CMC New Platform bet financing cost is over 30% !

hi si5tamg hopefully now you will change your mind once you read posting 18.
look forward to you trying our demo account.
tks pc
Very scary and shocking indeed. And theres me getting ready to try them all over again with their new platform. After seeing this i dont think i would be.

Is is the same for the CFDs platform?

With Goldman Sachs owning 10% of CMC, u know ur F^£d!

Hi everyone,

This is a classic problem when you apply a cash product and calculate a PV based on an underlying, rolling future. It's (understandably) tough for someone to understand this when all they want to do is trade the spread on WTI vs. Brent, but unfortunately it really isn't as simple as taking your marked-to-market entry/exits and calculating a net P&L minus an overnight financing rate.

So what PC has said is correct (although it's a bit of a scary explanation for a retail client), and, in fact, what you're seeing is transparency that is unappealing to the retail eyeball.

If, for instance, you were rolling a futures (as opposed to cash) position from month to month, you would be paying the same annualised carry, but you would be conveniently blind to it. It might make you feel better and sleep better at night, but you would be effectively charged the same cost of carry, but nobody would spell it out for you.

All CFD providers should be showing the true annual carry cost of trade when creating a cash product over anything, but unfortunately it doesn't make for great marketing!

Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but CMC's detailing the true terms of the trade in a way that others are not willing to! I think some apologies are in order...

we know this , but y not offer futures y cash only ? there is no benchmark to compare cmc cash prices with , secondly what about the financing costs 2.3% annualized .

Well you might know this tar, but it's important to note that the majority of posters in this forum don't. Up until now it has been a pretty immature argument, so let's change the discussion to what you've just mentioned, which is perfectly valid and fair way to create some debate.

PC, why have you moved to cash commodities? From memory (and I trade with City) CMC used to offer futures with no financing. They're based on derivatives in the first place that offer similar leverage to your cash product, so why the change?

Also, is there a bloomberg PV product that I can use to benchmark your cash products? I'd love to know. I do my technical analysis based on bloomberg charts and cash products are useless to me as a result. You guys offer cash indices that mean nothing to me when I'm analysing charts. It's something that has always really p*ssed me off.

Hi Fxstorm

I really appreciate your very good explanation on rolling cash commodities. at least you have given an honest independent review of our finance charges without ranting on. Thanks very much.
I am not a chartist. Never have been never will be. I tried it once but threw my chart book in the bin after the 1987 stock market crash. I had to sellotape couple of extra pages on the bottom of my chart book when the market crashed and thought what a waste of time. also I do not trade my own account so have no interest in predicting markets. I have just concentrated on CMC since 1989. that is enough tobe getting on with.
Why do you need quarterly charts to analyse the markets. surely you can do this from cash charts. futures markets are not open 24 hours and in effect futures markets are a reflection of the cash markets plus/minus cost of carriage. I know futures can drive cash when they are open because there can be more liquidity but they roughly all move in line. (yes I know about arbitrage and contango etc)

also why do you trade with other spread bet provider. Not saying your shouldnt just need to know why so we can look to improve. also have you tried next gen platform yet and it's no ticket time out execution and no requotes and precision pricing.

thanks Peter

Also, is there a bloomberg PV product that I can use to benchmark your cash products? I'd love to know. I do my technical analysis based on bloomberg charts and cash products are useless to me as a result. You guys offer cash indices that mean nothing to me when I'm analysing charts. It's something that has always really p*ssed me off.