Can-tick-charts-time-charts-combined-into-single-chart

NO

I could find plenty more dictionary definitions and other reports - but as Tar says - then it goes into just pages of pages of information - but it proves I am not the only person in the whole world who does not relate a tick to a time concept.

What's your opinion on 12TBW's comment ??

Yes and if I go to a star trek forum I will find info on aliens ....Forget his comment as you will use that as an excuse ..We are not talking about FX ..this is solely about you and 10 second tick tock charts

Yes and if I go to a star trek forum I will find info on aliens ....Forget his comment as you will use that as an excuse ..We are not talking about FX ..this is solely about you and 10 second tick tock charts

I ONLY TALK ABOUT FX RETAIL TRADING

I have never traded one other instrument or product in last 13 years - not ftse / dow/ Gold /oil - nothing

My trading expertise as said at least twenty time this year is pure retail FX trading

You don't have to worry - your comments have been fine

Merry Christmas

Regards

F

I have never traded one other instrument or product in last 13 years - not ftse / dow/ Gold /oil - nothing

My trading expertise as said at least twenty time this year is pure retail FX trading

Merry Christmas

Regards

F

Even in FX a tick chart isn't the same as 10 or 30 seconds chart , its totally different , a tick chart in FX covers the movements in price regardless of the volume , but it has nothing to do with time either .

Merry Christmas

Regards

F

Ok so if ticks are no use in FX as you brought up ,then why since you started on this forum have you said you use them

Even in FX a tick chart isn't the same as 10 or 30 seconds chart , its totally different , a tick chart in FX covers the movements in price regardless of the volume , but it has nothing to do with time either .

I agree with Tar - but I still call them both tick charts - but as 12TBW says the proper 13 - 21 - 70 tick chart in FX are really not as useful - simply because its not true market data - time for me is more important - as that applies across the whole world FX markets

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

F

I agree with Tar - but I still call them both tick charts - but as 12TBW says the proper 13 - 21 - 70 tick chart in FX are really not as useful - simply because its not true market data - time for me is more important - as that applies across the whole world FX markets

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

F

Its a first ,you agree with common sense

movements in price regardless of the volume , but it has nothing to do with time either .

Oh God, tar! Don't mention Volume!
Once he finds out that volume charts exist, you can safely write off about 6 months as you attempt to educate him on them too!

Oh God, tar! Don't mention Volume!
Once he finds out that volume charts exist, you can safely write off about 6 months as you attempt to educate him on them too!

We need a another 30 to 50 pages before we move from tick and time to volume and time.

Think some one is waiting in the wind.

Another very good point by you 12WBT - and well done - you have a brain and use it

On FX there are actually only very small difference with 10 second charts and say 13 or 21 tick

In fact Bob Volman is his book on FX trading suggests using either a 30 second chart or a 70 tick for his own particular method

I can scalp trade off both formats - but for me in my own FX trading world - all charts under 1 minute or 60 seconds are tick charts - as a tick is also a measurement of time - so it can be a 10 second tick or a 30 second tick or whatever - but not once over 60 seconds

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Regards

F

yes this is common. check out emini site, lots of discussion about which tick is similar to which second chart etc

Tick charts various from each provider because not central provider in forex, once I had to match (approx) a tick chart to a 30 second chart, from a data provider I needed the 70 tick chart, from a forex broker with mt4 platform I only needed a 8 tick chart if I remember correctly.

It is early morning down here and Christmas, so Merry Christmas and be good, your strength lays there.

Tick Charts for me

Fascinating discussion.

So here's my definition of a "tick chart".

RAW TICK CHART. This shows every Bid and Ask price change which your broker feeds to you. Faster brokers, more pricing data changes possible per unit time.

To me, Bars and Candles are really the same thing.

N TICK BAR. This is a Bar or Candle formed with OHLC (open, high, low, close price) data (using either the Bid or Ask price, but not both) which consists of a Fixed number (N) of Raw Quote Ticks from your broker. These "ticks" are not "transactions or trades" but merely successive updates of the Bid/Ask prices at the rate your broker provides.

N TICK BAR charts are an interesting correlated measure of how "excited" a market is, since more Bars/Candles are formed when quote data rates rise. Where excitement is defined as more quote changes per unit time, usually associated with more traders "jumping into" the market, perhaps also more "transactions" taking place but, remember...

Forex does not have Time and Sales as it is a decentralized market, and the brokers DO NOT want you to know the transaction flows which they COULD provide for you, since some brokers mediate actual trades and could inform us traders of the trades which execute. However, confidentiality and tradition in Forex mean that few if any offer a Time and Sales and it would be a "broker specific" or "exchange specific" Time and Sales. For example, LMAX could issue a Time and Sales since it is an "exchange".

HyperScalper

Last edited:
Fascinating discussion.

So here's my definition of a "tick chart".

RAW TICK CHART. This shows every Bid and Ask price change which your broker feeds to you. Faster brokers, more pricing data changes possible per unit time.

To me, Bars and Candles are really the same thing.

N TICK BAR. This is a Bar or Candle formed with OHLC (open, high, low, close price) data (using either the Bid or Ask price, but not both) which consists of a Fixed number (N) of Raw Quote Ticks from your broker. These "ticks" are not "transactions or trades" but merely successive updates of the Bid/Ask prices at the rate your broker provides.

N TICK BAR charts are an interesting correlated measure of how "excited" a market is, since more Bars/Candles are formed when quote data rates rise. Where excitement is defined as more quote changes per unit time, usually associated with more traders "jumping into" the market, perhaps also more "transactions" taking place but, remember...

Forex does not have Time and Sales as it is a decentralized market, and the brokers DO NOT want you to know the transaction flows which they COULD provide for you, since some brokers mediate actual trades and could inform us traders of the trades which execute. However, confidentiality and tradition in Forex mean that few if any offer a Time and Sales and it would be a "broker specific" or "exchange specific" Time and Sales. For example, LMAX could issue a Time and Sales since it is an "exchange".

HyperScalper

how could this state of affairs be altered?

how could this state of affairs be altered?

Well, just guessing but by "state of affairs" do you mean a lack of Time and Sales in Forex?

I don't know how we can get T&S information, but I've used algorithms to "synthesize" a "virtual Time and Sales" by looking at a Depth of Market and seeing how trades could "eat" into the DOM levels.

Now, this is speculative, statistical and based upon assumptions that a large Retail Sell will "eat" into several Bid side tiers of the DOM and we can thus make some inferences about a "virtual" trade size. Similarly, successive DOM snapshots on the Ask/Offer side of the DOM can be the basis for an inference about a "virtual" retail Buy.

Now, we know this will not be accurate but, if we do exactly the same thing on the Bid and Ask sides of the market, then we are making a "fair" calculation which should be "unbiased" and so the result should be correlated with some "real" Time and Sales. At least it reflects a "relative" measurement of the strength of Retail Buying and Selling "virtually" ....

Things go further than that, such is the insanity which has driven me to extract everything possible from the Dukascopy Depth of Market through "insane" algorithms. :)

But it would be so nice to have a streaming "real" Time and Sales :)

HyperScalper