? To learn , acquire knowledge and understanding that you did not previously have. How do we measure the degree of success or otherwise of this activity ? Along a continuum that we came away being able to demonstrate that we now had anything from a little to a great deal more knowledge than we had before and we could do that in a tangible way.
Now back in your memories of your earlier education where your results measurable as above come back to you. What were the factors that pushed your success or otherwise. In my experience this is the common sense part. Where you did exceedingly well the factors were as follows ; you were very interested in the topic being taught and your interaction level was high , the teacher was very interested in the topic being taught , the teacher was also very interested in the people he was teaching and finally the teacher because of the aforementioned had developed his teaching skills accordingly.
Where you did badly the above ingredients were missing to some large degree.
So the common sense here is clear. The results from taking a course are a blend of prerequisites. Do your due diligence according to the above before you sign your cheque . If you do not, then ultimately the responsibility for what occurs rests with you. Don't forget to check yourself , just how interested are you ..in theory this should be easiest part of your due diligence. In practice I suspect it does not work that way as people perhaps fool themselves that they are interested in trading whereas their real interest lies in what they perceive to be the spin offs from trading successfully. There is a difference. Make sure you recognise it and no that was not a 'money is the root of all evil' inuendo. It is less important why you are doing it than you know why you are doing it. If it's money ,freedom , whatever then just be sure you recognise that and use it to motivate yourself for a high level of interaction.

The irony here is this: there is nothing that some budding new trader can learn from a course that he could not find right here on trade to win.
IMO courses are for lazy people (people who need it in a plate).
In my further opinion, people who need it on a plate are highly unlikely to be decent traders anyway.
Sorry if that creates a bad feeling for you Chump, but its your post that prompted my reply.
regards
BB

not sure i agree with you there, bundbaby. everyone's got to learn somehow and you don't see many self-taught surgeons around - or any professionals come to that.

as chump implies, the get rich quick type "course" :devilish: is for dreamers, but something that properly teaches the trade can't be bad.

cheers

jon

Bundbaby,
You don't have to worry about creating 'bad feelings' .Everyone is entitled to their view and if that view is expressed in a rational way as yours is showing why you hold a particular view then I welcome it for discussion. The irrational is what I can do without and will simply ignore.

Like Jon I wouldn't agree with you simply because I have seen people acquire knowledge in many different ways. What I would agree with if this is what you are implying is that turning that knowledge into concrete experience will not arise directly out of a course.that is a separate issue.

I also agree that there is a lot of information on TW2 & web that will only be duplicated by a lot of courses . Whether someone new to trading will understand it all and be able to shape it into what they need without direction (teaching) is another question and that really is not a question of laziness it is as mentioned above simply a different way of acquiring knowledge based on an individuals specific needs. How can I support that statement ? I personally cannot other than to ask if we have onboard any very experienced teachers and inparticular any teachers who deal in special needs. I think their view would confirm mine.

My comments on this thread have nothing to do with get rich quick courses. I am discussing a rational approach to identfying whether a training course may be for you. What you have to do to try to identify that. What your expectations for the course are and how they match with what your due diligence reveals etc.