Chromebooks: any good?

trendie

Legendary member
Looking for a new laptop.
(current ones screen is screwed)

Chromebooks seem to be well liked,
Malware and viruses are supposedly less of an issue.

Any experiences, especially in relation to trading apps, etc. ?
Anything to watch out for? (in terms of spec, apps)

if you want to install and configure then its not for you. it's like a chrome browser with its apps etc. limited to Web apps it's not great for trading.

if you want a workhorse look at lenovo T series. their consumer ones also good. I have been using them for years and never been let down, still have a 17 year old one running (my daughter uses it)

if you want a cool pad\laptop then look at hp specture. you can flip the screen around and turn it into a pad

don't waste your time with chomebook as it's just for Web users and all you will access is hosted services for trading like rdp (cloud vm), tradingview, spread betting platforms. anything beyond Web related is not possible.

Last edited:

You’ll find a lot of things aren’t compatible which is the same for various apps. Unless you’ve got a very up to date printer that won’t be compatible either. I’d stay traditional until more applications get round to supporting it.

I have a Lenovo at the moment, so maybe another one of those, or an Acer.

The reviews on tech sites seem to think they're good and improving, but I dont know anyone who uses one.

. . . but I dont know anyone who uses one.
Yes you do, trendie!
;)
Although I'm happy with mine, I accept FXX's and Jon's criticism of them: not good for trading, but ideal for surfin' the interwebs, e-mail and watching YouTube etc.
Tim.

If you are looking for a new laptop then why not spec it yourself at one of the build to order companies which I have used and are very good. It has much less cost and higher general specification for the same price.

Depending on your model you could just replace the screen and upgrade the rest. A screen swap is not a big deal.

I recently added some RAM to my T520 (it's now 16gb) and swapped out the mechanical drives for SSDs. Mine has an internal mSATA port so I used that for my linux OS and have W7pro on a full size one + a third in a caddy instead of the DVD.

So I have dual-boot linux/windows and storage all on separate physical drives and as FXX sez, I can happily install whatever I like. Total cost of the memory and disc upgrade was around £100 and as far as I can see an equivalent new one would have cost me around £700/800 at the very least.

My Mrs has a Chromebook and hates it....and she doesn't even trade:p

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are looking for a new laptop then why not spec it yourself at one of the build to order companies which I have used and are very good. It has much less cost and higher general specification for the same price.
That also happens to be good advice for any PC build – whether DIY or professional. By their very nature, off the shelf computers have to be generalisations. The place to start is to decide what you want to use your PC for, where you're going to use it and what particularly annoys you about your previous computers. Then specify accordingly – getting expert technical advice if necessary. I've just spent a load of dosh on my desktop PC to acquire a high quality cpu cooler and power supply unit. They don't actually make it work any faster or do anything that many people would want, but – the silence made possible by the lack of over-taxed whirring fans is wonderful!

Last edited:
Eventually bought another Lenovo, (ADA Ryzen 3).
Also had the screen repaired on the old one, so will use a back-up lappy.

Reactions: FXX