Charting software for trials with historical data

alby

I am just starting out in the trading world and after reading many threads on this incredibly useful site I feel my initial approach should be:-
1. further research of technical analysis
2. practising on historical data with a good charting package

So I'm after advice on a versatile charting package that comes with loads of historical data so I can experiment for a while developing my strategies before committing to a monthly subscription. I presume most systems have a trial version that has most functionality included?

I am after a package that contains as many of the following as possible:
- trendlines
- moving averages
- stochastics
- bollinger bands
- RSI
- MACD
- volume
- ability to code own indicators

Which market is not really too important at this stage, though ultimately I'd like to analyse both UK & US stocks. EOD data will be sufficient.

All advice much appreciated!

Tradestation and Metasotck both allow you to do this. If your into automatic trading (coding and building your own system), then you should go for Tradestation 2000i. I believe there is a demo version of Metastock. And yes, they do come with:

-trendlines
- moving averages
- stochastics
- bollinger bands
- RSI
- MACD
- volume
- ability to code own indicators

If I find the demo I will post it here :cheesy:

If you haven't already done so have a trawl through the software guide which has only recently been reinstated - sorry that the links are not running properly yet.
Have a look at Wealth Lab developer for comparison with others. Ability to code own indicators on eod restricts choice a bit