Could you become a top Fund Manager ?

Hook Shot said:
I'm (now) confident of investing for those kind of returns in a market which is at worst flat - but will need a different strat for the hairy times. During the last bear market housing and utilities held up pretty well - so there is always some place to go ................ I need to give it some more thought - but it's a great challenge.

HS - Remember that even if your market is equities you do not have to hold them whilst they are on the way down. If you are a trader who only ever takes long positions then holding or buying new equities whilst the market is obviously trending down is just silly.

One of the reasons fund managers perform poorly is because in most cases they HAVE to hold a certain percentage of their fund in equities (for example). So if the fund mandates minimum 75% in equities they must ALWAYS try and hold that level regardless of whether there is the worst bear market in history or the biggest bull market. It is not a choice they have, it is actually a legal requirement (well it certainly is in Australia), they MUST follow what the funds mandate/rules say.

I used to work for a fund manager and they used the same story as many do now.... that you cannot time the market. To some extent this is true, but mostly they just say this so people;
-don't exit their funds,
-open new funds and
-keep depositing money into their falling funds selling idiotic mantra's of "averaging down" etc. etc.

You don't have these restrictions. You can exit and enter the market whenever you want and hold as much or as little of your relative's money in cash as you want, waiting patiently for your signals to tell you when and how much to buy, sell etc.

Spot on JDR, I was saying something similar to someone off line. Sort of going gradually into cash and using collateral to go short.... I'm thinking how to present it to my cousin since he may view playing the downside with suspicion. He'll see the benefits of capital protection but the rest .... whoah!!

It won't help that those same WEALTH managers will be trying to convince him of the risks of shorting the market during bearish times...... you know what they're like - haha!

Cheers

HS

Interesting JDR a lively debate. I would add though that some of the GREAT investors/fund managers are not just dealing on valuation/price-volume ................ I suspect insider dealing sometimes plays a significant role. Throw in pre-ipo investments and .......... !!!

Could I post this message for the attention of FXscalper2? I know you offered this assistance to Hook Shot, but would it be possible for you to share your tactics with me, a novice trader ? I would be interested in trying any tactics on a simulated account and back testing it until I become confident with a strategy before applying it to the real market. Any assistance from any other thread posters also welcome.

Hi All,

Only just looked at this thread.........and I have to say it's very interesting.

I would imagine that being offered £1m to manage would REALLY get you thinking about your trading skills and abilities.

In my experience, it can sometimes be hard for even a successful trader to manage someone elses money because your "investor" will start to be on your case during what you would normally class as a standard drawdown.

I know traders who started to manage accounts for people and then gave up because the investors were actually advising the traders to change their strategy in certain ways, even though these investors had no trading experience whatsoever!

I've been offered the opportunity of managing money for people, but, up until now I've turned it down because I think there would be an element of feeling like you're working for a boss.

Thanks,

Damian

Damian, completely understand. I'm trying to avoid the BOSS syndrome which is why I'm giving it much more thought. Also Yep £1m is getting me thinking although not yet accepted the assignment. Strangely enough I'm not really bothered about what I earn from it - initially..... If I do it once fantastic.... two years in a row and I'm on my way.... hopefully. The debate with the Investor continues - poor Derek!

Hook Shot

This is a very interesting thread. Just look back to 2003 and you will find a host of experienced traders telling you it is God's own task to make money in markets. What has changed. Three years of uptrend. I'd love to see somebody on this thread who joined on, say 2000, telling us making money in markets is easy.

People here point out that fund managers do badly because they are required to remain invested even during a downtrend (whatever that is - definitions on a postcard please). Unfortunately, fund managers UNDERPERFORM, and this can not be explained by such factors. The fact of the matter remains that a great deal of money is made because of such constraints, rather than inspite.

A wise man once said that all you needed to make money was ignorance and a bull market, but, given our increasingly freedom to play the market either way or even both ways, I'd like to update that. Essentially, if market conditions stay the same for long enough, any fool can think he's a genius. If markets are rangebound, and rangebound is most of what you know, you'll make a mint fading. If markest are caught in a trend and trending in that direction is all you know, as a momentum player you'll make a mint. But conditions do change and always in unexpected ways.

When I started out 8 years ago I couldn't believe how easy it was to make money. I recall in particular telling as estate agent how easy it was. They jealously told me how they wished they had sufficient funds, to which I replied, "borrow the money!" Since then stocktraders have been culled by the tens of thousands and estate agents think they are god.

Although speculators are rather good at asking why things went wrong, they seldom ask why they went right. My advice here is to examine your trades and ask why it is you are profitable. Maybe you use fundamentals, maybe you use technicals maybe you use sentiment mtrics, maybe you use all. Maybe you rely to a large extent on money management. Here's the rub. They are all 50:50 for one reason or another. Investment ratios of whatever hue, in whatever combination show no significant correlation with outperformance. Technicals may give extended periods of wins, only to suffer from large one off draw downs, in fact, the longer the winning run, the greater the chances of a really large draw down. sentiment metrics can be seemingly superb at spotting inflection points, but fail because markets often accelerate against the fade at times of sentiment extreme. Money management only limits each individual loss. 20 small losses are actually worse than one large loss 20 times the size, not only because of the costs but because of the impact it has on ones psychology. Pick up a big by a money management expert and they'll tell you everything else is 50:50. Pick up a book by a technician and they'll tell you everything else is 50:50.

As for not worrying what you earn from managing the £1m, ask yourself why nobody else in the city feels that way. Ask yourself why they are happy to take the spread or management fee and leave the speculation to everyone else.

Recently I finished an 8 year long subscription to a provider of fundamental data. A bunch of stats I ran told me the data had no significant bearing on success or failure. I put this to the data suppliers chief analyst. He told me I couldn't hope to use the data to pick stocks, merely screen them. But when I pressed him as to how he used the data, he told me this: "Oh, I invest in property and have done for 18 years." Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Or take Bulkowski's wonderful encyclopedia of chart patterns. Beautiful stats to help you get the odds in your favour, no? The trouble is there are no stats there to tell you exactly how to identify the patterns and how big a draw down misdiagosis will produce.

See, in the end, it doesn't matter what you trade, or how frequently you trade, or what method you use of how you manage risk. In the end, you have to be right. That's the tricky bit.

Some good points there Sledge...

Are you doing 20%pa ? If so how ?
if not could you do it ?

I've accepted the assignment starting Jan 07 - for a portion of the funds.The rest will be spread between a couple of wealth mgt firms.

HS

In 2000 I didn't make 20%, I made 400%. I avoided losses in 2001 and 2002. Thought I was a genius. And then 2003 happened. Best of it was, it wasn't the big falls that hit me (by nature I'm a fader, so I tend to make money from volatility) but the false starts. I can look at the indices and point out how many buys I made at the eventual lows. But there were sells too early and buys a matter of hours too early.

We are all control freaks in this game. We all want to limit this and maximise that and boast at the weekends how we don't need anyone. But when you've sat through a few cycles and played the markets minute by minute, second by second for any length of time, you'll know that an awful lot is in the hands of the gods. Learning that fact is what the city calls "burn out".

People will tell you how it doesn't matter which way the market moves. I've said it myself many times. But you know something? It does. If you are naturally bullish, whether you are a fader or a momentum player, you are going to win in a bull market. But if you are naturally a bear, always thinking that the uptrend just has to end, you ar egonna struggle, even if you are a trading genius. Maybe you don't consider yourself a bull or a bear. There are many who say stuff like that. I certainly have. But if you don't believe the market will go horizontal for the rest of time, calling yourself neither bull nor bear is meaningless. So you take a view on the direction. Based on what? A further ballooning of consumer debt? A continuation forever of the carry trade? And why not? These things have held up til now. Of course every camel has its breaking straw. So you take a view accepting it could all go very wrong very quickly ... and so you watch very closely ... and after a while you get twitchy ... and twitchy makes for churn ... and you think you are doing marvelously but the costs just eat all the clever sidesteps.

So could I rise to the fm task? If you paid me, why not. Maybe, with a following wind, for a few years, I'd really cane the targets. Have done before after all.

And d'ya know what? if I did, I reckon I could even forget 2003 :cheesy:

PS: glad you have accepted a fee.

Reactions: TWI
Thanks for sharing sledge ................I remember the mad days when volatility was rife. I even remember when Yahoo (already a giant) went up something like 20% in one day......... madness. I remember dow down 400pts at the open in '99 and locked in a important client meeting - wilted and lost a small fortune.. as market rallied back... seems obvious in hindsight but unable to monitor trade and deep in the stuff ...... fear took over!

I've seen the bright lights ......at some times very bright..... I remember making my monthly target during first week of the month whilst sat at Blair's pre election gathering trying to win more business. I remember United Cohesive Society, EducationEducationEducation.......... and something about Opportunity...... whilst I was giving the SB's a slapping during the comfort breaks! Volatility allows you to do that as you know...

What I really loved about your response was you bared your soul .......... warts and all ....and for that it was a pleasure to read your comments.

Ps. only likely to be small fee even if I perform like I can but D'YA KNOW WHAT ? Anyone who can consistently return 20%pa on reasonable sized fun (without being SILLY) will have no problems attracting investment capital - imho!

Great to meet you fella!

HS