Complete NYSE & NASDAQ Symbol List

TheBramble

Legendary member
I'm designing and coding a Scanner using EXCEL .

As a pre-vet for the stock symbols to be included, I want a complete list of ALL stocks trades on NYSE and NASDAQ.

I've found the NAS-100 for the NASDAQ Site, but would appreciate any pointers to where I can get the entire list of symbols for all stocks traded on both exchanges.

Many thanks.

HiProb said:
Search by each industry group, one at a time. then export each list to .CSV format. Added benefit is filtering by share price/volume etc.
Thanks Edward. The Price/volume characteristics will be part of the pre-vet so I'll be grabbing the entire bunch.

But this only gives you a partial list (first 15 or so) from each industry sector.

Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
You can expand the number of returns you get. Look closely, I think the limit is 200 maybe more. But there are fewer than 200 in 99% if not 100% of each industry sector.

What data feed are you using? I used to use excel and AT financial and it really bogged down with around 300 or so symbols. I cant imagine a list of 3000 updating tick by tick!

Tony,

There are thousands of stocks which will make your task huge. I would suggest that you filter them on volume and price which will bring it down to maybe 200.

Unless you have a reason to want to have the entire list and if so I am curious as to why ?

Paul

HiProb & Trader333:-

I'm using DTN IQ and am isolating stocks that meet certain criteria. (Paul, I am sure you are familiar from TT forum the ones I am using).

The pre-vet phase will (attempt) to preview all stocks and on the selection criteria (which are variable) will provide a subset to the main Scanner module.

AS Trader333 says, probably end up with 200 or so, but the characteristics of stocks change now and again and I can't think of any other way to monitor those I might be interested in other than monitoring them all on a dynamic basis.

If anyone has suggestions for a workable alternative for selecting this subset on a regular (weekly?) basis into my main Excel based Scanner I'd be delighted to hear.

Tony,

In my view you dont need to be doing this on a weekly basis, more like every 3 months. I have around 140 that I monitor and every day I get good trading opportunities. Maybe I do miss a few because I havent updated my list on a weekly basis but there are always plenty that are tradeable. If you think about it I have 140 possible opportunities to trade so why would I need to keep that up to date weekly when most people only have 1 market they trade and are looking for specific setups ?

But if that is what you want to do then I wish you well

Paul

Paul, I'm not into work and effort for the sake of it, and if you feel a 3-monthly 'check up' is sufficient, I'll certainly buy into that.

How do you carry out your 3-monthly review?

The reason this has cropped up is that I haven't really reviewed my list since starting on this new 'trading session' other than to weed out, not add - and I'm down to about 70 stocks at present. Which is fine, I still get trading opportunities most days. But I have capacity to handle more.

Hi

These .txt files may be of some Help, I think that they are complete:

All NYSE Stocks (3,004 of them)
All Nasdaq Stocks (7,746 of them)

Also, I don't know what your weeding out process involves, but if you have a membership of www.Prophet.net you can get their computer to scan through NYSE and / or Nasdaq stocks for matches to your criteria if this is any use to you.

It will then give you a list of stocks by symbol.

You may be able to do it for free, I am not sure. They do allow you to do quite a bit for free. Every time I go to the site the programme recognises me and my membership, so I only know what I can do with a silver membership.

Attachments

• NYSE symbols.txt
    14.5 KB · Views: 3,429
  • Nasdaq Symbols.txt
    46.8 KB · Views: 3,614
Thanks Ardhill, much appreciated.

I'm a bit of a control freak and like to be able to build/modify my own filters as I tend to (sometimes) hang an exotic calculation or three off the end.

So I do like what you can do with Prophet and it would serve my purposes well most of the time, but not all the time.

And I'd rather not go into 'build scanner mode' at a time when I really need the infrastructure already in place!

Thanks again for the symbol lists. How/where did you get them?

How/where did you get them?

From the Prophet website. I set it up to scan the NYSE / Nasdaq stocks but with NO filters, the result was the list above which I copied and pasted into the text file.

I have enough fun trying to find winning trades without wanting to build a scanner / filter as well...

I wish you the best with it.

Of course, all trades are winning trades, it just depends on how you play them :cheesy:

Just thought that I would say that before someone else does ;)

The best place I find for listing and info on US stock is www. sixer.com you can scan and filter all Nadaq and NYSE stock - there is usually a free trial period.

Don't know if anyone is still watching this thread, but I found a good website with a complete list of symbols for most of the major exchanges around the world (incl. NYSE and Nasdaq).

http://www.eoddata.com/Symbols.asp

To download the lists you need to be a member, but you should be able to extract the list from the html using an Excel macro or a short piece of code.

Tony.

Thanks TL. You're right - it is a good site.

No need to write any code or Excel macros - membership is free & quick. Just downloaded list for all major exchanges, FX etc.

Free EOD in a number of formats (inc. MetaStock) and resonable prices for historic data.

!!! I'm sounding like an advert... :eek: