Can-tick-charts-time-charts-combined-into-single-chart

12WBT

Hi Timsk or any one else

Do you think this is possible?

An example if possible would be great to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only relate to FX trading.

I have used "tick charts" to assist me for along time - ( in my view)

I have never traded any other instrument or product during my 13 years journey - with now 7 years being full time trading normally 5 days a week approx 40 + weeks a year and anything from 3 to 12 hrs per day. Normally every hour I will be looking at some chart under 60 seconds on one FX pair

I don't want to reveal all my information just at this moment of time - but one particular member has taken me to task about my word terminology of calling all FX charts under 60 seconds as "tick charts" and not separating under normal market terms of a tick chart being from trade data and charts under 60 seconds being time data - and so under the correct terminology - they are not true tick charts - but time data charts.

I call all FX charts that are less than 1 minute or 60 seconds as being "tick charts " - whether the movement is via pure trade data - or time data.

I personal prefer time information - but for me because time under 60 seconds can be measured in ticks - I will not call it a 10 second chart - I will still call it a 10 second tick chart.

Can fixed interval time data be combined with pure trade data information in one chart ?

My answer is YES - and I am no software or programming expert.

But in truth - it really does not need to be combined and I will give examples why ( remember this is for FX trading )

Unless any traders are manually trying to take 3 or 5 micro scalp trades in under 60 secs - either chart format can be used. - it maybe down purely to your own preference.

I have used both formats on 4 different broker platforms as well as on additional Intellichart Pro charts with different price feeds for approximately 5 years.

The devil is in the data - I am sure some bright spark will want me to do a equivalent to a wine tasting test - ie 6 different charts showing movements under 60 seconds - and without being told which is in one format or the other format - name them etc.

Ok - lets have all the pure technical theorist pulling me apart.

Remember though - we all trade to make money - not to win points off theory or what some maths of science professor tells us - in the real world - reality always priority over basic theory - well it does for me

Whilst we are also on the subject - I am sure most of you do know that brokers platforms and charts are not that accurate at all - I could write a chapter on all the stuff I have found out on them - but that maybe can be another topic for another time

Compliments of the season - I will follow up once I see the level of debate ;-)

Regards

F

The devil is in the data - I am sure some bright spark will want me to do a equivalent to a wine tasting test - ie 6 different charts showing movements under 60 seconds - and without being told which is in one format or the other format - name them etc

i reckon i could separate and label 8, 13,21 and m1 charts easily, no problem. am i missing the point here?

but for me because time under 60 seconds can be measured in ticks
F

But That's like saying ''To me, any temperature under 50 degrees Centigrade can be measured in Kilograms''

LOL.

I hate to say it, but I honestly think that there's no point in having a debate with you, because I honestly don't think that your brain can handle remotely complicated concepts anymore!

The devil is in the data - I am sure some bright spark will want me to do a equivalent to a wine tasting test - ie 6 different charts showing movements under 60 seconds - and without being told which is in one format or the other format - name them etc

i reckon i could separate and label 8, 13,21 and m1 charts easily, no problem. am i missing the point here?

Yes you are missing the point ...

Initially the discusison was about F's claim that his broker provides him with a 10 second tick chart.
It's taken lots of spoonfeeding, but at least he has since conceded that the confusion was because he has his own definition of things.
I do wonder if this was his last resort after reasling that, supposedly, for the last decade, he hasn't actually known what a tick chart actually is and what it measures, but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt!! lol

Merry Christmas!
Made my 500 pips on EU today, so i'm happy :)

To me a 5 tick bar is a bar completed with 5 transactions, a 5 seconds bar is a bar completed with 5 seconds.

It is possible to combine the two? I had a think about it, I think we can and also cannot be a bad idea especially when we look for momentum: a bar with 5 tick in 5 seconds has a bit more meaning then a bar with 1 tick in 5 seconds. Do you know what I mean?

Last edited:
Should be able to overlay charts to show separate lines on one chart for tick and time.

But to show as one line guess you will have to write some programme, maybe someone has done that.

Then is going to have to work out an average from tick and time.

- but one particular member has taken me to task about my word terminology of calling all FX charts under 60 seconds as "tick charts" and not separating under normal market terms of a tick chart being from trade data and charts under 60 seconds being time data - and so under the correct terminology - they are not true tick charts - but time data charts.

so you recognise now that a 10 second chart is NOT the same as a tick chart? That it was just your terminology?

I also thought tick trading would rule out FX trading.

Because there is no central clearing house in FX trading.

And you would only be getting the ticks from your broker or there liquidity provider.

I also thought tick trading would rule out FX trading.

Because there is no central clearing house in FX trading.

And you would only be getting the ticks from your broker or there liquidity provider.

Another very good point by you 12WBT - and well done - you have a brain and use it

On FX there are actually only very small difference with 10 second charts and say 13 or 21 tick

In fact Bob Volman is his book on FX trading suggests using either a 30 second chart or a 70 tick for his own particular method

I can scalp trade off both formats - but for me in my own FX trading world - all charts under 1 minute or 60 seconds are tick charts - as a tick is also a measurement of time - so it can be a 10 second tick or a 30 second tick or whatever - but not once over 60 seconds

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Regards

F

Another very good point by you 12WBT - and well done - you have a brain and use it

On FX there are actually only very small difference with 10 second charts and say 13 or 21 tick

In fact Bob Volman is his book on FX trading suggests using either a 30 second chart or a 70 tick for his own particular method

I can scalp trade off both formats - but for me in my own FX trading world - all charts under 1 minute or 60 seconds are tick charts - as a tick is also a measurement of time - so it can be a 10 second tick or a 30 second tick or whatever - but not once over 60 seconds

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Regards

F
Like I asked you on the other thread but answer it here as its off topic on other thread ..Show me any reference or proof were a tick is a measurement of time other than in your head

Like I asked you on the other thread but answer it here as its off topic on other thread ..Show me any reference or proof were a tick is a measurement of time other than in your head

How Long is a Tick?
Created May 21, 2002 | Updated Jul 3, 2013

8 Conversations

I'll be back in a tick!
It'll just take a tick.
I'll only be a tick.
These three phrases refer to a tick as an amount of time. This entry will illustrate three different lengths of time that a tick can represent, and will hopefully answer the question - how long is a tick?

Length One - a Tick Is One Second Long

The dictionary defines a tick as 'a light recurring click or beat, as of a clock or watch'. Since on a watch or clock a tick is one second, by following the dictionary meaning, this must be the value of a tick. However, the dictionary meaning does not refer to a tick as a length of time in any meaning, apart from as a click or beat. What the dictionary does do is suggest that one second is the length of time of a tick, as it mentions the click of clocks and watches where one tick equals one second.

Length Two - a Tick Is Equal to a Tock, or Half a 'Tick-Tock'

Since on an old clock the length of a tick and a tock are the same, a tick must therefore be equal to a tock, or half of a 'tick-tock'. Although this length, is derived from the passage of time on a clock, it is also derived from the human internal keeping of time. Keeping time by counting 'tick-tock' gives humans an accurate way of measuring time equally. It would be much harder for humans to try and keep time in minutes without a watch or clock.

Length Three - a Tick Can Be a Short, Varying Period of Time

This definition comes from the phrases at beginning of this entry in which a tick represents a short measurement of time. The first two lengths of time were very short and that is because a tick is a very short length of time. However, this third definition, although short, is more open to interpretation, and is definitely a lot longer then the other two. This is because of how it is used by people. When someone says 'I'll only be a tick', what they are really saying is 'I won't be long'. The former is more positive, and sounds better than the latter. In this way, a tick can be used as a short value of time to make a sentence sound more positive.

Comparison

According to Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, one of the many definitions of a tick is:

... the time taken by the tick of a clock: (MOMENT)
A moment is 'a short space of time' so this definition seems to support Length Three - that a tick is a short length of time.

How Long is a Tick?
Created May 21, 2002 | Updated Jul 3, 2013

8 Conversations

I'll be back in a tick!
It'll just take a tick.
I'll only be a tick.
These three phrases refer to a tick as an amount of time. This entry will illustrate three different lengths of time that a tick can represent, and will hopefully answer the question - how long is a tick?

Length One - a Tick Is One Second Long

The dictionary defines a tick as 'a light recurring click or beat, as of a clock or watch'. Since on a watch or clock a tick is one second, by following the dictionary meaning, this must be the value of a tick. However, the dictionary meaning does not refer to a tick as a length of time in any meaning, apart from as a click or beat. What the dictionary does do is suggest that one second is the length of time of a tick, as it mentions the click of clocks and watches where one tick equals one second.

Length Two - a Tick Is Equal to a Tock, or Half a 'Tick-Tock'

Since on an old clock the length of a tick and a tock are the same, a tick must therefore be equal to a tock, or half of a 'tick-tock'. Although this length, is derived from the passage of time on a clock, it is also derived from the human internal keeping of time. Keeping time by counting 'tick-tock' gives humans an accurate way of measuring time equally. It would be much harder for humans to try and keep time in minutes without a watch or clock.

Length Three - a Tick Can Be a Short, Varying Period of Time

This definition comes from the phrases at beginning of this entry in which a tick represents a short measurement of time. The first two lengths of time were very short and that is because a tick is a very short length of time. However, this third definition, although short, is more open to interpretation, and is definitely a lot longer then the other two. This is because of how it is used by people. When someone says 'I'll only be a tick', what they are really saying is 'I won't be long'. The former is more positive, and sounds better than the latter. In this way, a tick can be used as a short value of time to make a sentence sound more positive.

Comparison

According to Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, one of the many definitions of a tick is:

... the time taken by the tick of a clock: (MOMENT)
A moment is 'a short space of time' so this definition seems to support Length Three - that a tick is a short length of time.

lol...the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy is the best you can do

You even posted my point .I highlighted it in your reply ...A tick is a perception of time at best

An inch length in a tick chart could be an hour worth of time - during very slow market overnight - or just a few seconds worth !

lol...the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy is the best you can do

You even posted my point .I highlighted it in your reply ...A tick is a perception of time at best

NO

I could find plenty more dictionary definitions and other reports - but as Tar says - then it goes into just pages of pages of information - but it proves I am not the only person in the whole world who does not relate a tick to a time concept.

What's your opinion on 12TBW's comment ??

An inch length in a tick chart could be an hour worth of time - during very slow market overnight - or just a few seconds worth !

I think he's still a little confused on this aspect. I thought he had grasped the concept in one of his posts yesterday, but he seems to have regressed a little.

Maybe someone can link F to the beginners guide thread that helps to explain the basics, and then when he's understood that stuff, he might be able to start to get his head around tick charts etc?

PS - A clock goes TICK TOCK!! i LOVE that!!!