Can futures contracts be traded overnight?

SanMiguel

Experienced member
Can futures contracts be traded overnight?
My broker displays the FTSE100 index but price keeps changing after 1630 UK time, they say this is because the index is calculated on futures after 1630.
WTF

ftse future is open u ntil 9pm. S&P future is open 23 hours a day...

Is it right that the broker carried on adjusting the FTSE100 values with the futures values after closing time? It doesn't sound right - I'm not sure their customer service guy knew what he was talking about.

The prices will always be based on the future, except when it settles. This is because they hedge in the future rather than cash.

Is it displaying futures prices, or indicative cash prices derived from the future?

Is it displaying futures prices, or indicative cash prices derived from the future?

Well...according to their customer services, indicative prices based on futures contracts.
So, after 1630 UK time, the FTSE 100 charts keeps changing price even though the market is closed.

Yep, that's normal.

So the chart should stop moving at 9pm UK time?
I think he mentioned futures could be traded overnight but not sure.
So, are the futures contracts taken into consideration during the day time on the FTSE 100? If so, why don't they just trade the actual stock?

So the chart should stop moving at 9pm UK time?

Not necessarily; they may price off other correlated markets such the S&Ps.
I think he mentioned futures could be traded overnight but not sure.
So, are the futures contracts taken into consideration during the day time on the FTSE 100? If so, why don't they just trade the actual stock?

Because the transaction costs of the futures are much cheaper than trading cash.