Books that inspired

K21000

Looking to get a better knowledge off stock mArket, wondering if anyone has any recommendation for books. That inspired them
Cheers
Skinny mac

The market wizards books are ok I found there where 3 or 4 traders interviewed in those books who I immediately emphaphised with and gave me the confidence I was thinking along the right lines

Reminiscences of a stock operator is a must read. In fact I think I'll read it again today.

I like talebs books, 99% probably won't but' his books where probably the most inspiring for me. Drunkards Walk is another reasonable read for apprentice "******s"

Looking to get a better knowledge off stock mArket, wondering if anyone has any recommendation for books. That inspired them
Cheers
Skinny mac

Duplessis, the definitive guide to Point and Figure

Personally - duncan bannatyne - anyone can do it.
Although got pretty much SFA to do with trading...
Although of all the dragons, Richard Farleighs is the only one
directly related to trading.

I'd also say wizards books as well.
Thin on detail and specifics, yes, but then no book is going to
tell you exactly how to trade.
They are more a broad outline demonstrating common underlying principles
along with the different approach of each trader featured.

Cheers
Skinny mac

Market Wizards and Reminiscences of a Stock Operator have already been mentioned a couple of times and rightly so. Another one I liked was Fooled by Randomness. It doesn't teach trading techniques per se, but it highlighted for me the importance of thinking in terms of probabilities.

Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques by Steve Nisson was another one I found helpful back in the day. Nowaways, you can find most of that info on the web, but Nisson was the original guy to bring it to the west, and I think he has a very clear way of explaining things.

Also, it's not a book, but I think the essays of Ray Dalio on his hedge fund's website provide a great intro for someone getting into trading.

Another one I liked was Fooled by Randomness. It doesn't teach trading techniques per se, but it highlighted for me the importance of thinking in terms of probabilities.

(y)

It's probably the most accessible of Talebs books, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Reminiscences of a stock operator (the original illustrated edition is best)

How to trade in stocks

The art of contrary thinking

Fooled by randomness (Black Swan is good too)

Antifragile

Popular delusions and the madness of crowds

The first four were the most influential...I have a copy of reminiscences perpetually open on my laptop.

Trading in the zone. All good and teaches import lessons about the mentality of sucessfull traders.

But as a read its rather dull.

1)Diary of a Professional Commodity Trader by Peter Brandt

2)The Signal and The Noise (its about Bayes Probabilities) by Nate Silver

3) Just bought Inside the Currency Market by Brian Twomey

"Reminiscences of a Stock Operator" is one of the best books that has ever been written on stock trading. The Market Wizards trilogy is good - particularly the last one "Stock Market Wizards" which focuses on stock traders in particular. For some reason not as much mention is ever made of this as the first two.

I don't know this dude but he didn't predict anything. Probability is not prediction, especially in the context of a single outcome. The more improbable ended up occurring (assuming his probabilities were correct) this time, but if he bet the same way for the next 100 years would he still lose?

No journalist on the planet understands the difference between prediction and probability.

Last edited:
I don't know this dude but he didn't predict anything. Probability is not prediction, especially in the context of a single outcome. The more improbable ended up occurring (assuming his probabilities were correct) this time, but if he bet the same way for the next 100 years would he still lose?

Nate Silver was in the US news a lot during the recent presidential election because his methods accurately predicted the results for all 50 states. I was interested in his story, because of his poker background: Nate Silver and his five life lessons learnt from poker | News.com.au

No journalist on the planet understands the difference between prediction and probability.

Great point, but I would extend this to most people, not just journalists. I think a poor understanding of probability is one of the main reasons some traders never make the leap to long term profitability. They develop bad habits (like overleveraging or martingaling) that lead to profitable trades in the short term, but which if repeated often enough will eventually lead to ruin.