CFT financials interview, w/o degree . need advice

vinay1

Hi,

I have an interview. at CFT financials' Montreal Branch run by Andy Priston.It is a futures prop firm with an elite group of traders.Full Story

They have a bout 25-30 traders.The thing is I haven't finished my degree , but I have nearly four years trading experience and knowledge.This has taken a toll on my academics and I have decided to put them on hold and go part time uni and full time trading.

I belive I got the interview based on my past trading experience;I gave a detailed report of me making 1000 % returns on a paper account in the forex market by trading shorting a basket of currencies after the credit crisis began .I have traded real accounts ,but I haven't shown it to them nor intend to do so as the account is under my father's name .Though, I will try to get proof that I trade the account.
I know so far the training can last upto a year, with a salary.There is a split and a basic after training , no draws. There are desk fees but they come after a certain period of time.

I have the interview in less than two weeks. I am confident than I can give an excellent interview,and I feel I have an edge as most c.v's without a degree don't get an interview anyways. I've prepared myself mentally to take the positon and transfer from university to professional life. I am very passionate about trading and dedicated alot of hours into trading.Now I might have to put my degree aside for a few years.

However, I am slightly worried if my not finishing my degree will hinder me getting the job? Should I put my degree aside to take thid position if I do get a job offer?I am only 21 and am ready to wait to finish it.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Hi,

I have an interview. at CFT financials' Montreal Branch run by Andy Priston.It is a futures prop firm with an elite group of traders.Full Story

They have a bout 25-30 traders.The thing is I haven't finished my degree , but I have nearly four years trading experience and knowledge.This has taken a toll on my academics and I have decided to put them on hold and go part time uni and full time trading.

I belive I got the interview based on my past trading experience;I gave a detailed report of me making 1000 % returns on a paper account in the forex market by trading shorting a basket of currencies after the credit crisis began .I have traded real accounts ,but I haven't shown it to them nor intend to do so as the account is under my father's name .Though, I will try to get proof that I trade the account.
I know so far the training can last upto a year, with a salary.There is a split and a basic after training , no draws. There are desk fees but they come after a certain period of time.

I have the interview in less than two weeks. I am confident than I can give an excellent interview,and I feel I have an edge as most c.v's without a degree don't get an interview anyways. I've prepared myself mentally to take the positon and transfer from university to professional life. I am very passionate about trading and dedicated alot of hours into trading.Now I might have to put my degree aside for a few years.

However, I am slightly worried if my not finishing my degree will hinder me getting the job? Should I put my degree aside to take thid position if I do get a job offer?I am only 21 and am ready to wait to finish it.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

One thing I would say, not just to you but anyone else in your position - you need to be 100% convinced you want to do this - you need to make your mind up about finishing your degree or trading, dont try and do both.

thanks for the advice. i've decide to commit mself to trading but keep one course a semseter in univesrsity so i won't break my ties there, i think one academc course instead of five a semester is doable.Even if finishing my degre will be agonizingly long it will mean that I will eventuallly get it done with out any cost to my trading. ur right I think that's what it comes down to and that's what makes or breaks traders , how commited they are to trading. I've made up my mind if i get the position i will dedicate a 100% to it.

It's a lonely path we have taken and the only barometer of success is our p/l. There's no going back now for me because I've already spent 4 years of my life into this, i can't give up now, me going prop will just solidify my commitment, because i know if am not commited, and if I dont' work hard now i will get nowhere and die poor adn uncontent . Like someone said,giving up now just makes us stay awake at night wondering if we could have made it . I will have nothing to ever show for myslef afterwards , success in my life will be measured by my trading and nothing else,its become too ingrained in my personality and identity, anything after this will be unstatisying and make me disillusioned.I notice many people come to this business but so many fail. We all know the rules they are pretty simple : cut losses hold winner, risk 1-2 % etc. yet so many of us fail, why ??I think it's because of a lack of commitment and determintaion. It''s hard to maintain the discpline required.So many hoeps and dreams get shattered by not looing at the realities of the situation. I' ve lost a lot of money trading, so i have given my dues to the market and have internatlised the pschology required .Looking for profits never gets u any , only maintaing trading performace leads to profits.I know what lies ahead for me if i fail, and i know waht causes failure.So the fear of bad trading and the fear of failing really motivates me to perform. I actually fee lucky to get this oppurtunity as I see man graduates who can't get jobs and Iknow that htis firm usually chucks c.v's without degrees in teh bin.The fact that i got an interview gives me confidence that my experience is appreciated.Iknow Iwillbeworking for and be trained by some of the best in the business. So right now, it's really a no brainer for me.

good trading to all