Community Constitution

Using a blowtorch to swat flies much? Spammers is a non issue in the scheme of things given the scale of fraud and nonsense on the board's which is the real issue. Spammers were dealt with fine before and we're a minor inconvenience.

Using a blowtorch to swat flies much? Spammers is a non issue in the scheme of things given the scale of fraud and nonsense on the board's which is the real issue. Spammers were dealt with fine before and we're a minor inconvenience.

Nah, legendary spammers, get a pass ;)
I'm only pulling your, erm, leg I hope :eek: :LOL:
All restrictions lifted after 50-75 posts.

Well, there wasn't this kind of problem before. The easiest thing is to put everything back to how it was.
That is also a possibility, has to be said.
I have no idea what the turn around time is for dealing with spam reports. If it's quick and people know it's quick, they would be more inclined to use it. Then spam really wouldn't be a problem. If there are time gaps in the coverage for dealing with spam reports, that would dissuade people because they make a report and nothing happens for hours and their effort seem wasted.
Very quick if a mod is online.
Try it and see ;)

I've noticed the spam bots are dwindling and real human spammers are on the rise. Human beings by nature are impatient so exploit that fault by limiting posting to 10 per day for a new member and a time restriction of 5 minutes between posts. There is no perfect answer but eliminating the ability to rapid fire successive posts should be effective.

Peter

One idea I had would be to get rid of the anonymity of a username and use the facebook login that I see a lot these days on various sites. That would stop a lot of spamming and maybe increase the quality on here. You'd lose a lot of people too, but maybe might take things in a better direction?

They would only have the right for 1 thread per day.
Reason I suggested 1 is so a genuine scam victim can post,
or someone else who genuinely wanted some info quick.

Anyway, they are already messing up threads,
resurrecting old ones and messing up the new post link
as we stand.

They have the "Boiler Room Scams" thread. They might as well all be in the same place.

This is so true.

If everyone put as much effort in to improving the content as they do in cutting out the spam, the place would be a much more interesting venue.

Is it only a few of us that see that?

You should all take a leaf out of Brewski1984's book and start a thread on something outside of your comfort zone (see Forward Testing) and see if something interesting doesn't evolve. There are enough threads on live calls and technical strategies to last a lifetime.

This is so true.

If everyone put as much effort in to improving the content as they do in cutting out the spam, the place would be a much more interesting venue.

Is it only a few of us that see that?

You should all take a leaf out of Brewski1984's book and start a thread on something outside of your comfort zone (see Forward Testing) and see if something interesting doesn't evolve. There are enough threads on live calls and technical strategies to last a lifetime.

You're quite right, for that to happen you need an environment that promotes that.
No point providing decent content if no one can find it as it was buried under
a mountain of spam.
Remove the disincentive for content creation.
Sort the easy things first.

One idea I had would be to get rid of the anonymity of a username and use the facebook login that I see a lot these days on various sites. That would stop a lot of spamming and maybe increase the quality on here. You'd lose a lot of people too, but maybe might take things in a better direction?

Absolutely NO to the idea of a Facebook login.
I don't have a Facebook account and have absolutely ZERO intention of ever getting one. Just no!

Do you know what I want in this Community Constitution.

A simple thank you note when I report spam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know what I want in this Community Constitution.

A simple thank you note when I report spam.

:) Yes, thank you for your one today.

I've been angling for some time to have some automatic thank you in response to reports. I used to reply to each one individually, but it's one of those time consuming things that has fallen by the wayside. Must do better.

jon

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely NO to the idea of a Facebook login.
I don't have a Facebook account and have absolutely ZERO intention of ever getting one. Just no!

Thank the Lord that I'm not alone! I do have have an unused Twitter account, opened in a moment of weakness and curiosity, but the recent Saville stuff, plus other insults by actors, footballer, etc. have put me off that, too.

No. Good, old-fashioned, email is good enough for me.

I never understood facebook or twitter either.
Just seems like a bunch of people with 4000 "friends"
that "like" every crap advert they see :LOL:

I never understood facebook or twitter either.
Just seems like a bunch of people with 4000 "friends"
that "like" every crap advert they see :LOL:

Twitter is quite good for news. If you follow the right news feeds. You get up-to-date market reports / rumours / data very quickly.