Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

Hi guys - as mentioned I missed the webinar presentation :eek:

can someone please give some feedback here + what the hell is the price ?

I googled it to see what is was selling for and got hundreds of different (but related) sites telling me what the bonuses were but no firm price............jesus and I thought my corrie was complex !!:eek:

N

It's of the order of $1900 I think or 3 payments totalling of the order of $2100.
I only saw the last 20 mins or so, so maybe I missed the best bits, but I actually found it underwhelming, and very much a hard sell.

While I'm interested in the concept of correlation trading, I don't want to do it via someone else's black-box indicator(s), especially not when it costs serious dollars.

Ingot/NVP,

I started to look briefly at this thread when it started, but (as usual) got massively sidetracked and haven't been following it (will try to go back and read it).

However, I have been led towards correlation from quite independent (and different) sources, and find it quite intriguing, although (of course) it's no more the holy grail than anything else.

I just wanted to say, if you haven't looked already, have a look at the work of Ashraf Laidi. You can register on his website for free and there are lots of interesting reports and a forum (not too voluminous). His book "Currency Trading and Intermarket Analysis" is excellent value. There is also an online workbook you can download from his site. That's a bit more, but as it's priced in dollars, chances are it's even better value at the moment, except for those whose base currency is USD ....
...anyway there is stuff about correlation in there + lots of historical context etc.

standard disclaimer: I have no connection with A.L. or his website except as an interested reader :)

thanks !

Thanks montmorencyT2W

i'll have a look at his work.....sounds good

yep its around $2k like a lot of his other offerings and a 50% Gross profit for his network after paying affilliates.....good work if you can get it

anymore feedback is appreciated for sharing expecially if someone buys it !

N

Hi NVP/Ingot

Sorry about my user name, its an old "tag" I had dating back to my times in the '90s trading in the good old (now bust?) US of A - I did abbreviate it to just Jrp but forgot the password and naffed up the whole get new thingy whatsit process. Sign of age I guess....

Quicky background. I came back into the trading arena about a year ago after a good break and instead of trading my old forte of futures decided to go for fx instead. I got my own "idea" about correlation early on this year and after proving, via flushing quite a few dollars down the broker's toilet!, that it didnt work I sat back and sulked and after quaffing a few glasses of the red nectar one saturday night, noticed something that was pretty obvious - typical after event doooh moment.

Anyway long story short, what I did notice was the way within which G/U and E/U behaved against each other - a sort of natural thing of course as both are quoted against the U - and set about formulating a trading concept based on this, utilising a fairly small time frame to generate trade frequency and thus test out my theory.

Trying this simple idea out was interrupted by a three week break to Florida followed by slowly getting back into the thick of "it" again during August (usually a slowish month, regardless of financial instrument), so come September I was managing to get some decent time in on trying the idea in conjunction with normal trading activities and started to get kind of excited, then along came October and that Correlation Code mass marketing campaign....

You know the deal there with CC and what caught my attention was the fact that it (in one guise) uses E/U and G/U in H1 time frame to spot a sort of divergence and potential "gap" filling opportunity - bang on traget with what I was experimenting with except for the "gap" filling bit, as I hadnt thought of it as being called that.

Curious as all we traders are, I signed up for the early edition of CC's webinar and duly trundled along to watch the presentation alongside with about 5,250 other lemmings according to the live counter on my webinar CC screen and what did I see? Well, I saw the sea... Yes! they had a picture of a beach, the sea and the sunrise accompanied by the often repeated slogan of "...you cant predict the weather but you can be assured of the sun rising everyday; you cant predict the markets but you can be assured of correlation happening..." or something along those lines - I got bored by then so wasnt really taking that lot in!

Anyway the real meat of the webinar relevant to CC was the fact that eight "methods" were available but once one had been learnt then all the other variations were easily implemented. It seems there are four scalping methods and four swing methods, lots of big buck bonuses (how do they go about valuing these?) and other "great" incentives when you sign on the dotted line for circa $2.0k or $2.3k if taking the three month plan, either way a far chunk of spondoolies for something thats not all that new or innovative as far as I could see imho.

What did capture my attention was the brief way they showed CC working on the GU and EU pairs combined with H1 time frame and scalping. For me this was interesting as it sort of fitted into my own endeavours, apart from one or two of their SLs looking rather large for scalping versus TP targets but hey ho, each to their own I guess. Thinking about the webinar afterwards it struck me that CC isnt really correlation, its more divergence. Least thats my way of thinking after seeing CC in very brief working mode, making a trade and (of course!) winning.

Having trawled through your own and those of other contributors excellent posts in this thread the other night its easy to see that you all have done a lot of work in the correlation area which is facsinating to say the least. I think my own small beer stuff is more likely to be classified as divergence observations and probably you could include CC under that heading as well, although I havent seen their system because $2k or whatever is not something I'd entertain - hells teeth, thats over 400 bottles worth of the red nectar at today's G/U exchange rate!

If you want, I can delve into my simplistic thinking further for you with some charts etc but as said above its mainly on the divergence thinking rather than strict correlation - might even get shot by the CC crowd when showing these ideas!

Apologies for the ramble and slightly off topic part content, I've been trading cable whilst writing this on my other pc so continuity has been erractic - or is that yet another sign of age?

Trade well and regards,
Simon.

Appreciation

Hi NVP/Ingot

Sorry about my user name, its an old "tag" I had dating back to my times in the '90s trading in the good old (now bust?) US of A - I did abbreviate it to just Jrp but forgot the password and naffed up the whole get new thingy whatsit process. Sign of age I guess....

Quicky background. I came back into the trading arena about a year ago after a good break and instead of trading my old forte of futures decided to go for fx instead. I got my own "idea" about correlation early on this year and after proving, via flushing quite a few dollars down the broker's toilet!, that it didnt work I sat back and sulked and after quaffing a few glasses of the red nectar one saturday night, noticed something that was pretty obvious - typical after event doooh moment.

Anyway long story short, what I did notice was the way within which G/U and E/U behaved against each other - a sort of natural thing of course as both are quoted against the U - and set about formulating a trading concept based on this, utilising a fairly small time frame to generate trade frequency and thus test out my theory.

Trying this simple idea out was interrupted by a three week break to Florida followed by slowly getting back into the thick of "it" again during August (usually a slowish month, regardless of financial instrument), so come September I was managing to get some decent time in on trying the idea in conjunction with normal trading activities and started to get kind of excited, then along came October and that Correlation Code mass marketing campaign....

You know the deal there with CC and what caught my attention was the fact that it (in one guise) uses E/U and G/U in H1 time frame to spot a sort of divergence and potential "gap" filling opportunity - bang on traget with what I was experimenting with except for the "gap" filling bit, as I hadnt thought of it as being called that.

Curious as all we traders are, I signed up for the early edition of CC's webinar and duly trundled along to watch the presentation alongside with about 5,250 other lemmings according to the live counter on my webinar CC screen and what did I see? Well, I saw the sea... Yes! they had a picture of a beach, the sea and the sunrise accompanied by the often repeated slogan of "...you cant predict the weather but you can be assured of the sun rising everyday; you cant predict the markets but you can be assured of correlation happening..." or something along those lines - I got bored by then so wasnt really taking that lot in!

Anyway the real meat of the webinar relevant to CC was the fact that eight "methods" were available but once one had been learnt then all the other variations were easily implemented. It seems there are four scalping methods and four swing methods, lots of big buck bonuses (how do they go about valuing these?) and other "great" incentives when you sign on the dotted line for circa $2.0k or $2.3k if taking the three month plan, either way a far chunk of spondoolies for something thats not all that new or innovative as far as I could see imho.

What did capture my attention was the brief way they showed CC working on the GU and EU pairs combined with H1 time frame and scalping. For me this was interesting as it sort of fitted into my own endeavours, apart from one or two of their SLs looking rather large for scalping versus TP targets but hey ho, each to their own I guess. Thinking about the webinar afterwards it struck me that CC isnt really correlation, its more divergence. Least thats my way of thinking after seeing CC in very brief working mode, making a trade and (of course!) winning.

Having trawled through your own and those of other contributors excellent posts in this thread the other night its easy to see that you all have done a lot of work in the correlation area which is facsinating to say the least. I think my own small beer stuff is more likely to be classified as divergence observations and probably you could include CC under that heading as well, although I havent seen their system because $2k or whatever is not something I'd entertain - hells teeth, thats over 400 bottles worth of the red nectar at today's G/U exchange rate!

If you want, I can delve into my simplistic thinking further for you with some charts etc but as said above its mainly on the divergence thinking rather than strict correlation - might even get shot by the CC crowd when showing these ideas!

Apologies for the ramble and slightly off topic part content, I've been trading cable whilst writing this on my other pc so continuity has been erractic - or is that yet another sign of age?

Trade well and regards,
Simon.
Simon -If you would do that for us, I for one, would be eternally gtateful.

That wold be a fantastic gesture, to be given useful insight after all the work we have put into this.

Thank you and best wishes

Ivan

Correlation trading

Hi NVP/Ingot

Trade well and regards,
Simon.

I was one of the 5200+ attenders of the correlation code as well, and I am trying to further my education through the Net. I hope I won't need to hand out 2 grands to any body for that purpose.
All suggestions welcome.

Yiehom

Can't find the indicator

Load it and play with it and I will happily answer any questions whilst preparing my next post....

I load it from where, sir?

Hi and evening all,

Ivan; Thanks for your reply and yes, I'll gladly supply all my findings to you and everyone else with absolutely no problems.

NVP; As the thread originator please feel free to "boot" me off here if this is something you dont want to see - its your excellent thread so you am de boss!

OK what I'm going to do here is start off by attaching a couple of pics showing the G/U and E/U crosses (pairs) which are the two crosses I've been following since early this year for my idea of looking for divergence.

In pic1 (separatechart.png) is a simple layout of G/U above and E/U below charts in H1 tf scraped from my demo account feed, so hence any gaps you see are there as my broker doesnt back fill lost data on demo accounts.

In pic2 (integratedchart.png) is the same layout but this time both crosses are integrated into one chart with G/U being the dominant cross (yuck pinkish and light blue candles) and E/U charted below in red and green candles - apologies to the CC guys here as it sort of replicates their charting app, but I was doing this some time ago!

When I first started looking at these two crosses my initial thoughts were to look for a "run" of two or three candles in G that wasnt duplicated in E, in other words if G rose by N candles but E hadnt followed suit on its last bar, then buy E at open - reverse for shorts. You could also turn this thinking upside down and use E for the dominant cross and look for G to "catch up" instead, as E is the largest cross traded in volume terms.

Whilst this does produce some fairly good results it didnt really fit into my style of trading price action and after seeing some horrible hits with this concept I went back to the proverbial drawing board and decided to focus upon immediate price bar action.

Here I was looking for a divergence on the immediate price action, whereby G would print a "filled" (absolute open minus close value) bar that was at least X factor (no, not the talent show thingy!) larger than the same corresponding E bar and, to this end, went about seeking a simplistic coding add on to show these ABS bar divergences which I'll be explaining more in following post.

So in summary I initially looked for a two or three bar trend divergence then moved onto an immediate bar (ie zero lag trend) divergence. In next post I'll cover this immediate price action concept with some good pics plus also delve into the murky world of coding this idea.

In the interim, next week looks to be a busy one so it probably wont be until Thursday that I stop real time trading (NFP data due Friday and I never trade over this chaotic session) and get the chance to drop some more stuff onto this thread, but in the meantime look at your own charts and see if you can spot some good immediate price action deviations.

Trade well and regards,
Simon.

Attachments

• separatechart.png
    separatechart.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 233
  • integratedchart.png
    integratedchart.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 263
Excellent !!!!!!

Hey all

This is a thread for Correlation discussions and is open to everyone who wants to pile in..........please feel free to discuss anything correaltion related and lets share ideas !(y)

I am also currently trying to pull in all thoughts/comments related to the launch of "The correlation code" as it is Correlation related trading and I want to know if it works or not ....;)

I also want some Guinea pigs for my simpler Corrie's so please contact me at my home page address :smart:

Busy monday at the moment but will read the posts in last 3 days ASAP !

N

Hi NVP/Ingot

Simon.

I couldnt agree more...........furthermore to add to the fun theres plenty of profit potential in trading Euro when it diverges from the JPY/USD and the GBP ....(the opposite of the CC's method from what I can see)

N

example of Euro vs GBP trade.......

Hi Gang

been a while since you saw a corrie chart !

this is a G5 corrie 500/2 on the 1min TF in last hour..sure theres money drifting in by buying USD (supported by the Yen rising as well) and Selling Euro or GBP, but the GBP and Euro are hardly falling are they ?.......(so you should have been selling the 5th currency AUD(gold), but thats another story)

And then alleluyah...the Euro starts to fall (against the rising GBP, Yen and USD) so its a safe trade to now enter ...the reverse of the CC strategy !

shows how you can skin a cat in many ways using correlation techniques.....(y)
N

Attachments

• 1min corrie 2nd Nov.jpg
    1min corrie 2nd Nov.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 207
Deja Vue...again !

seems like only yesterday I was showing this pattern.....

dang the Euro is falling nicely today ! (y)

N

Attachments

• Euro falling.jpg
    Euro falling.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 198
Hi Everyone....An ambitious title indeed !

I want to consolidate as much information as possible on the subject within this
thread....the works !

Over the next few posts I will try to share my own humble thoughts/Ideas on Forex Correlation and would appreciate as much feedback and input as possible to help my studies.

I am not going to try to dictate where this thread leads, but I am hopefully that it will deliver some great Ideas, references and "Gems" for all of us to incorporate into our Trading.

To get things started In next post I am going to discuss The Major 8 currencies and how I have found they tend to interact with one another and if there are any simple rules we can learn from this to assist our trading.....

I will also attach an indicator I use to assess how the 8 Currencies are performing which I would love to develop further and expand with everybodies help

Please start adding comments / requests and of course any references or threads that would be beneficial to have linked in this one

apologies if anything has gone wrong in this first post...I hav'nt posted much before and this is my first attempt at a thread !

more tomorrow - time and work permitting !
Neil

Just a quick "hi" ... from the guy that invented Daisy Chain trading, (you know, the guy JF swiped his Correlation Code nonsense from).

I'm going to do my best to start giving you guys as much as I possibly can regarding trading correlated pairs in an effort to prevent the need for you to waste a single penny buying it else where.

But like I said in a previous thread ... please DO NOT try and trade any of the highly correlated pairs until the middle of January.

Correlation is badly upset right now with the global picture as it is. The ECB is selling off euros in a bid to prevent the slide of the dollar. The BoE isn't doing the same thing meaning that you can rather often find EURUSD going one direction and GBPUSD going the other. This same action is doing the same thing to EURJPY and GBPJPY.

Additionally, there is little warning when the ECB is doing its intervention, and it is only assumed that they are doing it because ECB euro reserves are down by nearly 6 billion euros over the last four weeks.

NZDUSD and AUDUSD are also commonly moving in opposite directions but for different reasons that would take more time to cover than is logistically possible in a forum post.

The end result is that trying to trade correlated pairs until the middle of January is a recipie for losing your rear.

However, I will try to teach this subject as much as possible so that when the normally correlated pairs are back to acting normally we can all return to this VERY lucrative trading methodology.

Excellent

Just a quick "hi" ... from the guy that invented Daisy Chain trading, (you know, the guy JF swiped his Correlation Code nonsense from).

I'm going to do my best to start giving you guys as much as I possibly can regarding trading correlated pairs in an effort to prevent the need for you to waste a single penny buying it else where.

But like I said in a previous thread ... please DO NOT try and trade any of the highly correlated pairs until the middle of January.

Correlation is badly upset right now with the global picture as it is. The ECB is selling off euros in a bid to prevent the slide of the dollar. The BoE isn't doing the same thing meaning that you can rather often find EURUSD going one direction and GBPUSD going the other. This same action is doing the same thing to EURJPY and GBPJPY.

Additionally, there is little warning when the ECB is doing its intervention, and it is only assumed that they are doing it because ECB euro reserves are down by nearly 6 billion euros over the last four weeks.

NZDUSD and AUDUSD are also commonly moving in opposite directions but for different reasons that would take more time to cover than is logistically possible in a forum post.

The end result is that trying to trade correlated pairs until the middle of January is a recipie for losing your rear.

However, I will try to teach this subject as much as possible so that when the normally correlated pairs are back to acting normally we can all return to this VERY lucrative trading methodology.

Hi Pipinit,

Looking forward to learning more about correlation trading. Thank you.

The GBP Quickstep !

Hi Guys spotted this pattern whilst getting ready for work (will read new posts later)

will explain it later but basically it shows Euro (Blue) strengthening against USD(grn),Yen(yel) and GBP(red) .......Then GBP "wakes up" and accelerates past the EURO whilst USD and YEN keep falling

thats pretty much the Correlation code main strategy.........please send $2,000 to my bank account in details on home page ! ;)

N

Attachments

• GBP corrie example.jpg
    GBP corrie example.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 225
Many thanks !

Hi Pipinit

any contributions will be welcome here my friend.....I will get to the Daisy chain info as soon as i can

meanwhile I must confess I continue to develop my own ideas and observations re correlation on shorter TF's as these naturally provide more activity and signals than waiting for Longer timeframes to develop.....

Do you ever trade or look at intra day activity on say 1 hour TF's or less ?

N

Forexnetworth

Hi Pipinit,

Looking forward to learning more about correlation trading. Thank you.

Hey dude................pile in here with any comments, questions you have on the thread to date ....we wont bite ! :D

N

Nice weather for this time of year......

my remote access has failed today so i cannot get into my charts

ummmmm..........DOH !!!!!

N

Hmm I think specifically "correlation"analysis good.
But in practice, its good to look at relative trends, relative ROC( for ranges) etc in addition.
For example, the numerous relative strength basket and cluster analysis threads around the forums are a terrific help.and superbly coded.
However they seem to concentrate just on currencies.

My personal preference is to look beyond just the currency pairs and into the indices, key commodities etc etc. This I believe, will allow us to trade forex more easily.

I'd be delighted if a group of us wanted to look at editing the cluster /correlation type indicators for use on correlation / intermarket analysis to include gold, oil, DAX etc etc in addition to just currencies.
I'm sure this would be a good filter and signal provider.

Who's up for this? : )