college graduate....

k1ng87

I just graduated college and have started working full time recently. I want to start making wise investment decisions with my money and would like to get into the US stock market. I figured since i'm young that I could take on more risk than usual but I dont want to go in blindly. I just dont know how to start looking for companies to buy stock in and I just dont want to go buying blindly...

hi there !!

If you want to start making wise decisions, then I suggest that you should follow market news, try trading the markets with play money and read some books on trading. Investing is a good decision, but if you invest without any home work, then you should bear yourself when you are into losses.

So my advice is follow market news, understand when to invest and then once confident, go for it..

(Source: market talk section @ gnutrade)

Get off this forum. What platform do suggest to this guy? GNU trade perhaps?....

Mods should take a look at his threads. All spamming GNU.

I just graduated college and have started working full time recently. I want to start making wise investment decisions with my money and would like to get into the US stock market. I figured since i'm young that I could take on more risk than usual but I dont want to go in blindly. I just dont know how to start looking for companies to buy stock in and I just dont want to go buying blindly...

Here's the deal: don't invest in individual stocks unless you're a professional, period.

For someone such as yourself, what you may want to do is start by setting up a ROTH IRA (assuming you meet the IRS eligibility requirements, you will need to check on this). Give T. Rowe Price (T. Rowe Price) or Vanguard a call and ask them to send you a ROTH IRA kit. You can set up a monthly bank draft, say $50 bucks a month to go into a mutual fund. You might want to look at a Target Risk fund, or Target Dated fund, i.e. a Retirement 2050 fund, etc. These types of mutual funds do all the work for you as far as portfolio mix, etc. I wouldn't even mess with trying to watch CNBC, reading trading magazines, etc.

You might also want to pick up a good Dave Ramsey book at Borders, they're not very exciting, but you can learn a lot about investing, saving, managing your debt, etc. which is what it seems you're interested in. There's also some good personal finance magazines (as opposed to trading) as well: Kiplingers, Smart Money, and Money.

Good luck to you!

Take care