BoE Asset Purchase and Interest Rate Non-News

Purple Brain

Experienced member
1,613 179
Carney has said GBP interest rates will not be even reviewed until unemployment drops to 7% which could take as much as 3 years. There are caveats and exceptional conditions under which he has said this would be overridden, but none of those factors currently apply.

So why when there was virtually no chance of any change to interest rates and the APF data came in bang on target, did GBP strengthen appreciably? It looks like it'll show as a spike when the dust settles, but even so, when expectations are so clearly set and met - why the surge?

Martinghoul

2,690 276
Because the market is pricing future changes to interest rates, rather than what's currently the case. For instance, can you be quite certain that the 7% unemployment rate cannot be attained in 2yrs? How about 1yr?

Purple Brain

Experienced member
1,613 179
Because the market is pricing future changes to interest rates, rather than what's currently the case. For instance, can you be quite certain that the 7% unemployment rate cannot be attained in 2yrs? How about 1yr?
How can the expectations of future changes be impacted by no change in the present levels and especially when there was not expected to be any change to current levels?

If pricing futures I could understand spikes or changes in the prices of futures contracts, but spot?

I appreciate this is probably way over the top of my head.

Purple Brain

Experienced member
1,613 179
The GBP move appears to have been a spike which would suggest whatever moved the market was extremenly temporary as it has almost returned to pre-data release levels on GBP across all other majors. If it were a re-pricing on futures or whatever, surely it would have stayed at those levels?

Does anyone in the business believe there is any truth in the oft-quoted rumour that institutions use these data events to trigger customers' orders in order to earn the spread? Are they able, either independently or in concert, to put that much weight into a market to shift the price through areas where the majority of their customers limit orders sit?

L

Liquid validity

0 0
The GBP move appears to have been a spike which would suggest whatever moved the market was extremenly temporary as it has almost returned to pre-data release levels on GBP across all other majors. If it were a re-pricing on futures or whatever, surely it would have stayed at those levels?

Does anyone in the business believe there is any truth in the oft-quoted rumour that institutions use these data events to trigger customers' orders in order to earn the spread? Are they able, either independently or in concert, to put that much weight into a market to shift the price through areas where the majority of their customers limit orders sit?

Release was at 12, 15620 ish, now at 15650?
Are you getting mixed up with 1245 ECB min bid rate?

L

Liquid validity

0 0
Eu looks like its possibly found support @ daily low.
See if it holds...

Purple Brain

Experienced member
1,613 179
Release was at 12, 15620 ish, now at 15650?
Are you getting mixed up with 1245 ECB min bid rate?

With the exception of usd and cad, gbp has come back since the 12:00 BST BoE data to lower levels against all the other majors than before that data was released. I appreciate it can make 40-50 pip moves like that on any day for no obvious reason, but I wondered if the scheduled data release events were commission generating opportunities for the institutional players rather than genuine responses to changes in the fundamentals of the countries' economies or currencies.

L

Liquid validity

0 0
test of yesterday low at 40?

L

Liquid validity

0 0
With the exception of usd and cad, gbp has come back since the 12:00 BST BoE data to lower levels against all the other majors than before that data was released. I appreciate it can make 40-50 pip moves like that on any day for no obvious reason, but I wondered if the scheduled data release events were commission generating opportunities for the institutional players rather than genuine responses to changes in the fundamentals of the countries' economies or currencies.
The EU is leading it now.
Cause of ECB conference

Purple Brain

Experienced member
1,613 179
I'm finding it impossible to trade. Any of them. Horrible. GBP is the only one that could provide potential longs if it starts to lift. Trouble is I'm mentally done by this stage and more likely to discount any further signals anyway.

L

Liquid validity

0 0
BTW, I know this thread is GU and BOE, I'm watching EU in case you were
scratching your head going wtf?

Martinghoul

2,690 276
How can the expectations of future changes be impacted by no change in the present levels and especially when there was not expected to be any change to current levels?

If pricing futures I could understand spikes or changes in the prices of futures contracts, but spot?

I appreciate this is probably way over the top of my head.
Well, there's a certain logic at work here. Firstly, spot is affected by the market's expectations of future carry. This carry is affected by the expectations of where interest rates will be in the future. So what you have observed this morning was a move in spot that was driven by the repricing of future interest rates (as manifested by the move in short sterling futures). It's really as simple as that.

Reactions: Liquid validity

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock