Another plea for advice!

sw2020

Ideally I want to get onto a grad scheme with an investment bank. Working as a fund manager would be my eventual dream job.

I'm 22, I have a good job as a mortgage broker and studying part time for a degree in business & management. 2 years left.

Is it worth scrapping my job to go and obtain a degree from a better University full time? Or will a successful working track record be more beneficial?

I'm guessing that unless it's a good Uni then I will struggle to get an interview. What other routes are there from a grad scheme? Will it make a difference of how I obtained my degree?

Working my ass off at the moment and unsure it's going to get me where I want to go!

Ideally I want to get onto a grad scheme with an investment bank. Working as a fund manager would be my eventual dream job.

I'm 22, I have a good job as a mortgage broker and studying part time for a degree in business & management. 2 years left.

Is it worth scrapping my job to go and obtain a degree from a better University full time? Or will a successful working track record be more beneficial?

I'm guessing that unless it's a good Uni then I will struggle to get an interview. What other routes are there from a grad scheme? Will it make a difference of how I obtained my degree?

Working my ass off at the moment and unsure it's going to get me where I want to go!

why don't you look at the jobsites and see what skills/experience a great number of people are looking for, in your preferred area and take it from there.

There is a low risk strategy and a high risk one.

The low risk strategy is to keep going with your p/t degree and just apply for stuff. Frankly I'd be very surprised if you got a sniff anywhere. Low risk, low return.

The high risk strategy is to jack in your job and go and do a numerate degree (maybe not finance / business - you have that on your cv already. Try chemical engineering or applied physics or something) at a good university. It's high risk because at the end of it competition for grad schemes is so great that there's no guarantee you'll get a place on one anyway, and you'll have given up three years of work to do it. But there is a slim chance that you'll be one of the 200-300 applications they receive for each place that gets through. But whatever the outcome, maybe your life chances will be improved anyway with a good degree from a good university.

It may be discouraging and fuel dormant class warrior instincts, but if you want to end up a fund manager, have a look at some fund management websites, look at the managers' profiles and see what their backgrounds are.

And if you really have the ambition to end up in a high profile career in the City, you'll know what to do... you won't need advice from a forum ;)

I'm 85% sure of what I'm going to do. Just interested in others views on the subject.

Be careful what you wish for....

I think as a long haul a degree is first step but this is still a long shot unless you are very impressive and write a great resume. Maybe you also need to think about MBA in long run, that often leads to new openings as there is active recruitment of students from places like LBS. I have seen friends go this way and get themselves into well paid city careers.

I know that is going to be best in the longterm. It's a very hard choice to completely give up an income to go and become a student full time!!!