Buying programmes

Pat494

Legendary member
If you buy a programme does that give you the legal right to look at and maybe adjust its inner workings ?

If you buy a car you surely have the right to look under the bonnet but what about software ?

Maybe it is a case of can one open up the software code ?

Generally you don't 'buy' the program, the sales contract is that you are licenced to use it. Obviously if you can open it up and tweak it, good for you, but it would usually be forbidden by the contract. In your analogy a bit like attaching after-market bits to your car that then invalidate the warranty...

If you buy a programme does that give you the legal right to look at and maybe adjust its inner workings ?

If you buy a car you surely have the right to look under the bonnet but what about software ?

if you can get access to the source code, then you have the right. Although alot of "proprietary" stuff is locked down.
The issue though is ongoing maintenance which is often compromised as soon as its amended. You effectively forfeit the right for maintenance, and take any responsibilty when it comes to upgrades going wrong.
Same is true for cars just to use your earlier analogy
But this is certainly true of software programmes that I implement/advise upon. Non trading related but the same priniciples would definitely apply I would imagine

apologies: repeating alot of Jack O clubs who beat me to it

Last edited by a moderator:
frustrating really.
One of the pluses of MT4 is that the code is visible

Read legal agreement and you will find anything regarding adding, modifying and distributing changed content. Some programs do allow that but to a certain limit, others just protect themselves from illegal actions with their products. In forex I think only MT4 is available for changes but measurably.

Thanks for your replies.

I guess there are people who can but not easy to find.

Why not just buy one that gives you the all the code. One going for automated trading, full code, strength is the database structure. Can run about 80 stocks/instruments. Vector Language programming.

Any body want to share the cost I would be happy to discuss further. Price would be around 12k plust vat

Why not just buy one that gives you the all the code. One going for automated trading, full code, strength is the database structure. Can run about 80 stocks/instruments. Vector Language programming.

Any body want to share the cost I would be happy to discuss further. Price would be around 12k plust vat

Just kidding right ?