Can LIBERALISM survive ?

Pat494

Legendary member
The West prides itself that liberalism can not only survive but flourish, particularly at Universities. That is the right to hold peaceful views.
The East is exhibiting more evidences of the evils of nationalism. The Nationalists in India are insisting that to be Indian their people MUST be followers of Hinduism.
In China there is active persecution of Christianity, Moslems and others. The Cathedral of Beijing has been demolished and other churches have to be licenced by the State and install spying equipment. Their Moslems are put into re-education camps until they submit.
As with everything there is a good and bad side. to religion and nationalism.
One can only hope that the authorities come to their senses sooner rather than later.
Toleration is a natural right of All people. To live in peace.

Last edited:
Just from a personal point of view some of the liberal libertarian policies seem great when debated by academics among the dreamy spires of Oxbridge BUT really flounder in the real world. Is this why there are virtually no liberal countries on this planet ? The leaders of today were the liberal minded youth of years gone by. They seem to have forgotten the flower power etc. of their past.

The West prides itself that liberalism can not only survive but flourish, particularly at Universities. That is the right to hold peaceful views.
Exactly what peaceful views are you talking about?? I see NO Peaceful views at liberal universities. They riot to squelch the conservative views.

Peter

Exactly what peaceful views are you talking about?? I see NO Peaceful views at liberal universities. They riot to squelch the conservative views.

Peter
True liberals, as I understand it, tolerate all other views except those inciting others to violence whether it be through racism or politics etc.

True liberals, as I understand it, tolerate all other views except those inciting others to violence whether it be through racism or politics etc.

Three enemies of the liberalists:
  • The globalists
  • The feminists (feminazis)
  • The Islamists
Without those, we would have a much more liberal and peaceful world :D

I think one of the greatest threats to Liberalism currently is Trumpism, where it doesn't matter whether he gropes women's genitals in public, colludes with foreign spies or whatever. He gets away with it. After brushing off the Muller report he is about to do the same to the impeachment proceedings. No longer can the US institutions constrain this president. They try and fail to stop Trump having the power to declare war on any country he chooses whether it is justified or not.
Uncle Sam is turning into a nasty creature of open assassination, torture etc. The US is now competing on the low ground of foulness, having lost on the high ground of morality

I think one of the greatest threats to Liberalism currently is Trumpism, where it doesn't matter whether he gropes women's genitals in public, colludes with foreign spies or whatever. He gets away with it. After brushing off the Muller report he is about to do the same to the impeachment proceedings. No longer can the US institutions constrain this president. They try and fail to stop Trump having the power to declare war on any country he chooses whether it is justified or not.
Uncle Sam is turning into a nasty creature of open assassination, torture etc. The US is now competing on the low ground of foulness, having lost on the high ground of morality

There's alot of truth in this, however when your enemies play dirty, do you uphold the moral high ground or send in the boys? Where does the demarcation lie?

There's alot of truth in this, however when your enemies play dirty, do you uphold the moral high ground or send in the boys? Where does the demarcation lie?
Well, good point and the song " Tie me monsteroo down sport " seems to cover it. For the Ozzies at least.

Last edited:
Liberalists are very liberal until they feel they're morally right and you're morally wrong. They ain't so liberal then.

Nor are those pro-free movement types. They're all for getting rid of borders. Until someone crosses the "border" between the street and their house and nicks their TV - they're straight on the phone for the police to come along and play border guard for their property then.

Then there's anarchists. They believe in the rejection of states' rules systems. Until someone blows through a red traffic light and t-bones their Prius. then they're straight on the phone to the police and their insurance company.

And as for pacifists - well, my advice is just don't ever get into a fight about war with a pacifist........