buying oil shares

SAMIAM

i want to buy oil shares. not shares in an oil company, but actual oil shares. is this possible?? i also want to buy gold. is there anyway i can do this??? any help appreciated.

You can buy oil ETFs listed in the US, ticker USO.

Same for gold - ticker GLD. You have other options with gold as it's possible to buy the actual commodity through a company like BullionVault.

can you recommend a good internet trading site that lets me buy and sell shares of stocks but also of commodities?? i am fairly new to this, i am not wanting to do anything complicated like margins. also can you recommend any good books so i can learn about how to value the economy of a country and how to predict economic upturns/downturns???

personally, I use xpresstrade for my commodities, and ameritrade for my stocks. I like xpresstrades features.
interactive brokers offers stocks and commodities but it didn't look very attractive to me. I judge books by the cover apparently.
In case you are new at this, there are expensive margin requirements in order to participate in contracts of gold and crude oil. A contract is what you can consider a share but much more leveraged.
I wouldn't suggest you buy commodities, but options on commodities. They lower your risk because you don't owe money if you make a bad trade decision, and it is just as leveraged, but no margin requirements. Commodities are only good if you plan on day trading, as you should never stay in a trade over night.
If you need anymore info, PM me. Or check out my site for some strategies