Broker recomendations

wheezergeezer

368 8
Can anyone tell me what do the following recomendations mean,

Underweight, overweight,..........Fat broker?

overperform, underperform.........must try harder?

I can understand the buy of sell recomendation but can't figure out the rest.........thanks in advance

BBB

Experienced member
1,071 3
The 1st 2 regard an assets recommended weighting in portfolio composition. Eg underweight means dont have too many of these in your portfolio.

The last 2 are an indication/opinion of how an asset is performing against its peers.

frugi

1,827 126
Or the cynics view :D

Broker with no vested interest in the stock but who wishes to maintain a good relationship with the company in question -

Buy - flattering to company but really means hold
Hold = sell
Sell (rare as rocking horse faeces) = sell as fast as you can

Broker with vested interest -

Buy = virtually all the profit has been made in our holding of this stock but we'd like you to jack up the price a little more before we sell it all to you at the top.
Hold = we're holding this too and want to avoid any selling panics while also enjoying the opportunity to quietly accumulate more at a good price.
Sell = this is undervalued and we want to buy some cheaply

Meaningless or self evident -

Outperform or overweight = it has a higher beta than its index and we're in a bull market
Underperform or underweight = it has a lower beta than its index and we're in a bull market
(Reverse these two in a bear market)

mully

Established member
967 3
These institutional client terms stem from the need of IBs not to offend corporate clients. No corporate client, especially any prospective client likes to see a sell note. Underperform/underweight is felt less offensive.

That explains why you see so few outright sell recommendations. The target might one day be a potential corporate (read lucrative in fee terms) client
The most famous recommendation was the Cannot Recommend A Purchase applied to Maxwell in the 1990's.

wheezergeezer

368 8
Frugi and Mully, thank you both for the realistic , non Bulls**ite, version of recommendations, I do understand much better now,

Regards, wheezergeezer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock