Bob Volman Price Action Scalping

70 Ticks or 5 minutes

Hi everyone. I'm Alfons and enjoy reading your posts.

I'm practising Bob's method several months ago and it's really interesting. I'm using 70 ticks charts and 5 minutes charts, as he teaches on both. I would like to ask the ones who tried both charts, what do you think is easier to trade? I have the feeling 70 ticks are easier to analyse and fullfills better the requirements of this method. Am I right?

Thanks!
Alfons.

Hi everyone. I'm Alfons and enjoy reading your posts.

I'm practising Bob's method several months ago and it's really interesting. I'm using 70 ticks charts and 5 minutes charts, as he teaches on both. I would like to ask the ones who tried both charts, what do you think is easier to trade? I have the feeling 70 ticks are easier to analyse and fullfills better the requirements of this method. Am I right?

Thanks!
Alfons.

Hi Alfons!
It´s not about how other plp want to trade or what they believe, it is how YOU want to do it... Find the way/timeframe you feel comfortable and try to stay in that zone!(y)
For me, 70tick is way too fast, i dont have enought time to think( i read charts much more closer than orginal Volman strategies)! 5min is great chart for me, and if i like to scalp, ill drop to 520tick!

Green pips for everyone and have a nice weekend!:love:

Has anybody recently tried using MT4 to get it to have ticks as an option? From what I've read it is quite a challenge to set it up and then you have to leave your computer running all the time otherwise the tick history needs to be fully refreshed every time you start up MT4.

There must be an easier way to get a platform that has a tick chart feed. Any suggestions?

just go to OVO.CZ
seamless tick charts try the demo, he also has a downgrade option foor 4 digit which was added for the Volman method I am not affiliated but found the owner most helpfull. :)
Pho
No waiting around just set the number of bars required

https://ovo.cz/products/offline-charts-for-mt4/constant-volume-bars/

Tick, volume, range, renko... It really doesn´t matter what kind of chart you´re trading folks! It´s all the same!! There is NOTHING magical in 70tick chart! If you prefer to trade via it, its ok! But looking for a platform or broker who is going to make you rich with this strategy, you´re looking a wrong thing...

Attachments

• EURUSD Weekly.png
    EURUSD Weekly.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 628
Tick, volume, range, renko... It really doesn´t matter what kind of chart you´re trading folks! It´s all the same!! There is NOTHING magical in 70tick chart! If you prefer to trade via it, its ok! But looking for a platform or broker who is going to make you rich with this strategy, you´re looking a wrong thing...

Broker easy AUS or now in the UK (if your USA it maybe more difficult)
EURUSD on Pepperstone 0.0-0.3 except in news hour, very suitable for the Volman system, and if you believe its not possible then your missing, you just need a simple partial close like that supplied by Cristina Lee and watch the setup.
enjoy
Pho

Broker easy AUS or now in the UK (if your USA it maybe more difficult)
EURUSD on Pepperstone 0.0-0.3 except in news hour, very suitable for the Volman system, and if you believe its not possible then your missing, you just need a simple partial close like that supplied by Cristina Lee and watch the setup.
enjoy
Pho

Is your point about tick charts, spread or Volman's set up?

Is your point about tick charts, spread or Volman's set up?

All 3 as they are all required for tight 10 pip scalping.
I mentioned 4 digit ticks for Mt4 , tight spreads with an affordable broker, and the forum is titled Volman, for success All 3 are required, also MT4 spot currencies can be opened with smaller deposits than say a ninjatrader broker and the platform is free.
Happy pips
Pho
As for the 70 tick setups they would not show on htf or renko etc, they also can be difficult to spot efficiently when pipettes (5 digits) are present, the 5 minute trading strategy has different requirements.

All 3 as they are all required for tight 10 pip scalping.
I mentioned 4 digit ticks for Mt4 , tight spreads with an affordable broker, and the forum is titled Volman, for success All 3 are required, also MT4 spot currencies can be opened with smaller deposits than say a ninjatrader broker and the platform is free.
Happy pips
Pho
As for the 70 tick setups they would not show on htf or renko etc, they also can be difficult to spot efficiently when pipettes (5 digits) are present, the 5 minute trading strategy has different requirements.

It appears by your comments that you have found success in using 70 tick charts to scalp EURUSD using Volman's setup. Why don't you share some of your screen shot trades to demonstrate how it is done?

Hey Guys

Looks like this forum is not active, any one still using bob's method. i came across book recently. finding it a good read but have not used it yet.. Hope to get some interaction here

Hey Guys

Looks like this forum is not active, anyone still using bob's method. i came across the book recently. finding it a good read but have not used it yet.. Hope to get some interaction here

I'm currently trying to use this strategy at the moment, my backtesting of this strategy showed that this is very promising however having now only started using it at a time where volatility is quite low around this time of the year I feel like I am watching paint dry but hopefully things will intensify soon

I will be posting my weekly results using the strategy on here, and if anyone wants to talk about it just shoot

This week: -18 pips

Hopefully next week starts to pick up once volatility levels go back to normal

I will be posting my weekly results using the strategy on here, and if anyone wants to talk about it just shoot

This week: -18 pips

Hopefully next week starts to pick up once volatility levels go back to normal

I have read Bob's book but not actually traded the setups from the book primarily because the approach uses 70 tick charts. My trade platform doesn't have that facility.

I would be interested in your experience if you can share trade screens on the trades that you have taken. Sharing your aggregate pip result unfortunately doesn't facilitate any conversation regarding the approach itself.

I have tried to work on scalping with demo account but I think scalping is not for me. Any suggestion for good scalping?

Scalping is very difficult without knowing "how to" because of the time cycle, the mental discipline needed and the intensity that goes with it. Bob Volman's method uses 70 tick chart which approximate to a 30 sec time frame. The best book written IMO on scalping is by Lance Beggs which uses a 1 tick range that approximates to a 9 sec time frame. It is because the time cycles are so compressed, the trade decision process requires a set of conditions that are different from a higher time frame trading. For example, at the scalping level entries are about areas not triggers. In other words, trade decision is taken absent confirmation which can be uncomfortable for those that are used to trade confirmation for entry. Another example is that the chart has to be relatively clean because information overload tends to slow down decision making. As such a visual approach dominates.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I specially register an account for this thread. Happy to know so many like minded people. I am starting to trade based on Bob Volman's methods and have read through a lot of your posts. It has been amazingly helpful. I will start to post some of my own contributions too soon.

Capture.png

Just capture a wonderful IRB for a profit of $300 for the day with 3 wins and 3 losses. Quite a good day.

Trade 1: -$33.00
Trade 2: +$133.39
Trade 3: -$11.88
Trade 4: -$50.18
Trade 5: +$132.02

Total: $302.34

Hope I can continue to improve and profit everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scalping is very difficult without knowing "how to" because of the time cycle, the mental discipline needed and the intensity that goes with it. Bob Volman's method uses 70 tick chart which approximate to a 30 sec time frame. The best book written IMO on scalping is by Lance Beggs which uses a 1 tick range that approximates to a 9 sec time frame. It is because the time cycles are so compressed, the trade decision process requires a set of conditions that are different from a higher time frame trading. For example, at the scalping level entries are about areas not triggers. In other words, trade decision is taken absent confirmation which can be uncomfortable for those that are used to trade confirmation for entry. Another example is that the chart has to be relatively clean because information overload tends to slow down decision making. As such a visual approach dominates.

Great insights Brumby thank you.

I left the scalping thing since its a bit hard to get proper work station. I now trade 5min. I understood Scalping is a next level trading. Because its faster and you need to have true mindset on that faster chart. Its easier to remain "zone" mindset on slower timeframes. Of course anyone can be succesful in scalping his first try but I believe it is easier to first be succesful and consistent on higher ones maybe then start scalping.

Hi all - is this thread dead, or just temporarily dormant? Would be great to connect with other traders who are using Volman's FX scalping approach.

I just spent the last week trying out Volman's setups, and I'm up 30 pips despite a lot of stumbling around. I'm pretty excited about going forward with it. I posted charts of my first few trades in the Volman thread at forexfactory, but no responses yet. So I figured I'd give it a try here to see if there's any interest.