Brandon Fredrickson's Random Rants and Market Ideas

Brandonf

I am very often asked what I think of the market here. Often I have an opinion, other times I do not. My current take is that the market might go higher, but if it doesnt it could go lower. If it does not do either of these things then we would be in for more sideways trade. PROFOUND!

So, seriously what do I think? I dunno that pretty much sums it up. The US markets have been trading in a sideways range for some time. This is a healthy thing for a market to do, nothing moves in a straight line. However, when the market is "home on the range" its not generally one that I will make a big profit in. There are always pockets of strength and weakness giving me a few trades, but there is not a ton right now. What does the sideways market do? Well on my personal account I was up 7% in the first week and a half of Febuary, right now I am up 2% because sideways markets whack me around.

Until we break either lower or higher my sizes will be small, around 25% of what I normally trade. Some names to look at include TRLG, CELG, BBC ( this one I found on John Anthoney's Trading Markets blog..the guy is sharp!, I love the work he does and his philosophy seems to line up very well with my own- looking for under owned, under watched names that once they are disovered by Wall Street have the potential to produce massive gains. I don't know John, but I would love too), GII etc. I am tempted to buy Homebuilders on the next pullback if they put in a higher low.

Brandon

Any reason my last post has been removed? It really bugs me, these people who if they are not trying to scam the naive, seem to live off of self publicity. The title of the thread says it all. An if the Mod's would rather have some self delusionists post, than mine, then I'll take my experience and views elsewhere...

CT

OK let me try again. Brandon. Nobody here knows you. Nobody cares. To start a pointless post with self publicising cr4p such as yours - just really pisses people off. Why not make an effort to try to get to know the boards, the people, the culture and the system before trying to preach, what is, I can only imagine a prelude to some sort of boiler room scam.

CityTrader said:
OK let me try again. Brandon. Nobody here knows you. Nobody cares. To start a pointless post with self publicising cr4p such as yours - just really pisses people off. Why not make an effort to try to get to know the boards, the people, the culture and the system before trying to preach, what is, I can only imagine a prelude to some sort of boiler room scam.

well said, paste it onto the other 3 or 4 such posts today, these guys are wasting everyones time. The mods should delete any such posts from anyone with say less than 50 posts. :eek: :eek:

CityTrader said:
The mod's seemed very quick to delete my " who the **** are you?" post!!!

only because of the expletive, ct.

cheers

jon

CityTrader said:

Sorry to have gotten your panties all up in a bunch. I guess I was mistaken to figure I would be known in the UK, but in the states I am. I have been interviewed several times on TV and Radio, the LA Times, USA Today, Trading Markets, in Active Trader magazine and been featured in SFO and have been a speaker at the major US Trading Expo's. I have done all of this without ever having hada book or PR firm by the way. I have been a very active poster on ET for several years and I manage a small but successful hedge fund for the last few years. I have also moderated one of the larger internet chatrooms for traders since 1999. At any rate, I am sorry to have (rather easily) offended you. Hopefully we can now stay on task.

This Brandon fellow is actually pretty famous in the USA.

I think we should give him a chance, guys.

If he can add trading value to this UK board, we must welcome him. The Americans can teach us a thing or two, in my opinion; they are the best traders in the world.

Welcome, Brandon!

I do not really daytrade too often, however we have had a very good run up today in the market and decent volume. The large thrust this morning has held well, so if we break out to a new HOD on the Nasdaq this would be buyable I suspect. I would then use a MOC to take profits or losses.

Brandon

Yesterday was a day that looked pretty nice. The S&P500 gained 4.69 points, closing at 1294.12. The Nasdaq Composite gained 20.15 points, it closed at 2307.18 and the Dow gained 35.70 points, it closed at 11097.55. Over the last several years the Midcaps and Smallcaps have been providing the major leadership in the market. The Russell 2000 closed at a new high at 740.63, gaining 4.04 points, the S&P400 (midcaps) gained 1.74 points and closed at 782.39. On an intraday basis the S&P500 traded at a new five year high, while the Russell closed at one. Volume came in at 1.78 billion shares on the Nasdaq and 2.00 billion on the NYSE. This was only slightly higher so I would not call yesterday an accumulation day. Another thing that concerns me is that the market was not able to add gains into the close. There was a huge upthrust in the indexes that started around 10am and moved all the indexes nicely higher. The market then marked time, trading in a sideways fashion the rest of the day. This was perfect action to setup another large move into the close as institutions got involved in the last 40 minutes or so of the day. This didnt happen though, in fact the market started to sell off in the last 30 minutes of the day and actually saw volume pace pick up as it did so. This is obviously not what I would have liked to have seen. For this reason I am still playing it pretty close to the vest on US Equities. Japan is super, India is super, and so is Brazil. Since last August I have had about half of my own funds and about 1/3 of my clients funds invested in these three markets.

As you are scanning the market for buying opportunities I would suggest you look at names trading under 300K shares a day. The best pockets of strength have been in names that do about 30k to 300k shares each day. I know that many people shy away from names that trade under 1 million or 500k shares a day, and it is exactly for this reason that they often offer such great opportunities. When I look at my trading journal I see that about 25% of my trades are in names that average under 120K shares per day but 62% of my profits are found in those. Just under 10% of my trades come in stocks that average 20-50K shares per day, yet these have accounted for nearly 30% of my profits in the last 4 years. Unfortunitly because of the low volume in these shares I am not often able to share them before the fact with you since I do not feel like having the SEC knocking on my door. At any rate, I would suggest you not neglect this area of the market as it can be very profitable, and technical analysis works very well in these names.

Leadership has started to show in retail, we had a nice breakout yesterday. I would focus there for buying opportunities, as well as in small and midcap biotechnology names. Transports of course are never going to have a down day again, it has evidently been decreed by God that they can not. I like the fact that Google has been able to pick itself up by the bootstraps here, it shows the fast money crowd is back in the game. Personally I see no reason to own Google anymore, I had it from the day after the IPO until early Dec. In early December it hit institutional ownership levels and attained a price to earnings ratio that caused me to no longer be interested in the stock for anything more than a trade lasting a few days. However even that would not be in the cards at this point, at least until we get something of a pullback. Should that occur on light volume then maybe we can go out and play with Google for a bit, but I do think there are better names out there. For those of you looking for specific names to keep an eye on here are a few on the buy side. TRLG (which continues to be my favorite long term play, I am currently long) OATS, BEN if it can pick up some volume and move higher and then pullback on light volume..if this breakout continues as it is on low volume it will be a very vulnerable stock so I would stay away. I am interested to see what the homebuilders do here over the next several days. Everyone seems to hate them right now but they are not acting as bad as it would seem they should, TOL is the leading name in that group. On the short side I still like the beamer (IBM) alot even if it has not returned the love back to me in the form of profits. Oil;s also look like they will be vulnerable to further downside. PDC has been one of the very weakest stocks in that group, I would not short it right here as it has gotten rather exdended on the downside- but should it rally on light volume that would provide a nice opportunity. Also notable in the oils are XOM, RIG, SUN. I bought AX on Weds and it continues to provide nice profits, I will now be looking for a light volume pullback in order to increase my size. An example of a light volume stock that could be providing opportunities for those willing to dable in that pond is GIII. It broke out on 800% of its average daily volume on Thursday and since then has traded in the top 1/3 of Thursdays range on lighter volume. Such a pattern is often a prelude to a continued move higher. I will be watching for a break above $16.50 to give me a buying opportunity. I do not currently have any shares of GIII. Should it setup this is one that has a great chart, but so so fundamentals. It might be a great turn around story so I will give it a chance, but it will be a small chance, GIII will get about 10% of what a typical stock will get out of me.

Trading the markets takes a lot of nerve. Decisions often need to be made quickly, and if one flinches, one may miss a significant price move, and divert a sound trading plan. Fear and anxiety often are at the root of hesitation. One may fear a loss, fear being wrong, or fear not having an opportunity to exit. The more a trader can control fear and anxiety, the more he or she can avoid the tendency to hesitate. A classic experiment on the study of emotion control provides a solution. One of the best ways to control fear and anxiety is to take an objective and analytic approach to interpreting events.

In the 1960s, Professor Richard Lazarus and colleagues elicited fear in a laboratory setting by showing participants films portraying various stressful situations. They called one of these films the "sub-incision film." In this film, an Australian Stone Age tribe demonstrated a primitive ritual in which crude surgical operations were performed on young men as a rite of passage. Participants watching the film knew these crude incisions were going to be made, but they didn't know exactly when. Physiological measures of fear, such as skin conductance, respiratory functions, and heart rate, were monitored as participants watched the film. As might be expected, levels of fear were highest at the point the incision was made. But fear was also very high while anticipating the fearful event. Anticipation of a stressful event is often associated with fear and anxiety. After the incision, fear immediately decreased. The vantage point that participants used to view the film exerted a powerful influence on emotional experience. By manipulating the soundtrack of the film, and coaching participants on how to cope with watching the incisions, researchers were able to help people manage their emotional reactions. One approach was to "intellectualize" the film. Participants tried to view the film as a scientific documentary in which one removes oneself from the ongoing process and tries to look at the events from a rational and impersonal perspective. A second approach was to try to "think positively." Subjects were told to focus on the positive aspects of the film. For example, the young men in the ritual looked forward to it, and were viewed as having a higher status in the tribe once the ritual was completed. Results showed that taking an objective and intellectual approach was much more effective at controlling emotions than trying to think positively and trying to ignore the negative aspects of the film.

This research study shows how taking an objective approach to trading can reduce fear, and in turn, reduce hesitation. Any way that you can objectify or intellectualize trades will improve your ability to control fear. For example, looking at trades as a percentage of increase or decrease in capital rather than dollar amounts can help greatly. Don't think of the value of the money, and what it can purchase. Look at it as merely objective percentage points of loss or gain. This will help you remain rational and calm. It will help you control your fear, and reduce your tendency to hesitate.

Before I take on a new money management client I have a policy of getting to know the person as well as possible. I do this because I have had some bad experiences in the past taking on new clients who did not know me well enough to be investing with me, and I did not know them well enough to make them a significant part of my life, which my money management clients become. Severa months ago I drove down to Naples and played 15 holes of golf with a potential client, it would have been 18 but I am truly as terrible at golf as Tiger Woods is good. This obviously is not the point of the particular thought I’m on, but it’s the background.When I was there I was truly inspired by the power of the human spirit, and by the realization of the incredible opportunity all of us have. I briefly met a man who, at age 17 was involved in a terrible farm accident that left with no right arm. This man grew up as a poor “farm boy” in the Midwest, and despite the physical and economic disadvantage’s, he rose to become the CEO of one of the largest Dow Components. He is also, with only one arm, a decent golfer. I met another man who grew up in poverty on a dairy farm, his wife was an orphan. He started out his life working in a packing house as a laborer. He and his wife decided that they wanted a better life for themselves and their children, and deciding that he started his own business selling provisions. He started this business with only $200 to his name and eventually sold it for over $50million. Both of these men are living breathing testaments to the absolute power of human determination. If you truly want something and believe with all of your heart you can get it, nothing will stop you.

What does this have to do with trading? Nearly everything! It has probably the hardest thing I have ever attempted to do in my life, and most people will fail. The odds are stacked against you from the very first time you place a trade, and the only way you are going to come out ahead is to be more determined than the next guy and outwork them. If you are hardworking, determined and have a bit of common sense though I think you will eventually get it. Im not the worlds smartest guy, I pulled C's and B's in school, but this is all I have ever wanted to do. I was very fortunate early on in that some very successful people could see my determination and they helped me more than I could ever pay them back for.

The next point is one that I know will upset some people. I am told all the time that “All of you damn Americans think you live in the best place in the world!” By the end of my golfing trip I no longer thought I lived in the greatest country on earth, I now know it to be absolutely and without a doubt true. I too grew up very poor. For many years I did not have a father and my mom was on public assistance. I spent a good deal of time angry and very envious of the rich kids born with the silver spoon in their mouths. But, I must confess that the more people I meet who have picked themselves up by the bootstraps and made incredible lives for themselves here despite their circumstances, the more I really believe that each and every one of us, simply by virtue of having been born American’s truly, we have all been born with the silver spoon. Sadly many people spend a great deal of time with their mouths open complaining about their circumstance and wanting a free ride, and then that spoon falls out of their mouth. Very sad, but in the vast majority of cases I really believe they have only themselves to blame. We live in a place that if you are passionate, ethical and determined there is no limit to what can be had.

Brandon

CityTrader said:
Like me grandmother used to say " be careful what you wish for...."

I suspect if you don't like what I have to say or do not find it useful you could just ignore me, am I missing something?

The popular idea among traders is that if I can just find the "right" system or pattern I will be profitable. Traders think the market is a battle that pits them against "the market" but in fact nothing could be further from the truth. Like so many things in life, in the market what it really comes down to is you. You are your own opposition.

If you look at the trading landscape there are thousands of ways to make money, maybe more. There are scores fo chart patterns you can use. Simple things like bullflags and bear flags form the basis of much of my trading approach. I have found they have the best Risk/Reward ratio of any pattern when traded correctly. I promise you though, people are going broke using bullflags and bear flags. I also love the "Oops" pattern. Over time I have found it to be my most accurate (highest % of winning trades) pattern, and it also gives out a very nice payout. You know what? People are going broke trading the "oops" setup as well.

Given the above, there are two conclussions you could arrive at. A) Nothing works and I might as well stop trading now, return this book for a refund and get about my life. Those who are successful at this are just lucky, statistics would dictate that some people will make money even if it is only via luck. or B) There is much more to trading than a simple mechanical method or setup. That what seperates the winners from the loosers has much less to do with with setups than the loosers think it does, and much more to do with "something else".

What is that "something else"? My take on it is that the something else is a mental edge, and that mental edge comes from the difference in the manner a winning trader looks at the market, as opposed to a loosing trader. I will use a pretty personell, non trading example here but it has everything in the world to do with trading.

I don't know how many of you get migraine headahces, but those who do know they are not any fun at all. What if you had one all the time, I mean 24/7 and it would not go away. Noting would make it better except for brief periods of time were strong narcotic medicines would give very temporary relief.

Several years ago I go pretty sick with a viral infection. For about 3 1/2 weeks I held a steady temp. between 101 and 105, and also during this time I had a very accute migraine, something like a 22 on the 1 to 10 pain scale. Eventually the fever and virus cleared up but the migraine did not. The theory being that because of the intense pain and high fever my pain receptors turned "on" and did not turn "off". So the end result of this is that every minute of every day I have a migraine. If I stop to think about the pain level, its at a pretty steady 6 unless I get a flair up.

I have been to most of the prominant (and some not so prominant) headache/pain doctors and clinics in the country. For the most part, after many tests they all come to the same conclussion which is, "Gee, it really sucks to be you" They can do some tests to figure that Im in pain, but they can not find anything medically to treat it.

For some time the only relief I got was from Morphine or Demerol IM or IV injections at the doctor. I was doing this fairly often because it was the only time I was not miserable. For some time the pain got to the point were I did not get out of bed at all unless it was to go to the doctor. I was in bed, in a dark room almost all day for about 9 months and was suicidal because of the pain.
If you were to talk to me about anything, it would only be my pain. That had become the central focus of my life. How bad it is, how bad I feel, and God damn it how bad you should feel for me. During this time I am continuing traditional medical treatment, trying to find the magic combo of medicines or whatever. Nothing was coming of it.
Finally I ended up at the Pain Managment Clinic run by the Mayo Clinic. It is a very intense 1 month program for people who are basiclly at the end of their rope. By the time you get there, it has been established that you are in a heck of a lot of pain, and that nothing medical science has to offer is going to work for you. By that time all the Biofeedback, Narcotics, Surgeries, Physical Theorpy, Dietary changes, Acupunture etc had been tried and failed. (Bullflags, Bearflags, Penenets, Triangles, Oops, Black Box Systems)
I of course went into the program hoping that they had the magic bullet. Some pill I could take, or surgery or anything they could come up with at all to make the pain go away. When I got there, I expected to find the very best Neurologists and Anestesiologists in the world. I was in for a big shock when I found that there was one staff physician ( a psyciatrist) and a resident, along with numerous clinical psychologists and nurses. But, there was not a single "Real" pain doctor.
When I got there I sat down with the Medical Director of the program, and the psychologist who had been assigned to me. We talked for a few hours about my headaches. What makes them better, what makes them worse. Do I notice any signals before they really flare up.Anything that can lead to a flare up? For me its certain smells, or not exercising enough, or exercising too much. Getting too much or not enough sleep (mostly too much), not eating enough and once I have them any sound or light is just horrible. So we went through that and I got into the program and met the group of people there.
A pleasant group of people, so they asked me: "How are you doing?". As per my routine I started to talk about how bad my headaches are and Jeez I hope they have the magic bullet here, but they did not let me get any further.
No they said, "HOW ARE YOU?"
So, I stumbled and thought for a bit, but I didn't have much so I went back to the tried and true, my headache. Again I was stopped, this time by a the nurse who ran the group meetings. She said "Brandon, are you simply a walking headache? How are YOU?
And I really did not know what to say, because for a long time that had been my life. I was a walking headache.
I was in the program for 3 1/2 weeks, and really the entire point of the program was to let a person know that, everything has been done to try to ease your pain (every setup tried, every chatroom a member of, every seminar attended for the traders out there) Every medical treatment that everyone knows about, and every one that very few people know about too. Its all "been there, done that", and the end result had been the same. Nothing, I was exactly were I was when I started. That is, I was bedridden, in terrible pain, miserable and suicidal. But their program focused on taking the control of your mind back..you don't have control of the pain, but you do have control of you (you cant control the market, you can control you response to it)
During the time I was there, I fought the program almost the entire time. It was not at all what I wanted to hear. I was miserable, I had a god damn headache and they would not let me take my fleeping medicine. But, in the last week, and after I left, the program started to sink in and its had a major effect on my life.
The pain is still there, in fact over the last year and half it has gotten more intense, and it still becomes overwhelming from time to time and I have to take morphine for relief. But that is not what is important, what is important is the fact that I get by. Nothing has substantially changed with the headaches, but what has changed is more important anyway. What did change is how I associate myself and what goes on around me. Instead of trying to have control over the headache, which is not possible, I now realize I do have control over myself. Much like a trade, which I have no control over, but I can control myself.
Most traders screw themselves over in the way they relate to themselves in the market. And how is it that they relate themselves to the markets. Money and being "right". When they are positive, and more traders are winners than loosers they are doing wonderful thank you very much. When they have taken some stops and are down everything sucks, screw you and leave me alone. So, the only way they have to relate to themselves in the market is by the amount of money they are making or loosing, the number of trades they are right on vs wrong on. Good or bad is defined by, how much did I make/loose? If the trade made money, it was a good trade, if it did not it was a bad one. If you make money today, it was a good day, if not, its a bad day.
Good Trade = One I made money on
Bad Trade = One I was stopped out on.
Good Day = One that was profitable
Bad Day = One that was not profitable
But looking at it in this manner tends to lead to larger and more frequent losses. A better way to look at this is to say, did I have a valid plan and follow it? If yes, good, if no bad. A bad trade is one that you did not follow your plan on, regardless of the outcome. A good trade is one you followed a valid plan on, regardless of outcome. This of cours is not how most traders CHOOSE to look at things.
Most traders try to read all the books out there about patterns and setups, but in the end, if they associate things in a screwed up way, they will get screwed up results. Nothing will ever matter if the association is wrong. Nothing will help you. Its not easy, its probably one of the hardest things you will do. It wont seem natural. It will seem like exactly what it is...very forced (like getting up and trading even though I have a headache and I want to die if I think about it too much)...but slowly, it will come around. Look at trades in the context of an overall plan and I think traders will have better results.

Brandon

Brandonf said:
I suspect if you don't like what I have to say or do not find it useful you could just ignore me, am I missing something?

Yeah, I could. There again, I could sit here wondering why you are using so much bandwidth. Or if there's any motive behind your seemingly altruistic actions? There again, perhaps distrust and suspicion are, now hard wired into my make uo, as that's the way I have approached trading for the last 30 years. But, hey what do I know?

CityTrader said:
Yeah, I could. There again, I could sit here wondering why you are using so much bandwidth. Or if there's any motive behind your seemingly altruistic actions? There again, perhaps distrust and suspicion are, now hard wired into my make uo, as that's the way I have approached trading for the last 30 years. But, hey what do I know?

I will save you from having to think and wonder so much and tell you that my goals are not totally altruistic. I have gotten nearly all of my money managment clients from people who have become familiar with me via message boards, and it turns out making money for other people is a good way to make some yourself. I have a good business going that and I am only paid on incentive. It allows me to live with in walking distance of the Gulf of Mexico at a nice country club in Florida. I also have a chatroom that has about 30 members who pay $200 a month, and message boards probably account for about 3/4 of the people I have there, however as of April 1st we will no longer be charging for the room, so that is not the motive for me being here.

I met the people who run t2w at the daytrading expo in NY and they seemed like good guys. I am here to add content to the board and also get some exposure for myself in a place (Europe) where I am relatively unknown. I do enjoy helping others, so that is a large part of the reason I am here, but certainly not the only one.

At any rate I do not want this to turn into a pissing contest, so hopefully we can just ignore each other. I have said what I want to say, and suspect you have gotten to say your bit as well. Hopefully if people want to read what I have to say they can, and if they dont they wont. It would be nice if this does not turn into a mud slinging contest as it often does in other places.

Looks like my caution was well placed and it saved me a good bit. Unfortunatly I was not really aggressive in getting short..but you cant get it all. I am happy not to be getting run over by the train right now.

The key to success as a trader is to get yourself into a routine. Boring, predictable. The same stuff over and over again. Once all the hype is gone, trading is a job and the only way to be successful is to treat it like a serious business. We are our own bosses, and we have to be the biggest assholes that we have ever been employed by or success will be fleeting if it is seen at all.

Because there is a ton of money on the line, and race, sex or family background will have nothing to do with making it tends to attract the brightest and most motivated people in the world. Great traders are in a word, hungry. All of these people are after the same money you are I are trying to make. So, prep work is key. In the following paragraphs I will show you what I do to prepare for the following day.

Market Analysis
The very first thing I do is look at the most popular cash indexes. (Dow Industrials, Transports, Utilities, SP500, SP400, Russell 2000, Biotech, Semiconductors etc) I also look at some key market statistics such as the VIX, 5 day and 10 day moving average of the TRIN, high and low of day for the TICKs, Volume, Advance vs. Decliners etc. This helps to give me a good idea of where the market sits. I also note any sectors that are producing setups.

Futures

Next I look at the four key futures contracts that I feel are important in moving the market. The CBOT's Dow (/YM) and 30 Year Bond (/US) and the CME's SP500 (/SP) and Nasdaq100 (/ND). I look at daily and longer term intraday timeframes to note key area's of support and resistance. This gives me a good idea of what price levels to be aware of the following day. The market analysis and futures analysis takes about 40 to 60 minutes.

Individual Stocks
I feel that it is very important for a trader to get a good look at the top stocks each and every day. This is true whether you trade stocks or futures for a living. I can not recall how many times I have gotten key insights just by scanning the various components of the SP500, Nasdaq100 and the top 200 volume stocks of the day. I look for classical setups such as pullbacks, breakouts, head and shoulders, flags, double tops and bottoms etc. The 90 or so minutes I spend each night on this has made and saved me more money then I care to count. Next I go back to my sector list. As you will recall I write down the sectors which themselves are producing good setups. What I will now do is go and look at each of the stocks in this group and analyze them for a trade. I look for setups and relative strength. This takes between 10 and 60 minutes depending on how many sectors are setting up.

Setups:
I next look at the various setups and scans that are programmed into tradingscans. I start off looking at the uptrending and downtrending stocks. As when I look at the database in the large indexes I am looking for classical patterns that can key me in to the next big move. All of this takes another 90 to 120 minutes.

When my analysis is done I tend to have a large number of stocks written down on a piece of paper to look at further (sometimes up to 50). I try to get this down to a manageable number (15/20) by looking deeper at these stocks. I will go over the weekly and key intraday timeframes to clue me in as to which ones might be offer the best opportunities. Finally, I look at my list from the prior day and see if there where any large movers on it that did not make it to my final list. When this occurs I will go back and study this chart to see if there is anything I missed would have had me putting this stock on the final list. I always have learned more by my mistakes then triumphs, so don't cheat yourself by avoiding this critical phase of your nightly study. This final sporting takes another 30 to 45 minutes.

All told I spend 4 to 6 hours each night market analysis. This is in line with all the most successful traders I know. Trading is a lot of time and a lot of work. It is something that you must have a passion for in order to continue on. I think it's also important to realize that your real work is done at night. Most traders make the mistake of thinking they work between 9:30AM and 4:00PM. This is like saying a professional football player works for 60 minutes on Sunday. That is ridiculous, the 60 minutes on Sunday is the commutation of years of hard work and practice. Sunday is when he gets to put it all together, let loose and play. If your trading is to be successful, that is how 9:30 to 4:00 has to be.
This covers the technical analysis portion of what I do. I got my start as a daytrader buying breakouts and whatnot, so I am very comfortable with charts. Once all of this technical analysis has gotten me a list of STOCKS I then look at the fundamentals of the COMPANY. This helps to determine if a stock will be kept longer term or shorter term, how much risk I am going to be willing to take on it among other things.

The market continues to be pretty spastic, red bar/green bar type action..not the best for my bottom line. However as I scan there are a lot of names on both sides of the marke that stand out as worth watching.

Longs include: nsm, trid, brcm, joyg, cost, akam, utx, bni, form, csco

shorts include ibm, mo, ebay, yhoo, amzn

Brandon