can anyone advise me on 2 minute closes

Peter

Hello,

Does anyone know with certainty IF the US stock market / indices TOTALLY stop trading when on occasions there are market closes for a minute or 2 minute period on certain special occasions...

SUCH as say on dates such as 11th Sept maybe on certain years after 9/11/01.

I ask this because with the markets now having such a lot of electronic trading activity... Would this stop the markets moving in reality..

Although a chart MAY appear to show 2 minute bars as just a line on an intraday chart ie
( Flat with no high low range ) IS there some system in the electronic systems that PREVENT any trades being put on during that 2 minute period..

I understand on the FLoors or in the trade pits the traders / fillers cannot act...

ALSO According to the New york stock exchange There are also occasions of 1 or 2 minute silences .. Now my first initial point of view is this could be the same as the markets being closed say two minutes... BUT Id be very doubtful it would stop electronic trading...
Ive been shown one eg of a period of a intraday chart on one of these days where the market has had a small range during a minute of silence.. BUT I dont know how this compares with other odd minutes on other dates. but i assume chances are it has actually traded due to electronic means..

IM just trying to find out with certainty.

I called the NYSE data dept to ask them about this and they were NOT totally sure, but they did suspect the markets traded electronically in periods of silence.

Would anyone know of a GOOD source or exchange related to the Electronic trading that I could contact to check up with about if the markets still trade for certain in both minutes of silence AND even what are surposed to be market minute closes...

IF orders are place say over a 2 min period, I wonder if they mount up as such upon waiting for the close or silence times to end, then have a bit of a surge on the action if volumes increased.

I know to most this may seem irrelevant, but its part of some research that I am doing..

Thank you for anyone who can offer me any valid advice.

Pete

Last edited:
closes

Peter said:
Hello,

Does anyone know with certainty IF the US stock market / indices TOTALLY stop trading when on occasions there are market closes for a minute or 2 minute period on certain special occasions...

SUCH as say on dates such as 11th Sept maybe on certain years after 9/11/01.

I ask this because with the markets now having such a lot of electronic trading activity... Would this stop the markets moving in reality..

Although a chart MAY appear to show 2 minute bars as just a line on an intraday chart ie
( Flat with no high low range ) IS there some system in the electronic systems that PREVENT any trades being put on during that 2 minute period..

I understand on the FLoors or in the trade pits the traders / fillers cannot act...

ALSO According to the New york stock exchange There are also occasions of 1 or 2 minute silences .. Now my first initial point of view is this could be the same as the markets being closed say two minutes... BUT Id be very doubtful it would stop electronic trading...
Ive been shown one eg of a period of a intraday chart on one of these days where the market has had a small range during a minute of silence.. BUT I dont know how this compares with other odd minutes on other dates. but i assume chances are it has actually traded due to electronic means..

IM just trying to find out with certainty.

I called the NYSE data dept to ask them about this and they were NOT totally sure, but they did suspect the markets traded electronically in periods of silence.

Would anyone know of a GOOD source or exchange related to the Electronic trading that I could contact to check up with about if the markets still trade for certain in both minutes of silence AND even what are surposed to be market minute closes...

IF orders are place say over a 2 min period, I wonder if they mount up as such upon waiting for the close or silence times to end, then have a bit of a surge on the action if volumes increased.

I know to most this may seem irrelevant, but its part of some research that I am doing..

Thank you for anyone who can offer me any valid advice.

Pete
if the last trade is made at 3pm central time and you and i are traders on the floor it might take a couple minutes for that trade to be reported also if the trader is long he wants to by 1 on the offer at close to show a better p/l on his sheets they call it marking

Hi Ammo,

I spoke to a broker today, and his reply was interesting...

he more or less suggested each trading exchange may have their own rules.. some MAY close.. others May trade in the silences or expected closes..

As for the electonic trading , he didnt seem to think that would stop..

hes told me to check with the CME as they do both open out cry/ pit trading and electronic simultaneously.

Then theres the fact that the futures is traded at a different exchange for both spx and dow...

NYSE as I understand show the data for the cash markets.

Its still not fully understandable exactly what happens, but it may well be that one futures exchange trades when NYSE may be closed for 2 mins.

Pete

if the last trade is made at 3pm central time and you and i are traders on the floor it might take a couple minutes for that trade to be reported also if the trader is long he wants to by 1 on the offer at close to show a better p/l on his sheets they call it marking