Breakout Trading using Time and Sales

don't like the spread on YPF, so didn't take the short although it was on pretty good momo

+5 cents per share RPM reversal...nothing on the chart, just reading level 2 momo with buying pressure building...out too early though

didn't take the corresponding breakout on LEN as I couldn't get a good read on it...

+10 cents per share ECL reversal....played that on the 5-minute chart. After the steep fall, note how each candle had a higher high and a higher low...plus, the buying pressure on time and sales which was most likely a bunch of short covering.

+2 cents per share DY breakdown...got out far too early...its collapsing like a rock right now...really frustrating

As a trader, it's really difficult to give your trades wiggle room, especially after such a choppy morning and small profits. It's a decision between keeping your stops tight or allowing for bigger gains. That's exactly what happened on DY - I should have given it some wiggle room but got out on the first sign of strength. Turns out it was a pre-mature exit and then it took a nosedive down.

+10 cents per share ECL reversal trade....those who have taken Mr. Charts' course will know exactly where I went long (5-minute chart). The $60 level was support and I had a stop under there. Got out when it stopped going higher.

Going to call it a day. Summary:

DWA: +11 cents per share
RPM: +6 cents per share
LEN: -3 cents per share
ECL: +20 cents per share
DY: +2 cents per share

Hopefully the eurozone can quickly come up with a solution to Greece's financial woes. It seems like till then, the choppiness in the market will continue.

Good trading to all!

As a trader, it's really difficult to give your trades wiggle room, especially after such a choppy morning and small profits. It's a decision between keeping your stops tight or allowing for bigger gains. That's exactly what happened on DY - I should have given it some wiggle room but got out on the first sign of strength. Turns out it was a pre-mature exit and then it took a nosedive down.

I had a similar experience this afternoon with YPF. When price tested support I waited until I saw momo on L1/L2/T&S. Entry at 26.42 on crosshairs in attached image. My stop on this volatile stock was the ATR14 against, and when the stock whipsawed upwards I exited for a 10c loss.

Obviously my exit resulted in the price action then ticking downwards in what would have been a gain of just above 50c. :(

On reviewing this trade I would enter at the same point if I had my time again, however in higher ATR stocks with a wider spread my stop would be 1.5 times ATR (position sized accordingly) this giving me adequate wiggle room based on the recent price action.

Fascinating this trading business (y)

Aaron

Attachments

• YPF wiggled out.png
    YPF wiggled out.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 140
I had a similar experience this afternoon with YPF. When price tested support I waited until I saw momo on L1/L2/T&S. Entry at 26.42 on crosshairs in attached image. My stop on this volatile stock was the ATR14 against, and when the stock whipsawed upwards I exited for a 10c loss.

Obviously my exit resulted in the price action then ticking downwards in what would have been a gain of just above 50c. :(

On reviewing this trade I would enter at the same point if I had my time again, however in higher ATR stocks with a wider spread my stop would be 1.5 times ATR (position sized accordingly) this giving me adequate wiggle room based on the recent price action.

Fascinating this trading business (y)

Aaron

Personally, I don't use the ATR(14) as a stop. Either I get out when level2/t&s turns against me or if I get stopped out by the opposite end of the previous candle. The ATR is there to give me a quick indication as to the volatility of the stock and if I should trade it.

+13 cents per share SPPI breakdown to new lows...got out farrrr toooooooooo early!!

it dropped a good 50 cents just as I exited !!

+56 cents per share SPPI reversal

Nothing on the chart, just reading level 2/time and sales and seeing the selling stop and buying starting.
Not to bad of a start.
All position sizes are 1000 shares.

-9 cents per share GPRE...got in early on momo building before the breakout and then the bids just dropped and as I exited, I got a bad price....really stupid trade.