Breakout - 15 Minutes a day - 10-20 pips - Every day - 95% profitable trades

Hi,

I did your exact system on the EUR/USD data I just pulled from Metatrader - I did only a break of 3 pips or more and a target of 5 pips (8 pips greater than the break). It goes from 24/09/2001 to 23/09/2009.

There are 1973 trades and 168 of them are losses. That's about a 91.5% win rate.

But the thing is I just don't buy your 10 pip stop loss working and the win rate remaining, that assumes it reaches it's extreme high or low after the break, we need 5 minute data to test this properly.

Also, with with 5 pips and spread of say, 2 points that's 3 pips for you and 2 for the broker, a commission of 40% on your winnings.

Actually your take profit is not triggered until the price has been hit and reached a further few pips - the spread,so you don'y exactly "see" the commission eaten away by your broker but ofc it is there.

I am preparing some data for you.

EUR/USD 5 TP - 10 SL

13/7/2009: 5 pip profit
14/7/2009: -10 pip loss
15/7/2009: 5 pip profit
16/7/2009: 5 pip profit
17/7/2009: no profit - within previous day range
19/7/2009: 5 pip profit
21/7/2009: 5 pip profit
22/7/2009: 5 pip profit
23/7/2009: 5 pip profit

Total P/L: 25 pips

AUD/USD 5 TP - 15 SL

13/7/2009: 5 pips profit
14/7/2009: 5 pips profit
17/7/2009: within range no profit
20/7/2009: 5 pip profit
22/7/2009 -15 pip loss
23/7/2009: 5 pip gain

Total P/L : 25 pips

USD/JPY 5 TP - 15 SL

13/7/2009: 15 pips loss
14/7/2009: 5 pip profit
16/7/2009: within range no profit
17/7/2009: 5 pip profit

Total P/L: 25 pips

GBP/USD 5 TP - 15 SL

13/7/2009: 5 pip profit
14/7/2009: 5 pip profit
17/7/2009: 5 pip profit
19/7/2009: range
21/7/2009: range

Total P/L: 40 pips

Total P/L for all currency pairs: 115 pips

Some of the losses occured at major support/resistance points and although I would have filtered them when trading my own account,I have included them in the previous P/L calculations.

The data provider is FXCM and the bactesting was manual on their chart.

Last edited:
All very interesting! A simple strategy coupled with the use of discretion and a good psychology is a winning formula.

You definately have my interest and thank you for sharing what you've learnt. How long have you used this strategy during Live trading?

It would be a very good idea to code an EA, even if it doesn't use discretion. TP=5 and SL=10 this means that anything above a 75% win rate will create a profit. So even 86% will be an extremely welcoming ratio if it can be done automatically. You do not have the luxury of using discretion though.

I am going to start using this strategy live as soon as next week maybe. I am talking about using only 0.01 which means I can lose about 20 trades in a row and it would just about give me a drawdown of 0.5%. If it works I will steadily up the lot sizes until I feel comfortable with it.

One more question: If you are making as much money as you say you are, why don't you use a spread betting account which is tax free? You can still use MT4 for their free charting. IG even have 1 pip spreads and you won't face overnight charges because they trade isn't open for very long.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing this, do I understand it correctly, so buy at Previous day High+3 pips and sell at Previous day Low-3 pips? 5 pip target??
And how about the spread?

Hi,

I did your exact system on the EUR/USD data I just pulled from Metatrader - I did only a break of 3 pips or more and a target of 5 pips (8 pips greater than the break). It goes from 24/09/2001 to 23/09/2009.

There are 1973 trades and 168 of them are losses. That's about a 91.5% win rate.

But the thing is I just don't buy your 10 pip stop loss working and the win rate remaining, that assumes it reaches it's extreme high or low after the break, we need 5 minute data to test this properly.

Also, with with 5 pips and spread of say, 2 points that's 3 pips for you and 2 for the broker, a commission of 40% on your winnings.

Can you test this system using 10 pips for a profit?
This would give you a much more favorable r/r ratio and may make the system more profitable.

-Take Whichever Way Works-
Bruce Lee
Jeet Kon Do

This would give you a much more favorable r/r ratio and may make the system more profitable.

Bruce Lee
Jeet Kon Do

No probs, I'll try and test this system when I get the chance but using small candles (like 5 or 10 minute data) will take some time. I'm also going to paste up a properly tested long term trend following Forex system that I'm working on in the next 5 days or so once my website is up.

What happens on the weekends? My broker doesn't give a sunday night candle, do I use fridays candle?
Somebody mentioned IG Index too, they have a minimum sl of 15 pips on most forex pairs.

Last edited:

Bruce Lee
Jeet Kon Do

the risk to reward ratio means nothing when each trade you take has a negative expectancy.
You could perhaps modify the strategy with a 1:1 risk to reward -both at 10 or 15 pips and maybe due to the breakout have odds that are better than 50% to justify such a move.
Someone needs to do some serious back testing with a 1:1 and enlighten us,perhaps its more profitable :p

Has anyone tried to automate this strategy?

Yes,there is an EA available somewhere for a similar strategy that can be adopted in 2 mins to work as I've described.
This strategy is for lazy people but EA - that's just too lazy for reasons ive commented on before,it takes some discretion when it comes to major points of support and resistance,things that an EA can only partially take into account.

Garbanzo
Thanks for sharing this, some clarification please. If you have daily bar that trades within the range of the previous day, what high/low do you pick for the next day?

Garbanzo
Thanks for sharing this, some clarification please. If you have daily bar that trades within the range of the previous day, what high/low do you pick for the next day?

always the high/low of the previous day,so that includes the day that closed within the range of the previous day.

using small candles (like 5 or 10 minute data)

My concern is that the EA doesn't take into account that even in a 5 minute bull candle it could retrace well through the stop before achieving the target pips.

The only way to test such a system is by forward testing.

Have you got proof that you trade this live? i think your lieing by the fact you only have $8,000 and claim to trade 50 lots -

I just don't know your motives...

In case anyone is interested, I just tested this system very briefly. It's just under 90% accurate, not 95%. I put the daily data into MS Access and took the number of pips it went above the previous days high or the number of pips below the previous days low. Some days both the previous highs and lows were broken. Between 04/01/1999 and 27/10/2009 the GBP/USD broke the previous day's extremes 3030 times - in 399 of these cases it failed to go above or below the extreme by 10 pips or more. So I'd say it's about 86% right.

I'll attach the results in text. The Open, High, Low, Close, Previous High, Previous Low, Number of Pips above Previous High, Number of Pips below Previous Low.

Unfortunately, you can not back test this using daily data.
It doesn't tell you if you would have been stopped out before your profit target was hit.
You need 1 or 5 minute data to backtest this.

Therefore, the 90% win rate is actually much less because many times you will get stopped out first.
With a r/r of 1:2 it might not even be profitable going forward.
The only way to test this is going forward.

Garbanzo, have you tested this in real time?
If so, what are your results?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you can not back test this using daily data.
It doesn't tell you if you would have been stopped out before your profit target was hit.
You need 1 or 5 minute data to backtest this.

Therefore, the 90% win rate is actually much less because many times you will get stopped out first.
With a r/r of 1:2 it might not even be profitable going forward.
The only way to test this is going forward.

Garbanzo, have you tested this in real time?
If so, what are your results?

If you bothered to check to check the entire thread you'd see forward tested data.

Have you got proof that you trade this live? i think your lieing by the fact you only have $8,000 and claim to trade 50 lots -

I just don't know your motives...

50 lots is on a demo account,I don't have the capital for that sort of thing - yet.
I am maxed out on my 8k (and growing) though,7 lots usually in total spread over 4-5 pairs
as for me being a liar,I want your billions of dollars trading this strategy to move those currency pairs just enough to hit my 5 pip take profit and ill simply jump out at 4 pips.

I've modified this system slightly for testing and thought I'd share and post the results. If yesterday closed higher than the day before I'm only taking long trades. Vice versa for shorts. I'm testing using the GBP/USD.

The fields in the testing results are TheDate, Open, High, Low, Close, the Direction we're taking trades in, the Entry Target, the Stop Loss At, the Entry Time, the the target was hit, the time the stop loss was hit, a win flag and a loss flag.

When it breaks out by 3 pips I enter targeting 9 pips profit and have a stop loss of 24 pips.

In my test data there were 110 wins to 39 losses, but that's assuming that where the same five minute candles both hits the stop loss and the target we win.

I agree, forward testing is needed, but we need more data as the test data shows wins can continue for very long streaks. Please keep us posted Garbanzo.

Attachments

• Tested.txt
    18.4 KB · Views: 486
I've modified this system slightly for testing and thought I'd share and post the results. If yesterday closed higher than the day before I'm only taking long trades. Vice versa for shorts. I'm testing using the GBP/USD.

The fields in the testing results are TheDate, Open, High, Low, Close, the Direction we're taking trades in, the Entry Target, the Stop Loss At, the Entry Time, the the target was hit, the time the stop loss was hit, a win flag and a loss flag.

When it breaks out by 3 pips I enter targeting 9 pips profit and have a stop loss of 24 pips.

In my test data there were 110 wins to 39 losses, but that's assuming that where the same five minute candles both hits the stop loss and the target we win.

I agree, forward testing is needed, but we need more data as the test data shows wins can continue for very long streaks. Please keep us posted Garbanzo.

That is an interesting new twist to the system by trying to filter the trend.
The issue with this approach is that you can get trendless situations on the daily bars too,have a look,even in trendless situations you can get closes both up and down compared to the previous day.
This is just my point of view and I don't have hard data to back it up but I do believe you are losing out allot of profitable trades by doing this.
The more you increase the take profit the more you are trying to piggy back on a short term trend rather than the price momentum from an actual breakout.
You could,for example,get about 98% success if you could set a 1 pip take profit - but your broke won't really like it and you'd need massive amounts of capital to make it worth it.
I believe you are better off with manual filtering rather than a knee jerk reaction to the previous day's close.

Could you perhaps post your excel/access file for the rest of us?
We could use it as a template.

I'd really appreciate that.