Climate Change

You drain the bits you want to use. The Dutch (and Singapore) know a thing or two about reclamation. They drained one of the most flood prone areas of the UK (The Fens ) a couple of hundred years ago and it's been ok ever since. Drove through last week – no problems, meanwhile west of the Midlands they struggle because nothing's been done.

....weeeell, you are right in that there no probs so far but give it another 50 years and the picture will most definitely be different.

The Boston flood barrier (a mini-Thames barrier) is projected to have a life of 100 years. As the Fens is a large area stretching to Lincoln in the North and almost to Cambridge in the South and there are several very low-lying areas around the Wash, more flood barriers will be needed.

Current estimates for the Fens barriers vary between 2 and 10 at £100M a pop. People who have day-to-day water related business in the area are already beginning to discuss which areas will be "indefensible", i.e abandoned.

...and on the subject of these barriers, I pointed out much earlier in this thread that the Thames barrier itself is already up and down like an un-politically correct sex-worker's undergarments and that estimates for when over-topping starts begin in a decade or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Draining the Fens was relatively easy, merely involved building a few canals to prevent serious water ingress and then just pump all the water out (and keep pumping ever since, faster than water seeps in).

But defending them against sea level rise is a whole other ball game - and most certainly not economically viable by any measure you'd care to apply. Ultimately, large areas will simply be abandoned to the inevitable.

It's quite easy to check which areas in the UK are not flood prone, surprisingly large areas of the Fens are not. Meanwhile Boston is an epicentre.

... They drained one of the most flood prone areas of the UK (The Fens ) a couple of hundred years ago and it's been ok ever since. Drove through last week – no problems, meanwhile west of the Midlands they struggle because nothing's been done.
....weeeell, you are right in that there no probs so far but give it another 50 years and the picture will most definitely be different.
It's quite easy to check which areas in the UK are not flood prone, surprisingly large areas of the Fens are not.
I quite agree that vast areas of the country are not currently at risk and that does include a lot of the Fens which are still reasonably well defended and drained . The original draining was accompanied by the building of dikes which have been periodically raised as the drained land shrinks lower - quite a large area is below sea-level now. My original point in reply to 0007's post was simply that the situation is changing and (that this being a Climate Change thread and all that) being not flood prone today means exactly that.

Some idiot no doubt influenced by money grubbing built houses on the flood plain and not surprisingly they keep getting flooded. Capitalism without realism imho.
Complete morons seem to have rushed in to buy houses on the flood plain. I am surprised they can get insurance.

Hmmm.

I think that the general arrogance of the human species and the delusion that it is in charge is well overdue for a blunt reminder from the forces of nature that it isn't.

As a forum full of more or less well educated traders, some may care to reflect on the trends and behaviors of markets and bubbles, bear and bull runs, peaks, troughs and crashes.

Then take a look at any major human statistic, say, population growth, lifespan, energy consumption, etc. etc.
Apply accumulated wisdom and experience from trading.
Reflect on probable future statistics.

Personally, I'm confident that life on our tiny insignificant speck in the vast universe will continue to adapt and survive as conditions change. I'm however far less convinced that the human species will be a part of that thriving future.

:)

:whistle:

fmi_swe_tracker.jpg

Does this mean we can carry on cutting down trees to make more bog-rolls?

It means that the UK shouldn't be spending £800 million of tax payers money on totally pointless carbon capture initiatives and such forth, when we should be investing in research into alternative food growing methods in parts of the world that were once growing zones until climate change shifted them Southward.

Plants need CO2, removing excess from the atmosphere combined with low solar radiation = slower growing crops or total loss = mass starvation.

I expect Boris and the cobra team are getting to grips with the bog roll crisis. Better late than never I suppose.
Not one left in the local COOP yesterday.

Climate change, CO2, fossil fuels... tangentially perhaps, but suppressed viable technologies that could have saved most of this? (I love a good conspiracy theory, but some of these ideas have some good history)

New Michael Moore film.
Can't comment yet, not watched it.
Saw it a few days ago - the lefties lovvie MM has stabbed them in the back. Its ok when he tells the 'truth' about stuff they agree with, but when he tells the 'truth' they dont like he's a nazi racist mysoginist xxx denier. Such fun.
All these green energy alternatives are useless AND they're killing the planet. :LOL:

Saw it a few days ago - the lefties lovvie MM has stabbed them in the back. Its ok when he tells the 'truth' about stuff they agree with, but when he tells the 'truth' they dont like he's a nazi racist mysoginist xxx denier. Such fun.
All these green energy alternatives are useless AND they're killing the planet. :LOL:

What an eye opener of a film that is. Ties in quite a few other topics we have ranted about over the years on T2W.