Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

hey all

http://fxcorrelator.com/corrie2/blog/back-in-the-game/

i've had some PC fun - 2 pcs out of action for a while....ouch !

If you are a serious trader always always ensure you have a Good and well maintained IT sysetm to support yuor trading - and also contingencies for adverse IT events during live trading

an IT failure is actually my main reason for placing Stop losses .....and should be another reason why you always place them ....if your IT fails in trade without a stop position then you need to be able to contact your broker to manage close the Trade

also I always use a Ethernet (cable lead) connection to my main Trading PC....its more

Secure and reliable than wireless......but dont lets the pets in the room !

NVP

Attachments

• power still on.jpg
    power still on.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 151
is this the end of the line for the yen & USD buys ?........or yet another retrace ?

stay tuned readers :smart:
N

Attachments

• end of the line ....jpg
    end of the line ....jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 346
hey all

many many thanks for the ongoing PM's and e-mails I get regarding my free system here and how I try to teach people to look at Individual Currencies & Equity Correlation........

nope ....its not perfect .....(hint - nothing is ;)) ......

but I hope it helps you to realise that looking at individual currency strengths does help correct pair selection and prioritisation of signals :smart:

anyway in answer to people who contact me regarding training heres the score :-

1) I ran a pilot last year for around 50 Students for 6 months (my VIP CREW / Website)

2) It was a learning process for everyone.....mainly me !

3) The main cristism I received was that I was not teaching Students everything ......thats Trading from scratch for the total newbies that attended (despite my pre-warnings it was not for newbies)...I am not a newbie trainer !

4) Other than that I think the students that attended liked my course - although some wanted more and more rules and guarantees of success - despite my continued attempts to teach them that Trading is not an absolute science - and that this unique and new style of trading continues to evolve.....and to experiment themselves with patterns and settings and signals aligned to their own personalities and styles

so everyone learnt something along the way........

More courses ?

My business Partner is still recuperating from a major illness so I have no plans to launch another course....and if I do, then it needs some major overhauls so people are 100% aware of what they are getting.........and not getting ;)

also in truth I would need to charge a lot more than the sub $300 fee last time as frankly it doesnt cover my Costs of Team, admin, time , overheads etc .........and I make a lot more $$'s using my time elsewhere - sorry !

(something I suspect is why so many great Traders on this T2W site do not bother to teach anymore)

so no plans from me folks at this moment - sorry !

if you have a question please ask it here or at my own FXcorrelator.com website - I am always happy to talk :smart:

(boy - can I talk !)

N

Last edited:
YEEEEOUCH !!!! :eek::!:

Attachments

• ouch ouch ouch .jpg
    ouch ouch ouch .jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 239
Tom Yeomans CSM system is always worth a look if you want a course regarding Individual currencies ........

I am not advocating or guaranteeing his systems and neither am I affiliated to him and his companies.....

and in a lot of ways we have differing styles of trading individual currencies

NVP

interesting piece .....at some point the music must stop for the Euro ......the trick is understanding when....there will be a catalyst.......a turning point/Event and then all hell will break loose !

personally I am happy to stroll along and wait for the move to show itself....until then why bother to call the top ?

and yes even I am starting to fire up my anticipation for Gold.....but again wait and Trade what you see.....not what you want to see .........thats called Gambling !

N

Spanish banks are in BIG trouble

I’m sure you’ve heard the quote from Warren Buffett: “You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.” The tide he refers to is cash. When the cash evaporates, there’s nowhere to hide. Be it an individual, a corporation, or a government – that’s when you are found out. And right now, cash is evaporating from Spanish banks.

This is as serious as it gets. With Europe it’s easy to get complacent. We’re all a little desensitised to the European problem – especially after a decent summer recess.

But we need to snap back into action. Because Spanish banks are now in deep peril.

Bankia had to take emergency funding this week. And more are sure to follow. Money is flooding out of the country and it will be very difficult for the Spanish authorities to contain this problem themselves.

Spanish banking group Bankia was put together in December 2010. Seven faltering regional banks were rolled into one. It was a classic and ridiculous move that took banks small enough to fail and rolled them into one, too-big-to-fail institution.

As such, it wasn’t long (May 2012) before the Spanish government was called upon to part-nationalise it, and bung in a load of cash.

And now that the tide is going out on Spain. Cash is flooding out of the country. In July, Spaniards withdrew a record €75bn from their banks — an amount equal to 7% of the country’s total economic output.

That has left Bankia looking highly exposed. This week the government put the patient on a drip – providing €4.5bn in stopgap rescue money.

But as I’ll explain in a moment, the patient is in terminal decline. The drip will be in place for a long time. And the problem is, the Spanish banks are much bigger than the government – Spain has already had to secure €100bn from partner states to help resuscitate this particular patient.

Deutsche Bank suggests that when (not if) Bankia has bled the government for €120bn, the government’s debt-to-GDP ratio will have reached 97%. And that’s just one bank!

And it goes on...

Bankia’s problems come down to bad debts. Specifically mortgages. The Spanish property market is in freefall – particularly the highly leveraged coastal areas.

And with unemployment hitting 25%, it’s not just the second homes market that’s in trouble. Last week I was talking to an old friend who’s just laid his hands on a villa for €175,000 – previously marketed at nearly a million.

That means a lot of individuals will be sitting on big losses. But so will the banks. Up until now, they’ve been able to gloss over the losses. So long as the banks had cash, they could be forgiving. Spanish banks have been in no hurry to foreclose. Repossessions would mean putting the properties on the banks’ balance sheets. And to shift the banks’ properties to the banks, they’d have to revalue them to today’s prices. And that would mean big fat losses.

But the tide is going out. Cash is disappearing out of Spanish banks. It’s getting harder for the banks to cover their private parts. And Bankia won’t be the last one to start the long and painful process of admitting its losses...

The con is on

Finance is a fascinating game. It’s a confidence game. Back in 2007-2008 when the con was about to be exposed, the authorities were left with a choice.

They could take the Icelandic approach and admit the con. They could let the banks go down, let the currency drop to the floor and let the losers (depositors, bond holders and shareholders) take their medicine.

Or they could keep the con going.

Needless to say, most of the authorities opted for the latter. They bundled the banks into bigger entities, backed them up with state guarantees and then crossed their fingers in the hope that nobody would notice.

In the case of Bankia, they even floated the new mega-bank and raised a load of new cash from fresh victims. Spanish newspaper El Pais cited a purchase form for €6,000-worth of shares signed by an 86-year-old woman's fingerprint.

Old, illiterate, who cares? Take their money!

Well, it looks like the con may finally be in its last throes – in Spain at least. I suspect that many savers are looking to shift their cash somewhere safer...

The only real savings vehicle

The tide moves slowly. Almost unnoticed, it ebbs away. Many are busy playing on the beach, eating hotdogs and licking lollies. They don’t notice the naked swimmers frantically groping around for bathing attire.

But some notice the furore in the shallow waters.

In the case of the ebbing cash tide, the astute shift financial assets to real assets. Precious metals for sure. I recommend holding 5-10% of your savings in gold.

In time, the less astute will see the con. An Icelandic-style reset of the system will be painful for them. Here at The Right Side we aim to be ready.

Gold is rallying towards $1,700... more and more beachside revellers see what’s going on. Don’t be the last man in!

Until next time,

Bengt Saelensminde
The Right Side

Hi NVP. I see you are still using the correlator indicator. Do you have a version which shows exotics like TRY, ZAR, NOK, SEK etc. Basically all the currencies available in mt4 instead of just the majors?

Hi NVP. I see you are still using the correlator indicator. Do you have a version which shows exotics like TRY, ZAR, NOK, SEK etc. Basically all the currencies available in mt4 instead of just the majors?

nope - never bothered much ..........well in truth I have a few historically where I added a few more interesting currencies to the pot to see their strength against the USD (like NOK and SEK occasionally ).......

but its a whole new world there with diffrent correlations and rules ;)

feel free to change the programming.........just replace the currencies in the coding with any new currencies you want

you can only get 8 on the charts :smart:

N

FXCORRELATOR - GOLDMETER

Gold is on the march again

here is one of my (simpler) approaches to Trading Gold....never published here before ....
so have it as a present as I think it will be very very useful as Gold fires up !

open up this indicator and lay it on the XAU/USD chart

whenever the Violet line gets above or below all the other lines - trade it !

I use 20ma as a default like my standard FXcorrelator and thats a 20 sma on the XAU gold chart itself....the 2 bold lines will always crossover where the chart crosses the 20 sma if you keep the same ma setting.....

Background

this is Gold priced relatively to the other currencies.......when it gets above them all then the market is deeming to be losing faith in paper money and moving away from Fiat currencies - and vice versa for the other direction traded

the Green line is the USD .....Ideally I would like to see the USD diverging and falling
as the Violet (Gold) line goes above all the lines re a signal ...and vice versa

research Gold to see why i like this as a strategy....simple relative strength applications to trading

thats it ......enjoy !
NVP

Attachments

• FXCORRELATOR _ GOLDMETER.jpg
    FXCORRELATOR _ GOLDMETER.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,363
  • FXCORRELATOR_Goldmeter_V2.mq4
    4.3 KB · Views: 995
Last edited:
Here is a slight modification of the indicator, which will work on any symbol of gold not only XAUUSD - just attach it to the chart.
As a plus, it detects the current symbol on the chart and will work with other instruments as well such as Silver, Bonds etc. :)

Noam

Attachments

• FXCORRELATOR_Goldmeter_V2.2.mq4
    4.3 KB · Views: 488
Hey N

this tool works just fine !....oil , Silver , its fine

couple of things

1) it will only work if the pairing is priced in USD (not a USD/xxx symbol) - not an issue for most commodities (in fact all commodities ?) - so perhaps no worries for using commodities at all.....

2) the indicator is always resetting to last closing price bar of the Instrument in question ......actually this is a great idea .......just beware it will always be repainting charts rebasing the instrument on closing price ..........not the end of the world and certainly no sensitivity issues based on the performance of this indicator !

but a BIG BIG caveat here.......I only use this for Gold.........I am not as convinced/keen on its suitability for trading Oil or Silver etc etc

so prove me wrong gang please !

great work again N
NVP

Hey N

this tool works just fine !....oil , Silver , its fine

couple of things

1) it will only work if the pairing is priced in USD (not a USD/xxx symbol) - not an issue for most commodities (in fact all commodities ?) - so perhaps no worries for using commodities at all.....

2) the indicator is always resetting to last closing price bar of the Instrument in question ......actually this is a great idea .......just beware it will always be repainting charts rebasing the instrument on closing price ..........not the end of the world and certainly no sensitivity issues based on the performance of this indicator !

but a BIG BIG caveat here.......I only use this for Gold.........I am not as convinced/keen on its suitability for trading Oil or Silver etc etc

so prove me wrong gang please !

great work again N
NVP

Thanks! Glad it works well.

Noam

see how gold (left chart) got hoisted from top spot here as AUD and CAD (right chart) took over the rising positions off a rising Dow

and Nlez's Chart works just fine (bottom left indicator) !

This is why I wont be trying to mix these trading methods much in individual posts

I will stick to Gold calls and G8 currency calls here seperately ......as the correlation explanations just get to convoluted as you are all going to ask me next regarding Equities relationship to gold

not going there.......just not going there

Teehee
N

Attachments

• gold trade ends on 1hour.jpg
    gold trade ends on 1hour.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 312
Dow moved up nearly 250 points so far today .........thats a wall of selling on the USD and Yen folks that I just could not anticipate as I was ideally looking for buys on these guys off the daily signal

such is life !

N