Bob Volman Price Action Scalping

200 tick charts fit my personality best. It gives me time to think and react while 70 tick is too fast for me. 200 tick charts are more similar to 70 tick charts in that they both have similar *initial* reward/risk ratio (about 1:1) unlike 5 min which is 2:1. I believe a lot of the 70 tick techniques can be used on 200 tick as well. One thing I just found out is when BLS posted Bob's 70 tick charts, all previous week's 200 ticks from PRT are still there, so one can scroll back and compare with Bob's 70 tick entries (70 tick charts only exit for two days).

You can view more than 2 days of 70 tick charts with PRT. Just set the units to 10,000. It will give you about a week of data.

Koala88, I am not discouraging anyone from studying Bob's 5 min charts. On the contrary I think they are very useful. Have you read TonyIommich's post a few pages back? He counted the number of setups in each session (London, NY) from March 2012 to August 2012 in Bob's new book. There were too few. However, as Tony pointed out, these charts are great and they offer a unique opportunity to learn Bob's method. I just started reading the chapter of the 6 month charts. I first simulate a day's trading in ForexTester and see if I can find any entry. After that I go to the book and find out what Bob says. I believe after I finish this exercise I will learn a lot.

200 tick charts fit my personality best. It gives me time to think and react while 70 tick is too fast for me. 200 tick charts are more similar to 70 tick charts in that they both have similar *initial* reward/risk ratio (about 1:1) unlike 5 min which is 2:1. I believe a lot of the 70 tick techniques can be used on 200 tick as well. One thing I just found out is when BLS posted Bob's 70 tick charts, all previous week's 200 ticks from PRT are still there, so one can scroll back and compare with Bob's 70 tick entries (70 tick charts only exit for two days).

I have done similar statistics for Bob's 70 tick chart entries. On average there are 1 entry during London morning and 1 entry during US morning for EURUSD (per day). So there will be fewer than that for 200 tick charts. I hope that with three pairs I can get 5~7 good entries on average during US mornings per week.

Happy trading.

Cha-Ching, Bob's method of trading is great. I need to learn more how to apply his teaching into the right chart, may be with more other instruments to get more trades ( at least 2-3 trades a day). With your comment, it really helps me to the area where I should focus on. Thanks again, also to other members who give their inputs....

simple notes from Bob's 17.jpg, a few good scalps per week is all a trader needs to get by.. thanks.

September-21-2011-22-10-39-tumblrlf9zhqA7ng1qzex9i.jpeg

I REFUSE! I demand to carve out the ENTIRE TURKEY! Lol...

Just an update, I've been working hard on getting Bob's patterns to fit the stock index futures, with my work focusing on the ES on a 5 minute time frame. I find that it's quite possible to apply concepts like the pattern break back into the range and IRB to the ES as it is often a very mean reverting instrument, and the ES loves to back and fill like the Euro (though it trends less than the Euro, and when it does it usually trends more violently with less buildup so you have to be more aggressive). As opposed to round numbers, the prior day's close is an extremely important level and magnet, you'll see it being tested repeatedly on range days. Prior day highs and lows are also important, and the open may come in to play a role, but nothing is a bigger magnet than the close.

It will take you a while to adjust your eyes, though, so look at plenty of charts (so far I've worked through 500 charts).

The one thing I do notice is that most of the time his patterns are best applied after the first two hours of trading. If you want to trade the opening two hours, either include Globex info and use tick charts, or drop to a lower time frame like the 1 or 2 minute and use the opening 30 minute range as a guide of sorts.

September-21-2011-22-10-39-tumblrlf9zhqA7ng1qzex9i.jpeg

I REFUSE! I demand to carve out the ENTIRE TURKEY! Lol...

Just an update, I've been working hard on getting Bob's patterns to fit the stock index futures, with my work focusing on the ES on a 5 minute time frame. I find that it's quite possible to apply concepts like the pattern break back into the range and IRB to the ES as it is often a very mean reverting instrument, and the ES loves to back and fill like the Euro (though it trends less than the Euro, and when it does it usually trends more violently with less buildup so you have to be more aggressive). As opposed to round numbers, the prior day's close is an extremely important level and magnet, you'll see it being tested repeatedly on range days. Prior day highs and lows are also important, and the open may come in to play a role, but nothing is a bigger magnet than the close.

It will take you a while to adjust your eyes, though, so look at plenty of charts (so far I've worked through 500 charts).

The one thing I do notice is that most of the time his patterns are best applied after the first two hours of trading. If you want to trade the opening two hours, either include Globex info and use tick charts, or drop to a lower time frame like the 1 or 2 minute and use the opening 30 minute range as a guide of sorts.

Tony - seeing the turkey. it makes me hungry for a feast. :D I will study your ingredients with Bob's method and keep away from any news announcement. Thanks for the tips...

ProRealTime,

Does anyone here using PRT know how to extend the rectangle drawing tool to beyond the last or current tick? Would be great to be able to extend the box beyond the current price.

thanks
Jim

ProRealTime,

Does anyone here using PRT know how to extend the rectangle drawing tool to beyond the last or current tick? Would be great to be able to extend the box beyond the current price.

thanks
Jim

You can't do it on a tick chart, only time frame charts. You have to use 2 individual lines if you want to create an upper and lower boundary.

AUDUSD trade today

This is a very nice thread. Of course this is an excellent trading method as well (not easy though). The charts by Bob Volman are extremely useful, thanks for creating those. Thank you BLS for posting them.

I thought I'd start posting occasional trades, winners and losers alike. I hope this will force me to document my trades and I hope it will help others out as well.

I trade AUD/USD, GBP/USD, EUR/USD and USD/JPY. I have a laptop and attach 3 monitors. 2 are attached with VGA to USB adapters and one directly with VGA. The attached file is an AUD/USD trade from early in the US session, a few minutes before the US stock market opened.

Chart

Attachments

• AUDUSD3-10-15-1325.png
    AUDUSD3-10-15-1325.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 341
USDJPY Oh Well!

The series of lower highs was indicating a further move down, which it did. I think the entry on the trade here may have been too early. I probably should have entered on the break of the white line.

The inset shows a trade execution error. The blue dashed target line was at 121.195 (9 pip target) and the price went to 121.198. I should have moved my target up about a pip so it was above the 20 level.

The upper blue dashed line indicates where I eventually got stopped out. I set my stops at the 4 or 6 pipette levels, here at the "middle-part break". You may wish to stick to Bob's manual exit method but sometimes its hard for me to pull the trigger especially on a full stop out.

More or less break even on the trade. But hopefully I learned something.

Chart

Attachments

• USDJPY3-11-15-1448wFXCM.jpg
    USDJPY3-11-15-1448wFXCM.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 2,453
I'm going to see if I can post some of Bob's ideas on stock index futures and perhaps some other markets using 5 min charts. I'll use SPY on occasion as it's easier for me to use it once I've shut down my trading platform.

Below are two pattern break setups on the SPY from today (B and C), plus one aggressive setup from yesterday (A).

Some comments. The yellow line in the middle is the close of yesterday. I've found in my research this is by far the most powerful magnet, as opposed to round numbers. I think with the differences between spot and futures, it'd take a very exhaustive test to see which instrument is more respectful of round number levels.

If you notice, in today's trades (B and C), both had to clear the close to get to target. This in my view was justified because the close was well 'chewed through' since the morning, and both trades set up well otherwise. We had great bearish context, the market gapped down yesterday and kept down, today while it didn't continue aggressively, all bulls were disappointed and that made it safe to conservatively stay short.

Concerning trade A, it was aggressive for two reasons: it was shorting into the low of the day, and the buildup was a bit suboptimal. Still, good overall bearish context.

One more thing to think about is time of day. I find that the stock market can be best broken into the following blocks: 9:30 - 11:30, 11:30 - 2:00, and 2:00 - 4:00 (all EST). You have to be wary of the lunch period, that's when adverse magnets become particularly nasty though there are some excellent breakouts if you wait for them to set up. From 2:00 onward there can be trend continuation, but be very careful about shakeout moves that happen around 2-2:30.

Attachments

• SPY031115.png
    SPY031115.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 332
My trade for the day.

The AUD/USD was acting very technical. Note that after the entry it dropped, bounced off a ceiling (at 13:45), went up hit the resistance/entry area then dropped, turned around at the 00 level, went all the way to the top of the small entry cluster, just missing the stop level then went down towards the 00 level again.

Chart

Attachments

• AUDUSD3-12-15-1357.JPG
    AUDUSD3-12-15-1357.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 335
My trade for the day.

The AUD/USD was acting very technical. Note that after the entry it dropped, bounced off a ceiling (at 13:45), went up hit the resistance/entry area then dropped, turned around at the 00 level, went all the way to the top of the small entry cluster, just missing the stop level then went down towards the 00 level again.

Chart

An interesting idea, but I would pass on account of the fact that the market was overall in an up trend, and the strong news spike up threw the market into confusion. As you can see, the market triangulated later on, which is usually what happens when you have strong up followed by strong down. If I would take such an aggressive trade, I would exit aggressively as you did.