Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

guys why are there so few posts on FF and here about correlation and trading the strongest pair. Some are even saying its completely pointless. I havent posted on this thread for a while,how are you guys getting on thanks

pointless? I think every strategies or indicators have their plus and minus.
At the end, its really up to the trader how they use it.

I m liking this strategies, i m not up alot at the moment, but i know i can do better later on for once i monster it. (y)(y)(y)

overnights........tell me this is not correlated

Attachments

• overnight.jpg
    overnight.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 161
guys why are there so few posts on FF and here about correlation and trading the strongest pair. Some are even saying its completely pointless. I havent posted on this thread for a while,how are you guys getting on thanks

hey LF.....good to see you here (y)

I ask myself this question everyday I load the charts up :whistling

I am 100% happy with the correlation research and findings I have made over the last 2 years....some published , most not

I am pretty comfortable on calling the yen/usd moves based on experience and risk signals from Equities , but in truth my ongoing issue is accurately predicting the opposing currencies (the remaining G6) to trade with them

that continues to be a bl***dy lottery and sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesnt ......:smart:

my real tme trading is sparse due to work pressures - I will be re-evaluating everything I've done soon (we are nearly 1 on the thread) to see if indeed I need to push into new potential areas of income generation as I havnt looked around for a while now

ultimately i'm here to make money to supplement my other mainstream earnings and I will move on to new ideas and ventures if this does not work to my satisfaction.....(and I urge very person to do the same)

N

Back for today, and then I will be out of action until late next week. Two trades so far, both for +10. I trade EUR/JPY and GBP/USD. and enter when EUR or GBP crosses both USD and JPY. There's some discretion in regards to pivots, round numbers, etc. I use the scalper strategy and am pretty happy thanks.

Back for today, and then I will be out of action until late next week. Two trades so far, both for +10. I trade EUR/JPY and GBP/USD. and enter when EUR or GBP crosses both USD and JPY. There's some discretion in regards to pivots, round numbers, etc. I use the scalper strategy and am pretty happy thanks.

hi Benalta

a very sound approach .........you are getting in (mostly) earlier using the pure ma crossovers and great common sense on the actual chart formations

if I Was put on the spot after nearly 2 years of pure corrie research I would have to choose trading yen vs the Euro as frankly this is my most lucrative and predictable pair

N

hi all

did a little dabbling at lunch...........I think I might call it a day this week as generally its just been one of those weeks so far where I am not fully focused.........I will not say unlucky as I really believe you make your own luck in this business especially involving any tools of the trade (no pun intended See below)

just watched that lovely tag rise signal........and having bought USDJPY and sold GBPUSD my worldtrades screen conveniently froze and I could not close them out

so had enough......so back to solid, boring (but paying) work :p

later all
N

Last edited:
hi all

my charts are still not loading correcly in the 5min and the 1h ?

I cant get the commdolls up especially

since a lot of my hybrids are in the 500+ ma level to watch pure price action it looks like yet again ODL have rebooted their servers and weve lost the history on these tf's

i'll do what I can on the 1mins....

jees...........:innocent:
N

hi all

stupidly busy today .....hopefully better next week

a few trades at lunch but my Worldspreads plaform was woefully slow and did not repond to my close signals so going to call it a day there with them

N

hi all

got some kind of tummy flu bug.....will be back onstream when feeling better

N

Hi all

feeling a litle better.....been having a spring clean of things and challenging every damn thing ive learned in the last year on this tread.....and the year before with strengthmeter strategies and techniques :eek:

so what have i learned ?

strengthmeters in whatever guise or name or ma or timeframe combo DO 100% provide a much more understandable roadmap for instantly assessing what currencies are doing in relationship to one another historically

if you dont believe me go and use sandard paircharts to tell me the strongest to weakest currency since opening trades today chart 1 below (a raw 1000/1)

No doubt at all..........and a nice little tool for your indicator box.... :p

But dear viewers (70,000+) does this merit trading strategies and systems and 50+ videos to be made with me rambling on about corrie this and corrie that and promoting my free stategies to save the world ?........

umm no actually..........:eek:

in the cold light of day its not made me a bean yet and scalping it is incredibly frustrating :cry:

been chewing the cud with Alan on pm's and we both agree that forex will fry your brain if you let it..........hes been back twice to help me and has been around the block a lot ....and we are still not far past go on strengthmeters as primary indicators for trading

sure the scalper has its moments - but its not going to pay my rent so I am reviewing all I am doing and will walk away from it and Forex if necessary - my background is gambling and forex is just one part of trading which is one part of the whole scene ....

so i'm going to keep this thread low profile for a while....enjoy the scalper and ask me any questions here and I will truthfully try to respond as i can

there is no Holy grail - the closest you will ever get (IMO) to this is finding a strategy in any market that yields a reasonably decent consistent probability of % success with a very low cost of entry (ie allowing a small stop loss to be applied reliably and multiplying your returns on the winning trades)

oh yeah - and the opportunity to hammer it with a lot of repetitive trades on low spreads

prefrerably 100's per day and all at convenient times for me to trade !!!

so i'm off for a summer holiday revisiting a lot of markets to see whats cooking (y)

see you here or on my travels as I pop in and out of lot of global forums and websites

later (y)
N

bye bye...........here comes cliff now.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbajf_rHzys&feature=related

Attachments

• simple.jpg
    simple.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Neil, don't disappear into the sunset. Or at least leave a contact email! I really want to work with the correlator, automating some of the things you've been doing and backtesting them on the 10 years of currency tickdata I've got. I can totally sympathise with you on your situation, I've been there myself and hopefully at some point in the future this year if I can program some of this correlator action into NinjaTrader, there may be a couple of systems in there that bring in a regular profit which I'd be happy to share with you.

Hi Neil - I think your post sums it all up really well. The only Holy Grail in forex trading is finding an approach that suits your own personality & lifestyle, and which makes a profit over the long term.
My bet is you'll come back refreshed and just as determined as ever to crack it. Best thing I've learned is that the maths & indicators will only take you so far - successful trading is as much to do with attitude & mindset as anything else.
If you want a bit of summer reading, Mark Douglas' "Trading in the Zone" is useful in this regard, as is Jake bernstein's "Market Masters - How Successful Traders Think".

Happy Hols - Gavin

Hi all

feeling a litle better.....been having a spring clean of things and challenging every damn thing ive learned in the last year on this tread.....and the year before with strengthmeter strategies and techniques :eek:

so what have i learned ?

strengthmeters in whatever guise or name or ma or timeframe combo DO 100% provide a much more understandable roadmap for instantly assessing what currencies are doing in relationship to one another historically

if you dont believe me go and use sandard paircharts to tell me the strongest to weakest currency since opening trades today chart 1 below (a raw 1000/1)

No doubt at all..........and a nice little tool for your indicator box.... :p

But dear viewers (70,000+) does this merit trading strategies and systems and 50+ videos to be made with me rambling on about corrie this and corrie that and promoting my free stategies to save the world ?........

umm no actually..........:eek:

in the cold light of day its not made me a bean yet and scalping it is incredibly frustrating :cry:

been chewing the cud with Alan on pm's and we both agree that forex will fry your brain if you let it..........hes been back twice to help me and has been around the block a lot ....and we are still not far past go on strengthmeters as primary indicators for trading

sure the scalper has its moments - but its not going to pay my rent so I am reviewing all I am doing and will walk away from it and Forex if necessary - my background is gambling and forex is just one part of trading which is one part of the whole scene ....

so i'm going to keep this thread low profile for a while....enjoy the scalper and ask me any questions here and I will truthfully try to respond as i can

there is no Holy grail - the closest you will ever get (IMO) to this is finding a strategy in any market that yields a reasonably decent consistent probability of % success with a very low cost of entry (ie allowing a small stop loss to be applied reliably and multiplying your returns on the winning trades)

oh yeah - and the opportunity to hammer it with a lot of repetitive trades on low spreads

prefrerably 100's per day and all at convenient times for me to trade !!!

so i'm off for a summer holiday revisiting a lot of markets to see whats cooking (y)

see you here or on my travels as I pop in and out of lot of global forums and websites

later (y)
N

bye bye...........here comes cliff now.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbajf_rHzys&feature=related

Neil, don't disappear into the sunset. Or at least leave a contact email! I really want to work with the correlator, automating some of the things you've been doing and backtesting them on the 10 years of currency tickdata I've got. I can totally sympathise with you on your situation, I've been there myself and hopefully at some point in the future this year if I can program some of this correlator action into NinjaTrader, there may be a couple of systems in there that bring in a regular profit which I'd be happy to share with you.

hey mate

send me e-mail at the fxcorrelator googlemail......i'll ping back a contact

N

Hi Neil - I think your post sums it all up really well. The only Holy Grail in forex trading is finding an approach that suits your own personality & lifestyle, and which makes a profit over the long term.
My bet is you'll come back refreshed and just as determined as ever to crack it. Best thing I've learned is that the maths & indicators will only take you so far - successful trading is as much to do with attitude & mindset as anything else.
If you want a bit of summer reading, Mark Douglas' "Trading in the Zone" is useful in this regard, as is Jake bernstein's "Market Masters - How Successful Traders Think".

Happy Hols - Gavin

hey Gavin

I just need a rest.......then in the words of everyones favourite Cyborg

" i'll be back"

N

Attachments

• terminator.jpg
    terminator.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 155
Hi Neil,

You need a break buddy. I know how much effort and thousands of hours you've put into Corrie. I was here, almost, from it's inception.

As we've discussed, via email, this is no easy business to master. Just when you think that you have something approaching the HG, the market changes/evolves and all the hours that you've spent fine tuning that system seem pointless.

Trading, particularly forex, is, largely, about risk management. When you spend a day trading a pair that is in chop mode, limiting losses is vital. I used to enter trades thinking how much will I make if this goes to x price. Not any more; when I enter a trade now my first thought is how much can I lose if I'm wrong.

On many days, I would be more successful by just tossing a coin, especially when the market is ranging. Heads for Longs-Tails for Shorts. A very simple strategy:)

Hi Alan

yep a little burnt out at the moment.........I am also trying to rebalance work and other things to allow more trading time - but naturally the time I create needs to be profitable for me otherwise I will look elsewhere....i'm here to win or not at all :rolleyes:

still around the sites periodically so will keep in touch :smart:
N

Hi all

just popped in to see whats happening :cool:

ive enjoyed my first weeks holiday from the thread and been hammering all gambling and trading forums like a Demon shaking down whats new in the world and refreshing my (meagre) memory banks with what works and what does'nt .....:eek:

will give a summary when i'm back here more full time....but its not going to fill much space in all honesty...in truth I see massive deterioration in any truly new ideas and approaches compared to the good old days....:rolleyes:

All I see is huge amounts of new searchers for easy money and wealth spawned by the global recession............makes you want to weep unless you are a marketeer, in which case you can order the new Mansion now (not mentioning names of course :innocent:)....easy pickings everywhere for them in cyberspace ......desperation always breeds profit for them and their ilk.....

NVP