Bulls = up; Bears = down. Why?

trendie

Legendary member
Totally pedantic question, but why is bullish representative of a rising market, and why is the term bearish linked to a declining market?

Is there some historical reason for using these particular animals?

Totally pedantic question, but why is bullish representative of a rising market, and why is the term bearish linked to a declining market?

Is there some historical reason for using these particular animals?

Bulls attack with their horns in an upward fashion.

Bears attack with their paws in a downward fashion.

And sheep, well, they just get slaughtered.

That's it simply put. Silly really but it caught on and has stuck.

Lee

see those two guys

Attachments

• beruang_lawan_banteng.jpg
    beruang_lawan_banteng.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,052
According to wiki

The terms "bull" and "bear" derive from the London Stock Exchange of the 17th century, which consisted of a bulletin board on which traders could post offers to buy (bulletins). So when there were lots of offers, the bulletin board would be full of offers, or "bulls", and when bare of offers, it would be a bare ("bear") market.

lol, I stand corrected by a specific in Wiki. dam you Shakone :) Although to be fair to me, it also does go on to say:

Etymology: down the bottom of the page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_trend

The fighting styles of both animals may have a major impact on the names.[15] When a bull fights it swipes its horns up; when a bear fights it swipes down on its opponents with its paws.

From the same wiki page:

The precise origin of the phrases "bull market" and "bear market" are obscure. The Oxford English Dictionary cites an 1891 use of the term "bull market". In French "bulle spéculative" refers to a speculative market bubble. The Online Etymology Dictionary relates the word "bull" to "inflate, swell", and dates its stock market connotation to 1714.

But hey ho, whatever fits really, I prefer the fighting one personally as it depicts perfectly the situation everyday within the markets. Its also recognised and displayed the world over. Put it this way, they don't display a bulletin board 'bare' or otherwise on Wall street. It would look a little odd I think.(y)

Have a good weekend.

Lee

What a coincidence! I literally just stumbled upon this cool quiz/infographic thing..

Basically you answer a few questions and it tells you what 'type' of trader you are! I think it's quite light-hearted so I wouldn't take what it says too seriously haha!

Check it out, I got Bear..
http://www.gomarkets.co.uk/

What about you?