Computer For Trading

ceydababy

Experienced member
Hi Guys,

Looking for some help in getting a computer setup. I am looking for a 7 screen system. One larger screen (dealing screen) and 5 market screens and a misc screen.

I have been to a computer store (NOT PC WORLD !!) and they look pretty baffled about building something like this.

Does anyone know of a company that sets up computer systems for trading ??? Or do you need to build it yourself.

I have googled this and found nothing...so this is my last resort.

Thanks !!

Mark

Just get whatever machine you think you need and add video cards. It is very straight forward.

Given the prices of CPUs and memory at the moment, a reasonable choice of machine would be something like a mid range Intel Core 2 Duo - E6600 perhaps - and 2 Gig of memory. You can of course spend more if you wish, but that should do the job.

For video cards for trading applications the Nvidia NVS 280 or 285 are a good choice. Dual head, low power and fanless (quiet and reliable) and dual DVI or VGA output. You can get them cheaply on eBay. At these prices you can get a spare. Make sure they come with the special DMS-59 Y-cable (either DVI or VGA to suit your monitors). NVS 400 and 440 are quad head cards, but considerably more pricey.

A new box will come with one or two PCI-Express x16 slots and two or more PCI slots. Get the right cards to suit these slots. The NVS series comes in both PCI-E and PCI variants.

dual monitor video cards

In your opinion, in a multi-display environment, does it matter whether you go with the DVI output or VGA output? Most of the monitors at my office accomodate both. About4 years ago I had several machines custom built with the Matrox 450 (and then a few more with the Matrox 650) which come with two connectors built into the card, so no splitter was needed. With these Nvidia NVS cards, they give you a splitter, but only for VGA. They say a DVI splitter cable is optional, but there is no hint where to get one. (and a google search doesn't turn up anything.) So the question arises, are we losing quality by going with the VGA splitter rather than having separate cards, each with DVI?

Just get whatever machine you think you need and add video cards. It is very straight forward.

Given the prices of CPUs and memory at the moment, a reasonable choice of machine would be something like a mid range Intel Core 2 Duo - E6600 perhaps - and 2 Gig of memory. You can of course spend more if you wish, but that should do the job.

For video cards for trading applications the Nvidia NVS 280 or 285 are a good choice. Dual head, low power and fanless (quiet and reliable) and dual DVI or VGA output. You can get them cheaply on eBay. At these prices you can get a spare. Make sure they come with the special DMS-59 Y-cable (either DVI or VGA to suit your monitors). NVS 400 and 440 are quad head cards, but considerably more pricey.

A new box will come with one or two PCI-Express x16 slots and two or more PCI slots. Get the right cards to suit these slots. The NVS series comes in both PCI-E and PCI variants.

New PC?

This site worth a look - HardwareGuys.com Messageboard - very helpful & knowledgeable people if you ask a question / state your objective(s). Built my own PC using their recs and it's been rock solid reliable.

In your opinion, in a multi-display environment, does it matter whether you go with the DVI output or VGA output? Most of the monitors at my office accomodate both. About4 years ago I had several machines custom built with the Matrox 450 (and then a few more with the Matrox 650) which come with two connectors built into the card, so no splitter was needed. With these Nvidia NVS cards, they give you a splitter, but only for VGA. They say a DVI splitter cable is optional, but there is no hint where to get one. (and a google search doesn't turn up anything.) So the question arises, are we losing quality by going with the VGA splitter rather than having separate cards, each with DVI?

On my 19" screens, I really find it very difficult to tell the difference between VGA and DVI. There is a difference but it is very, very slight. Maybe with higher res or larger screens there more of a difference.

You might be able to pick up the DVI cables on eBay. Also, I think PNY sell them direct. I got both DVI and VGA cables with the cards off eBay - these were OEM'ed by HP.

I bought a great desk stand from Amazon for 3 screens and it was only 250GBP (made in China) all looking very nice. Not sure what I would do with more than 3 screens. I once had 5 screens in the office together with a laptop, realised it was pretty pointless after a while and now back to 3.

How about one of these?

Large monitor from Siemens

Attachments

• siemens-large-monitor_large.jpg
    siemens-large-monitor_large.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,531
Now if only I could find a website like that for a company based in the UK !

Be carefull , some of these places charge a lot. I got my video card from ebay. Matrox G450 MMS Quad for $275.00 , DVI cables included ( they take four monitors and tie them into 2 cables in the back of your tower.) Also drivers come with them. Now you have 5 monitors on one machine. Since you should have a back up computer the other one could have dual monitors on it and you now have 7. Just a thought....
erie

What a waste of time and money. More screens dont improve trading. In fact the less often you look at a screen the more money you make. A small cheap lappy is perfect plus a tower for backup. Look once in the morning then again at bedtime thats all you need:)

What a waste of time and money. More screens dont improve trading. In fact the less often you look at a screen the more money you make. A small cheap lappy is perfect plus a tower for backup. Look once in the morning then again at bedtime thats all you need:)

Depends on your trading style - screens are just a tool. If i found the only way i can make money is with 10 screens, guess what I'd do?

I do agree that the whole setup shoulod be as simple as possible (Occams razor).

.........must get back to my signal search setup :arrowd:

Attachments

• screens.png
    screens.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 274
in a nutshell - YOU DONT NEED ONE.......... !!

buy a ruler and a copy of the FT will do perfectly........ :p

When you've got all the sections & pages of the FT opened up, wouldn't you need multiple desks? And what length of ruler would you recommend - metric or imperial units? :D

Multi Screens for PC

Hi Guys,

Looking for some help in getting a computer setup. I am looking for a 7 screen system. One larger screen (dealing screen) and 5 market screens and a misc screen.

I have been to a computer store (NOT PC WORLD !!) and they look pretty baffled about building something like this.

Does anyone know of a company that sets up computer systems for trading ??? Or do you need to build it yourself.

I have googled this and found nothing...so this is my last resort.

Thanks !!

Mark

I would suggest that you can get a good 2-4 array lcd monitors and a custom build computers especially for traders. I think this would be useful for you...

Here are some of the links to buy it...

Custom Trading Computers - Custom Built Specifically For Traders

Digital Tigers: Multiple Monitors: Multi-Screen LCD Displays and Computer Workstations

Trading Computers

If anyone lives inside or outside the northern half of the M25 (as far north as Luton, as far east as High Wycombe, all of North London) I'm probably in your local paper, computer services section as '999 Computer Help' I can go further but you'll have to pay for travel time. I'm also a trader. Mac or PC. Crash/virus/slowdown. Lost data recovery. Wireless install/setup. Custom builds etc. (07092 850361) Everything can be done on the spot (except custom built). Everything related to what I've done (except data recovery...) is guaranteed for at least a month. Nothing to pay unless satisfied, cash on the spot if you are.

HP XW6400 workstations. These are used in many trading rooms. Great products. Everything works out of the box. Just add graphics cards. You can have upto four cards.

Regards

Baldur