Competition Rule Changes

Please register your vote on the following proposed rule changes for the competition.

• Keep Starting Capital of £50,000

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Increase Starting Capital to £100,000

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Keep Max Shares in Portfolio as 5

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Increase Max Shares in Portfolio to 10

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters

Sharky

Staff
Please register your votes as to whether we should increase the starting capital of £50K to £100K and the limit on maximum shares from 5 to 10. Please note this is a multiple choice poll, so please make your choice for each proposed change.

If you think that the booty and limit on shares should be different to those proposed, please make your case on this thread.

Thanks,
Paul.

So far the concesus seems to be to keep the starting capital at £50K, but increase the allowed number of shares to 10. There's still plenty of time before the next competition starts and the new rules are implemented, so please do register your vote if you have a view on this.

Thanks!
Sharky.

Hi Sharky

I voted the combination you talked about because increasing the starting capital just doubles the risk and reward, so no real change.
In real life you can have as many shares as you like but I think 10 is a good size for the competition

All IMHO :)

It seems to me that the players who do well in this competition (i.e not myself who lost £16k last night on a technicality, lol) rarely have more than one share in their portfolio. They put their whole wedge on one stock and then move it on.

I can't see much point in extending the number of shares allowed from 5.

Andy

:(

Limiting Stocks

How about limiting stocks to those of the FTSE 100 or 250 :?:

Some users put their entire wodge into one penny share, suffer a big spread initially but come good in the later stages of the comp. Most never get over the initial spread.

Other users put more effort into buying/selling stocks on the FTSE and make gains only to see them wiped out by a lucky penny share pundit at the last minute.

I've tried both strategies, with no success on either! :eek:

I'm not usually a penny-share buyer, but I don't see why these punters should be disallowed. After all, it's open to everyone.

I don't suppose they're any luckier than Gary Player.

Andy

It wouldn't exclude anyone, it would just make for a closer competition - and therefore more fun for all :)

It would make sense if the capital was increased to 100k, the number of shares should increase to max 10, otherwise its ok as it is for me.
Col

Andy

Are you saying Gary Player was all luck and no skill :?:

I am retiring hurt, this is a fellow countryman of mine :cheesy:

But just before I sign off I have a thought or two on the change rules discussion. The only change I think useful is the 20 minute delay, and even this I have recently been given good advice on.

As for all the suggestions they would make little difference. We are all in the same boat facing the same challenges against the same rules. It is now up to individual strategy, skill etc to get ahead, and isn't this what trading is all about.

I don't think it wise to change the rules here and there to suit the strategy of one or two vocal players, we simply need a level playing field.

Sorry to go on, but there are more important things wrong with the competition, like stops and limits not working, that I think needs attention and our support for Sharky to sort it out.

Yes, you have my undying suuport Sharky, I am always there for you, if you need someone to talk to.

Nastyitch........

A spectator once offered the opinion that Gary Player had been lucky with a particular shot. G.P. famously replied:

"Yes, and it's funny that the more I practice, the luckier I get!"

I'm surprised that you have never heard that if you're a S African.

Sorry about the delayed response, but I have been having a well-earned hol.

Andy