Cheap as Chips Backtesting

wysinawyg

Just discovered http://www.solidtrend.com

Seems to be a reasonably comprehensive backtesting package with the ability to add whatever instruments you want. Definitely some obvious limitations (about 2000 bars limit on data although it tells you all trades so you can just overlap and create multiple bits for each, doesn't create higher bars from lower ones so you need to load in all the different data bits you want and of course no data supply) but for someone who could never be bothered to learn a programming language it is soooo much easier than building complex logic functions and doing backtests with a basic excel spreadsheet (i.e. no VBA or macro knowledge!!)

Seeing as I'm just playing around with EOD strategies for various things it suits me fine at a monthly subscription of $4 or so, although I might look to get something better once I have the funds together to actually trade anything. Put it together with the free data sources available (Dukascopy for currencies and Yahoo being the immediate ones I can think of although neither are flawless) and you have a reasonable package to look at the viability of ideas.

Oh, and it can be combined with a mytrack feed for those using sierra/mytrack and wanting an inexpensive (although the version to accept live data costs a little more) add-on backtester.

wysi