Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

Well at least I cracked the 500,000 views today here on this thread whilst my car was playing dodgems !

thanks to every single person that has contributed to this Thread..........since the early 2000's I had thought I was getting pretty proficient in strengthmeter based trading until I started this journey here in 2009..........

boy have my eyes been opened....and the learning never stops..........I am collaborating and sharing and learning even more these days than ever before and the learning will never ever stop !

thanks again to the many people along the way that have taught me far more than I could ever teach them about trading and also sometimes how to live life .......

cheers
Neil
NVP

500,000 views, that is quite something!

Probably worth saying, thanks NVP for the massive contribution to this thread. I don't know how you've managed to keep it all going for so long, with the continuous posting. I could not have done that, so a big well done.

Lets see if you can last another 3 1/2 years at the same rate... :cool:

J

mornin all - heres today and yesterday ......nice moves yesterday !

N

I stayed out yesterday, too much uncertainty over Cyprus. Still the same today, although there is more volatility today.

It will only take one comment to send the euro steaming in one direction or the other. That for me is too much like gambling, not trading, so, no euro trades for me today I think....

J

I stayed out yesterday, too much uncertainty over Cyprus. Still the same today, although there is more volatility today.

It will only take one comment to send the euro steaming in one direction or the other. That for me is too much like gambling, not trading, so, no euro trades for me today I think....

J

your thinking to much again J....I told you about that :cool:

N

500,000 views, that is quite something!

Probably worth saying, thanks NVP for the massive contribution to this thread. I don't know how you've managed to keep it all going for so long, with the continuous posting. I could not have done that, so a big well done.

Lets see if you can last another 3 1/2 years at the same rate... :cool:

J

we will see......we will see :smart:

So many many thanks to people like Ivan and Alan, djenky, and now more these days people like Hamish and Jedster who are my main reason for still posting on the T2W forum...... as you meet damn good traders and start to collaborate and learn and grow .......

and to my IT partner sylvie who some of you may have met when I was running the VIP Trading course...she is slowly slowly recovering from a very bad illness and major heart surgery but will not be now back in the frame for a long time (if ever) - thanks sylvie and we continue to keep in touch.......

and also to a guy that mentored me for a while below and taught me a lot about how to live life to the full................he died a while back from Cancer leaving a wife and lovely kids but his legend will always live on in this thread anyway for me.....he died shortly after this correspondance below....you try racking over 70 points in a session then going off for chemotherapy...(he didnt make that holiday).....balls as big as coconuts that dude.......(we used to call him "the Stig")

cheers JRP......and put the wine and cigars down dude for once and pay attention to me down here... .....i'm trying to be heavy and sensitive here !

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/for...g-basic-ideas-strategies-441.html#post1156560

Very flattered by the mention, NVP. And very grateful for your generosity in terms of your time and knowledge. too. Trade canny, Hamish.

mornin all

heres the week so far .........yen again leading volatilty up and down the garden

N

Attachments

• yen moving.jpg
    yen moving.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 125
hey all.

flukey moi was playing with a new sytem ( # 471 ?)... and bagged that last G/U buy ....

beginners luck
N

J - catch you later :smart:

Attachments

• lucky bugger.jpg
    lucky bugger.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 130
2 big swings recently on the 15m TF charts see attached

looks like the Yen and USD are finally both getting south as Dow rallies

N

Attachments

• big moves.jpg
    big moves.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 155
I was diligently reading my copy of "The Handbook of Project-based Management: Leading Strategic Change in Organizations" by J. Rodney Turner, when I spotted this:

"Discovering one’s own mistakes
Psychologists have done experiments where they have shown people pictures progressively out of focus, and ask them to identify the picture. In this way they establish how far out of focus the picture has to be before the subjects will get it wrong more often than not.

The experimenters then show the subjects a picture well out of focus, and ask the subject to say what it is.

The experimenters then slowly bring the picture into focus and ask the subjects to say if they want to change their minds.

The pictures have to be brought well into focus beyond the point where the person would normally make a correct identification before they will change an incorrect opinion."

Not directly relevant, but it made me think. Watch the price action is our mantra and psychology is reckoned to be more than 75% of our "problem" according to Mr Mark Douglas in his excellent book "Trading in the Zone":
www.MarkDouglas.com

Perhaps the real 'Grail-secret' is, "Know your Enemy!" who by deduction must be, in other words, your very own self?

Trade canny,

Hamish.

mornin all....

heres the week - piccy 1 demonstrates the swings of the dow and (generally) the inverse corresponding swings in the Yen and (supposedly) the USD......

it takes a lot to get the USD moving ....it can be as flat a a pancake a lot of the time due to its dominence as the secondary pair for the Trillions of dollars in daily currency transactions (I think its in about 80% of all G8 transactions ?)...

you can see the moves for yourself so i wont bore you here.........interestingly the USD got a real move on yesterday eh ?........and that was off a falling dow so US PLC was sure hurting yesterday !

todays gamplan ?

the second picture is a 500/1 on a 1hr TF - 2 weeks of activity shown ...and ive tagged on a 1/1 weekly to show the currency rankings this week

hmmm..as you can see the dow has come up a little but generally its on the south side of a 180 point range and holding .....unless it was at either S/R level I have no real feel for its next move or dynamics.....

regarding the currencies.........all I can do is analyse the biggest recent movers and suggest these trades will get heavily scrutinsed through friday with traders ensure they give nothing back into the weekend.....

so GBP and NZD and Yen have had a cracking second half which will need protecting....with Euro the biggest loser in that period

Gamplan.....

If Dow folds further south i'll sell any sniff of the GBP and NZD retracing (against USD)...naturally with GBP being the most active of those 2 in the london/us sessions

If Dow starts retracing north i'll sell Yen and buy Euro (agains assuming they start to both retrace)

If the Dow keeps folding south into Support levels I really really would then hope for a bounce and for scenario 2 to unfold - being my real hope as i love the E/J !!

other than that trade what you see........this is just a wishlist

later
N

Attachments

• the week.jpg
    the week.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 131
  • results.jpg
    results.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I was diligently reading my copy of "The Handbook of Project-based Management: Leading Strategic Change in Organizations" by J. Rodney Turner, (jees H you need to get out more:cool: ) when I spotted this:

Not directly relevant, but it made me think. Watch the price action is our mantra and psychology is reckoned to be more than 75% of our "problem" according to Mr Mark Douglas in his excellent book "Trading in the Zone":
www.MarkDouglas.com one of best trading books everwritten

Perhaps the real 'Grail-secret' is, "Know your Enemy!" who by deduction must be, in other words, your very own self?....1000% agree...and we are also drifting into a little Mr Tzu here ?
Trade canny,

Hamish.

hey H

see above in red ....:cool:

3 things in trading

the market
the trader
the system

and only having all 3 out of 3 right and mostly in perfect shape will ever halp you generate money long term

N

hey all

sorry about the lack of content here in the last 2 weeks or so ..........work has been busy, I pranged the car, and also been collaborating on some trading systems with a fellow Trader

always happy to answer questions here on Correlation and strengthmeters if anyone is ever interested

Cheers
N

morning all......

and commiserations to any Cypriat members here who have just had the shortest Haircut in history........

jees >100k in Euro funds have taken the hit .......40%.....so aside from the hype about Russian drug dealers and criminals (theyre not on every corner).....thats just Scalped every decent Cypriat businessman and woman that have tried to keep the economy going for so long

RIP guys ......I am so sorry......

if we had joined the Euro we would already be with you as well......

N

ok so far the dow futures has opened hot.....and we saw the Yen take hits through the night....Euro did well.....:smart:

N

Attachments

• dow rising.jpg
    dow rising.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 136
Help Help !!

Not sure whats going on but I ve had a deluge of Junk mail trading systems sent to me over the weekend....

some Old faces and some New ones (although the new ones seem to be affiliated to many old names I recognise !!) .......still the entertainment value is worth it alone

I strongly encourage any Traders to take a look at this kind of stuff .......

What ?

yep - take a look.....it will never ever go away in this industry - so take a look........and see the many promises and riches they are offering

We have all been tempted over the years ...I challenge anyone in this business to tell me they have never bought something or been on a course they paid for that was absolute GARBAGE on reflection

But if you dont get bruised along the way you never learn........

so make sure you at least are aware of this stuff - then DONT buy it ........!

N

nice rythmn on the 15m TF so far today ..........if you can keep a beat that is

N

Attachments

• nice rythm so far today.jpg
    nice rythm so far today.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 144
awesome move on the 15mins......superb selling on the european currencies in last hour or so

N

mornin all......

well that yen is always swinging eh ?........time that dude's moods correctly and you can generally pair it with anything and make money ......:smart:

later......
N

Attachments

• yen action.jpg
    yen action.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 142
I see the Cypriat banks wont open for a while yet .....they are scared that there will be a run on the Banks re withdrawals......

i would'nt worry to much guys .........youve handled it all so well up to this point i'm sure things will be just fine

Taxi for Mr Cyprus.......
N