Choppyness v Trending

Les Carlin

I thpought i'd continue this fascinating stuff with a new thread, as it departs quite bit from the original topic.

Mr. Charts said:
Watch the movements of the S&P futures and Nas futures in the first 30-45 minutes to get an idea of choppiness and see whether new extremes are set by around 11.10 or not.
Also see how the moves relate to the floor traders pivot levels to give a very good feel for the day.
These approaches work - it's as simple as that.
Not as fascinating as Skim's inimitable style and techniques and not as interesting either. But, hey, if it works for Skim it must be good ;-)
I'll keep the padded cell warm for you ;-)

I'll respond to last first. Its my professional opinion that some are beyond help. In Skim's case one thinks lobotomy, then sterilization to prevent the spread. After that, - well one shouldn't really speak about it publicly, but we haf vays und means ...:)

But i must say i have a similar intuitive approach often, although without the spectacular imagery Skim has revealed. I think of the market as an energy system. Eg, when the bars bunch up tight, keeping in a very narrow range i think of it as having a lot of pent-up energy. The tighter the pattern, the more powerful the breakout (ie release of energy) can be. That also relates to comparing to the previous day's action, etc.

I trade S&P fut and usually use the first half hour as a guide. I tried pivots recently and found little relationship with the early moves, however that was during the war (Iraqi, not WWI), so perhaps i could give it another shot.

Um, why extremes at 11-10? Shurely you mean 10-10am EST? Anyhow, you seem to be suggesting that when and whether the pivot is breached will have a bearing on choppiness/trending. Could you comment a little more on this relationship.

Thanks for the ideas, so far.

Les - done the lobotomy, but it's made little difference.

Well I did say that when she (the market) falls down a flight of stairs she gets dazed and needs time to recover. You can see from the action today on ES that that indeed is what happened. You think I'm mad, but it works! :cheesy:

Well I did say that when she (the market) falls down a flight of stairs she gets dazed and needs time to recover.
This sounds like the Anthony Quinn approach to trading. :)

You can see from the action today on ES that that indeed is what happened. You think I'm mad, but it works!
About as crazy as me.

Like parking...... or picking a dress. So many decisions, so little time. It's easy:- park it where it stops. Buy the one that gives the most change out of a Tenner....
Ouch!

ChartMan said:
Like parking...... or picking a dress. So many decisions, so little time. It's easy:- park it where it stops. Buy the one that gives the most change out of a Tenner....
Ouch!
Probably just as well you have a disclaimer ...