Bund and Gilt Traders

splasher

Anyone here actively trading Bunds or Gilts either intraday or swing?
Couldn't see any threads and was surprised that noone here was
Splash

Hi Splasher,

I toy with them but they just don't move like Forex so require different strategies.

Its something on my list to try and produce a working system for the Bund/Boble/TNote

I suspect some sort of fading strategy or very short term is in order rather than trying to pick a trend for a day.

Swing trading does look a real possibilty, again its on my to do list.

JonnyT

Hi Splash,

I have been trading Bunds for 3 years on an intraday basis.

Hi JonnyT,

your spot on not trying to get a trend to last all day on the Bund! On the other hand you (normally) get 2-3 opportunities to make money on the way up and down and back up again (or vice versa).

Its taken a while but I feel pretty comfortable with that market and its quirks.

Good to hear there are other bond tarders on here........i've pm'd you both to see if we can get a forum going on this....................

Me too, been doing Bunds but mainly Bobl for 4 years intraday, hoping to move to a longer time period now though, less stress ;)

Hi Minx,

As I am using geared funds I find being square at the end of the day very relaxing.

The US is the moving force and as they trade when we are all akip its a bit too nervy for me having to see what effect they make on the bund when it opens

Also I tend to trade till I have made my money which can happen in less than 5 minutes (though generally its a couple of hours) but overall the longer I watch the market the more I trade and more often than not its a less profitable exercise then hitting and running.

I am quite modest in my expectation. I look for about 10 tics and then I am out. The only thing is I have to wait for a level to hove into view so that my stop is no more than 3 tics and thats normally why I have to wait and be patient.

If I get it right, the move itself usually follows right after and I am done within 10-20 minutes.

Bonds on cbot

hey guys, im a member over here at the cbot, trade the bonds...usually scalping, making like 20-30 trades a day..
cheers

Nope, I started on the screen.. the floor is untenable unless you can handle 500lots and up..
Connect is great with the new T1 line...no outages..no price netting..some of the biggest players spoof, but nothing like the flipper (yet)..
cheers

Wha6t do you think of the bond market in general guys today?
Short squeeze still going on or a sustained move higher on the cards?

I think its a short squeeze..the big players probably just wanted to cover their shorts into the summer until sept..if it retraces much more than 50% of the downmove, im probably wrong.

Boring day on the 10 year Bund, keeps edging higher but with little conviction, looks to be running out of steam so I will short around 86/87( if it gets there!) but its probably too late in the day to get much of a move. Still it will be a tight stop so its worth a go.

Beginners problems...

wyndrum said:
Hi Splash,

I have been trading Bunds for 3 years on an intraday basis.

Hi JonnyT,

your spot on not trying to get a trend to last all day on the Bund! On the other hand you (normally) get 2-3 opportunities to make money on the way up and down and back up again (or vice versa).

Its taken a while but I feel pretty comfortable with that market and its quirks.

Hi Wyndrum,

I've just started to trade the Bunds intraday live after four months on a simulator. As a beginner I've had some trouble adjusting but feel things are moving in the right direction. However, over recent weeks I've found the goalposts have been moved in the form of this fella called Paul Rotter aka The Flipper. Just wondering if he's throwing the same problems at yourself and if you've any sound advice on how to trade while he's manipulating the Eurex markets.

Kind regards,

Simon.

you two get room..??

I trade the Bund in between this and that... coming from a currencies background i think it is the Fi contract that lends itself to similar trading strategies - before volumes evaporated, of course...

in terms of picking a trend for the day, I'd forget about it; but the first hour or two will usually tell you alot about the session ahead, IMO - that, with 30m charts, DOM, Eurostoxx in the morning and 10yr in the afternoon make them tradable.

hows it goin gecko,

Was curious about your opinion on the rally of the euro this week against usd, since you have come from a currency background. You reckon the pair is at fair value?

No, I think it's its absurd.

The EUR strength may well be due to the ECB making it clear for one and all that they don't intend to cut in Jan... on the whole, I think the only think keeping the EUR up here is the hot air that trichet routinely pipes into his own ar$e via a trumpet / brass instrument.

At some point, the hot air under his magic carpet is going to run out, at which point I would strap your tin hat on and wait for the fallout...

NB: This is all rather melodramatic for a serious question, but it's saturday night and I have consumed too much iron bru watching the strictly final.

NNB: Not that I give a sh!t anyway, all my trades are PA trades